Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Christine McVie

Seems to me she is the only Mac member who has gone unscathed in the whole saga of the band. I suppose it might be due to the fact that she's managed to keep her personal life out of the public eye more than the others have.

To many, she is THE true professional of the band. Always conducting herself with restraint and class. I've never heard any dirt on the woman at all. The only things that come to mind would be justified or at least sympathised with. The time she chugged a glass of wine in Lindsey's face after that little fiasco he had with the band on stage....(I forget where), mocking Stevie and puposely playing offkey. And some would wonder what she was thinking when she got involved with Dennis Wilson. I guess we can all relate to falling in love with the wrong person and the consequences we suffer for it.

Christine....so cool, calm, and collected with a rock solid character.

Joe
Old 07-06-2002, 03:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Carne Vaca: And Chilli, regardless of what you say, you know you're a huge Lindsey fan. Not many people get a $3,000 custom-made guitar that is so closely associated with one man unless they are big fans of that man.
"Huge"?? No. "Fan"?? yeah...WAS, and ever decreasingly so. Lindsey has NEVER been in my top 10 of favorite guitarists. Only two guitarists have I ever "idolized"...Clapton & Green. So, maybe, according to your logic, I should just dump my Turner and just play Strat's, right?

Carole Ann had a GREAT point...

Quote:
I'd think it'd be more likely, being a GUITAR PLAYER, that he would be more a fan of the instrument than the player. But I couldn't say for sure.

Maybe if chili is a fan of Baldwin pianos, might this mean he is a "huge fan" of Liberace?
EXACTLY...if I played violin, my first choice would be a Stradivarius, but would that immediately make me a "Huge Fan" of Itsak Perlman?? Would being a Stradivarius owner prevent me from just playing Appalachian "fiddle music" instead of stuffy classical pieces? No.

When I'm in the market for a musical instrument or musical equipment, I want quality for my $$...I want close to the "Best" I can get. My motivation for wanting (and being ever so fortunate to GET) a Turner had nothing to do with how much of a fan of Lindsey's I am/was...and DEFINITELY had nothing to do with getting one "so I could be like Lindsey"...yes, Lindsey turned the WORLD onto Turner Model 1s because he pretty much was the first on the block to have one (and because of the uniqueness of the GUITAR, piqued my interest in seeking out a Turner to see "what the big deal" was with them), but that DOESN'T mean that every friggin' person who gets one is a "huge Lindsey Buckingham fan". I doubt seriously that ONLY Lindsey Buckingham and "huge fans" of his are keeping Rick Turner in business. Remember the funk band "Ohio Players"?? Their guitarist plays a Model 1...I doubt he's a "huge Lindsey Buckingham fan". Also, take the Gibson Les Paul model guitar. Is it only played by "huge fans" of Les Paul, the guitarist?? I don't think so. Just because his NAME is on the guitar, doesn't make everyone who plays one "huge fans" of his. I'd almost bet that HALF the people playing Les Paul guitars these days doesn't even know who the f**k Les Paul IS or further, what his influence on EVERY musician, recording engineer and producer is, either.

I found that a Turner would suit MY needs very well, because it's a fantastically luthiered guitar and it's the most versatile guitar I've ever played. Even if Lindsey hadn't been the one to expose the Turner Model 1 to the world, I'd STILL want one/own one. I can get every tone out of it that I need (with the exception of that Clapton/Knopfler "in between" Strat tone; which is why I still have a Strat, too), and still haven't completely tapped everything I can from it. I play guitar, (like I said above) I want the best guitar that fits me, the Turner Model 1 I have does that. My Turner is as different from Lindsey's Turner as Eric Clapton's Strat is from the "standard" production Strat, both Strats, but configured completely differently...but from a distance, the differences (other than finish & fretboard material) aren't obvious.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Last edited by chiliD; 07-06-2002 at 03:44 AM..
Old 07-06-2002, 06:01 PM

Wink

"So, maybe, according to your logic, I should just dump my Turner and just play Strat's, right?"

Chili, I'll be glad to take it out of your hands.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

Sorry, it's spoken for...even after my demise.

Old 07-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Christine McVie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
The only things that come to mind would be justified or at least sympathised with. The time she chugged a glass of wine in Lindsey's face after that little fiasco he had with the band on stage
Well, I've heard she was drunk for most of the Mirage Tour. But that's a pretty minor thing, and I completely agree with what you are saying about Chris. She really is the true professional of Fleetwood Mac in my opinion.

As for the Mirage Tour drunkness, has anyone noticed something off about YMLF from the Memphis show? It seems that during what should be the first guitar solo, Chris starts the "don't, don't break the spell..." way too early. I have never heard another version with any words during that part. At first I thought maybe they changed the arrangement, until she started Oooohhhing and ahhhhing a minute later when she usually is doing the chorus...the whole song seemed off. Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?
Speaking of being drunk...Lindsey must have been HAMMERED by the end of the night in Memphis. That is one of the most sloppy GYOW versions I have ever heard (voice and guitar were poor), and I'm not sure what some of the words are that he comes out with on Blue Letter. "Ihwasabnuyetta she wrotetume..."