The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I BET Stevie insisted on the 'so beautiful' bit at the end. She said she loved that at the end of Mabel Normand so I guess she wanted it here too. Maybe that's a large part of the writing credit.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That chorus is totally her Rock A Little voice. I thought that voice was gone forever, and I freaking love that it's back.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I BET Stevie insisted on the 'so beautiful' bit at the end. She said she loved that at the end of Mabel Normand so I guess she wanted it here too. Maybe that's a large part of the writing credit.
The end made me tear up!! It's beautiful!

I absolutely LOVE this album. It's fantastic from start to finish. It's not as emotionally impactful as her previous records, but I very much appreciate the breezy atmosphere. I listened to the album for the first time on the beach and it was fantastic.

Stand-outs: Love, Lust for Life, 13 Beaches, God Bless America, Beautiful People Beautiful Problems, Get Free
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
omg i refuse to believe stevie wrote these lyrics.
the music is fine and she sounds great but i hate lana del rey's lyrics deeply lol.
I agree about the lyrics. I haven't heard the song yet, but reading the lyrics made me roll my eyes. I am not a fan of these types of lyrics. That doesn't mean I won't like the song or find it catchy, but the lyrics make me pause.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't taken with some of the lyrics either, but on hearing the song several times today, I love it! Beautiful production, haunting song, and ​inspired combination of Lana Del Rey and Stevie vocals.

I like some of Lana Del Rey's previous music, but it's never made me want to listen to her albums. This song made me immediately want to the listen to the whole album, and it is wonderful. I've had something great to listen to on my day hanging around at home

So glad Stevie was asked to contribute to this.

Good review of the album here:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e-album-review
Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

I was listening to some youtubers album reactions. All of them are very young and a few have never heard of Stevie. The majority of them that are aware of Stevie call her a legend and some know her through coven. They love how both voices compliment each other. Also, it is interesting to watch the ones who hear Stevie for the first time and instantly connect. One of them said she thought Stevie was a guy until listening to the song and that it makes her want to go and check out her other music.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryderi View Post
I was listening to some youtubers album reactions. All of them are very young and a few have never heard of Stevie. The majority of them that are aware of Stevie call her a legend and some know her through coven. They love how both voices compliment each other. Also, it is interesting to watch the ones who hear Stevie for the first time and instantly connect. One of them said she thought Stevie was a guy until listening to the song and that it makes her want to go and check out her other music.
Stevie is getting a lot of attention for this collaboration.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched some of the "reaction videos" of Lana's fans-- they record themselves as they listen to the album for the first time. Everyone comments on how well their voices blend... and amazing how many of them do not know who Stevie is. One chick was like, I was expecting it to be a guy. But now I'm going to have to research who she is and her music. Very smart, Stevie, very smart.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

another thing that struck me..... when Stevie was working outside of FM all the producers were trying to make her sound like mainstream male rock --which sorta made sense given the times. But women have gotten a lot more empowered in music since then... and the female perspective in songs and stuff is more respected now. So while her advisors convinced her she should sound more 'masculine" if you get what I mean, what all the little girls listening out there took from her music was the mystical, airy fairy, girl feelings that Stevie would write about. It's almost like she got pulled too far away from that over the course of her career by her male advisors, and really that's the thing that made her unique and special. And that's the thing all these female writers and singers took from her work and get all sorts of kudos from their fans for.... fans who don't know Stevie and her influence and think all these new girls just made it up themselves. Her introspective lyrics and lush melodies.

I wish she'd show them all how it's done by the master--- show the young girls how great she can be when she doesn't let the male producers and managers around her try and remove the airy fairy, candles and veils (as Jimmy Iovine said in his documentary) that are the very things that make her special. I'd love her to do one more solo album that went back to that side of her..... as someone on here noted, the layered vocals through the end of songs are such a hallmark of her style (Sara, Gold Dust Woman, Beautiful Child, even Storms, etc etc) and all the other little things.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lana does lovely, elaborate music videos. Here's hoping Stevie's track gets one
Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love this song.
Stevie sounds amazing....a bit like a careworn echo of the younger woman.
Goosebumps down my spine.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a huge Lana fan and I listened to the new album in full last night and really love it! BUT, the Stevie duet didn't sound too hot to me. Maybe I need to give it a more spins but those lyrics sounded really clunky and awful. The verses were pretty enough but that chorus needs a lot of work. I wanted to love this song but perhaps I will in time but right now I'm kinda disappointed. I think her duet with Sean Ono Lennon was far superior!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 07-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I'm a huge Lana fan and I listened to the new album in full last night and really love it! BUT, the Stevie duet didn't sound too hot to me. Maybe I need to give it a more spins but those lyrics sounded really clunky and awful. The verses were pretty enough but that chorus needs a lot of work. I wanted to love this song but perhaps I will in time but right now I'm kinda disappointed. I think her duet with Sean Ono Lennon was far superior!
It's like my seventh favorite song off the album. there are 16 songs on this album. This album is pretty much a masterpiece. She is getting great reviews for this.

Cherry and Lust for Life are my two favorite songs right now.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't hear "turtle dove" in Lana's second verse?
I'm not sure but it sort of sound like "Teared up dove", that would actually explain better the following sentence "‘Til it runs red [...] with blood"
Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't hear "turtle dove" in Lana's second verse?
I'm not sure but it sort of sound like "Teared up dove", that would actually explain better the following sentence "‘Til it runs red [...] with blood"
It's turtle dove. I think she is trying to say we are destroying the earth and its creatures.

Last edited by Jondalar; 07-24-2017 at 03:53 PM..