The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: pick favorites from Seeds (multiple choice, pick all songs you love)
Seeds We Sow (acoustic or electric, clarify in the text which one) 21 40.38%
In Our Own Time 30 57.69%
Illumination 26 50.00%
That's the Way Love Goes 28 53.85%
Stars Are Crazy 28 53.85%
When She Comes Down 9 17.31%
Rock Away Blind 35 67.31%
One Take 18 34.62%
Gone Too Far 16 30.77%
End of Time 23 44.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Welcome to The Ledge, SadAngel. And welcome SHN, too

I'm one of the few, I think, who loves WSCD. It is gorgeous, and very Lindsey to me. I'm not going to blast it in the car on my way to work, but it's a great song, and I listen to it sometimes in the evening, and I wouldn't dream of skipping it, or any other song on my favorite Lindsey album.

I love your last statement so much. His stuff does often take time to fully appreciate, but that's what makes it so good. If you're willing and able to invest a little extra time in him, more often than not, he'll reward you. There's so much to love in his music, and I never tire of his songs, since it seems like I'm always hearing something new with each listen. Most people won't take that time, and will simply write his music off as being too weird. He's said it himself, that his music isn't for everyone. It's for those that get it, and appreciate it for what it is.

You sound like me a couple years ago. I much preferred live versions to albums, but as I said, he keeps growing on me, and now I really have no preference! In fact, though I understand exactly what you mean about the over production, and I used to wonder the same thing about if he didn't like his voice, I really don't think his voice is all that engineered on SWS. It actually sounds like his real voice to me, maybe a bit higher, but not glaringly so. His voice in concert is stronger, and he sings more in lower registers, but when he sings in his higher register, it sounds a lot like his voice on his albums to me. I also don't think he's embarrassed by his voice in the least (as well he shouldn't be!). Once you've seen him live, you won't wonder about that any more I think he just likes that particular sound, and of course, he loves tweaking and perfecting everything he does.

I hope he tours in 2014. In fact, I'll be in serious depression if he doesn't His live show is awe inspiring, and whatever it takes, you should find a way to go. No way will you regret it, and it may be the best concert you ever go to
And that's exactly what I did. I started off slowly, and I don't actually remember which of his albums I first listened to, it may have been Seeds We Sow. And you are absolutely right in saying that at each listen there always seems to be something new to listen to. I'm listening to Gone Too Far right now, a song I had dismissed pretty much but now love.

And he did say that! I remember distinctly watching a youtube vid where he says the exact thing!I hope I won't wonder anymore when/if I ever see him live! I've watched so many videos from people who've gone and it just seems like an amazing experience. Yes, let's hope for a tour in 2014! For now, I'm satisfied with the Mac show I'm going to in about 60 days.

Thanks for the welcome, Lindsfan!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadAngel86 View Post
I'm listening to Gone Too Far right now, a song I had dismissed pretty much but now love.
Possibly my favorite on the album. Just luscious and ephemeral.

Michele
Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Ledgie

I agree w the above posts! Now that I have seen my share of area Mac shows (possibly Newark on 24th????), I feel like, ok , Mac now finish touring already so Lindsey can get his next solo tour together
Seriously, when I think of the effort and expense and size of crowd, etc. with seeing FM, I shake my head in amazement that I can sit one foot from his mike stand at a place like bb kings for about $50 tops and only a couple hundred people in the room! They are such great shows!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

End Of Time...either version.

Really REALLY disappointed in the re-recording of "She Smiled Sweetly". The original leaked GOS version is darned near even better than the Rolling Stones' original. He should've just left it alone and released that version.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Ledgie

That's the Way Love Goes
Stars Are Crazy
Rock Away Blind
One Take
End of Time
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
End Of Time...either version.

Really REALLY disappointed in the re-recording of "She Smiled Sweetly". The original leaked GOS version is darned near even better than the Rolling Stones' original. He should've just left it alone and released that version.
agree. completely.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
agree. completely.
I skip that. I'm glad he never finalized Blue Turns to Gray, which I also loved.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I skip that. I'm glad he never finalized Blue Turns to Gray, which I also loved.

Michele
hmm, i would feel the same if he doesn't put out Deep Dense that he has already and decides to re-record it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
hmm, i would feel the same if he doesn't put out Deep Dense that he has already and decides to re-record it.
Are there any songs that we think sound better than the demo?

Now, for me, the one that comes close is My Little Demon. I don't exactly think My Little Demon sounds better, but it's different and I like having both. But there are many songs that people say sounded better before. I'm not sure I agree, but do you think there are any that sounded better when officially recorded and released?

I love Given Thing, Deep Dense and Steve's Riff and I want them finished, but I would have to trust Lindsey not to ruin them.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are there any songs that we think sound better than the demo?

Now, for me, the one that comes close is My Little Demon. I don't exactly think My Little Demon sounds better, but it's different and I like having both. But there are many songs that people say sounded better before. I'm not sure I agree, but do you think there are any that sounded better when officially recorded and released?

I love Given Thing, Deep Dense and Steve's Riff and I want them finished, but I would have to trust Lindsey not to ruin them.

Michele
There is a demo for My Little Demon?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
There is a demo for My Little Demon?
Yes. Maybe I'm using the wrong word and shouldn't call it "demo." But there is a rough version of it and it is slower and it gives me a different vibe. The Dance version is like saying, "I want to keep that volatile side of me tamed," and the slow version is saying, "it's all that I can do to keep from coming after you sexually."

But maybe that's just the way I hear it.

Michele
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. Maybe I'm using the wrong word and shouldn't call it "demo." But there is a rough version of it and it is slower and it gives me a different vibe. The Dance version is like saying, "I want to keep that volatile side of me tamed," and the slow version is saying, "it's all that I can do to keep from coming after you sexually."

But maybe that's just the way I hear it.

Michele
So my next question is does anyone have this to share with me? I need it for research purposes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
So my next question is does anyone have this to share with me? I need it for research purposes
If you don't have it yet, PM me your email and I'll send you what's on my computer. You know how this junk is labeled so without listening you never know what's duplicated or not. One says guitar, one says track, one says rare demo. They're slightly different in file size length, so I'll send all.

Michele
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you don't have it yet, PM me your email and I'll send you what's on my computer. You know how this junk is labeled so without listening you never know what's duplicated or not. One says guitar, one says track, one says rare demo. They're slightly different in file size length, so I'll send all.

Michele
Thank you Michele! PM on the way...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

Ooh Michelle you just made me wanna dig out "My Little Demon". I don't think i interpreted the rough take the same way you did, but I reeeeeeaaly want to interpret it that way, so yes i shall be "researching" too when i can!