The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mr. Buckingham and I have never discussed the essence of Tex-Mex (NY Times article)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/di...ng&oref=slogin

October 24, 2007
A Celebration of Tex-Mex, Without Apology
By JOE DRAPE
WHEN I arrived in Texas as a college freshman in 1980, there were a great many things I knew nothing about. Among them were Tony Lama boots, espadrilles and Tex-Mex food. I remain clueless about the Lone Star State’s indigenous footwear, but I continue to search for the perfect enchilada.

Somehow, I blame Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. Mr. Buckingham and I have never discussed the essence of Tex-Mex. We have never spoken at all. His road manager, however, gave me and each of my three buddies $20 and a ticket to a Fleetwood Mac concert so he could cut the line at Herrera’s, then a 30-seat cafe on its way to becoming a Dallas institution.

When you’re 18 at a B.Y.O.B. place with a cooler full of beer, being paid to wait is not a problem. Once we sat down, I understood why Mr. Buckingham shelled out $80 to get at the $5 combination platter. What I tasted for the first time was extraordinary: Cheese, meat and chili gravy all swirled together, encased in tortillas and buttressed by rice and refried beans.

I’ve been hooked ever since, which has become a curse. It’s hard to be a Tex-Mex aficionado when you don’t live in Texas.

I have come across the authentic article in such likely places as Phoenix, as well as such unlikely ones as Wilmington, Del. My current home, New York City? Let’s just say it remains con-queso challenged.

So recently I returned to the great state of Texas to get lost in my very own tamale triangle: San Antonio, Houston and Dallas. When I learned that the government of Mexico flew in the owners of 50 Mexican restaurants in the United States and Canada this summer to teach them what’s authentic and what’s not, the expedition picked up some gravity.

Among food snobs, the Mexican vs. Tex-Mex argument has been raging for decades. It is a wrongheaded debate, according to Robb Walsh, who wrote “The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Photos and Recipes” (Broadway, 2004).

“Tex-Mex isn’t Mexican food,” said Mr. Walsh. “It is an American regional cuisine. So why do we have to apologize to Mexico for it?”

Mr. Walsh said the late food writer Waverley Root got it right when he described Tex-Mex as “native foreign food.”

“It is native, for it does not exist elsewhere; it was born on this soil,” Root wrote in “Eating in America: A History”(William Morrow & Co., 1976), with Richard de Rochemont. “But it is foreign in that its inspiration came from an alien cuisine.”

After the book was published, of course, Tex-Mex moved into the mainstream, and that was where the trouble started. Between microwaved burritos in convenience stores and nacho platters served with two-for-one margaritas in casual chains across the land, Tex-Mex got itself a bad reputation.

The history of Tex-Mex begins with the “chili queens” of San Antonio, who in the late 1800s transformed the plazas of the city into destinations for everyone from soldiers to tourists in silk hats to Mexican bootblacks, all seeking generous portions of chili and beans, with a tortilla on the side — for a dime.

It is hard to pin down experts and restaurateurs as to what happened to Mexican food when it crossed the border. The best explanation is perhaps the most inelegant: it got cheesier, chili-er and meatier.

“Cal-Mex is long on burritos and sour cream,” Mr. Walsh said. “In New Mexico, it’s all about green chilies, and in Arizona they are proud to have invented chimichangas — deep-fried burritos. The embodiment of Tex-Mex is a cheese enchilada with gravy.”

While superior Tex-Mex food may be specific to Texas, it is hardly restricted to one region or city. In 10 years as a Texas resident, I learned that there is no such thing as a best Tex-Mex restaurant in any given city. Instead, there are favorites recommended by locals. This is because the restaurants are family run, and the true Tex-Mex aficionado is usually a good neighbor who supports more than one family.

San Antonio is arguably the cuisine’s Paris, the place where dozens of top-notch restaurants have built on the foundation of the chili queens, but have not been afraid of injecting their own artistry. No place embodies this better than El Mirador, which since 1967 has been owned and operated by the Trevino family.

Each morning Maria Trevino, 97, is in the kitchen as the fresh fruits and vegetables are delivered to the restaurant, an ivy-covered stucco building at the edge of downtown. Her handwritten recipes, kept in a large book, have been handed down for generations in her family in Guanajuato, Mexico, or the family of her late husband Julian, who was from Salinas Victoria.

Doña Mari, as she is known to the patrons she’s been serving for nearly four decades, watches over the preparations of all of El Mirador’s sauces. None is made more painstakingly than the mole, which is prepared only once a week. It takes a whole day to get the right blend of ground chili peppers and nuts — among them almonds and pecans — to go with the cacao, sugar and cinnamon.

You can taste that effort when the mole is presented over a plate of enchiladas. It gives the cheese a sweet, chocolate flavor and teases the smokiness out of the beef and chicken.

The Trevinos regard the Tex-Mex label as a slur, something more appropriate for the food served at Taco Bell. They also shrug off the notion that their life’s work sometimes is treated like the Rodney Dangerfield of cuisines.

On Saturday afternoons, they get their due respect when, just like in the days of the chili queens, a cross section of San Antonio waits in line for El Mirador’s famous soups, which hew closely to the traditional soups across the border. Within hours, three days of work disappears. By itself, the sopa Azteca — a spicy tomato broth filled with chicken, spinach, avocado, peppers, potatoes, cheese and tortilla strips — requires seven chickens and 12 pounds of tomatoes.

“If we were in France and someone came and watched what went on in our kitchen and then tasted our food, we would be considered a highfalutin restaurant,” said Diana Trevino, who with her husband, Julian, Maria’s son, now operates El Mirador.

So what is the essence of Tex-Mex? I drove 200 miles east on Interstate 10 to Houston to try to answer that question.

San Antonio lays a legitimate claim to high-end Tex-Mex (if there is such a thing) and Dallas leans Anglo with its fajitas and frozen margaritas. But in Houston, Texas’s largest city, the cuisine is part of the fabric of everyday life. Perhaps that is because more than 37 percent of Houston’s residents are Hispanic, according to United States census figures from 2000.

“I discover a new Tex-Mex gem every week,” said Mr. Walsh, who is the restaurant critic for the Houston Press.

Neon signs flicker above pastel storefronts promising excellent Mexican food in virtually every block of the city. The trick is to figure out which places will deliver on that promise.

Here are a few guidelines: 1. It has to be family-owned. 2. A ramshackle space with added-on rooms is a positive. The most successful Tex-Mex restaurants started small and expanded due to popular demand. 3. It’s best if the patrons in the dining room look like the face of democracy. You want a mix of gringos and Hispanic customers; professionals and laborers.

Joe Gonzalez who, with his wife, Alma, opened El Jardin in 1975, offers a fourth tip: take careful measure of the chips and salsa.

“It’s the first thing that hits the table,” Mr. Gonzalez said. “Are the chips and salsa homemade, or does it taste like they’re from a bag and a jar? Right there you know if you’re in for the real thing, or they’re trying to save money.”

El Jardin’s chips are warm, crisp and greaseless. Its salsa is fresh and chunky and does not slide off the chip. The dining room has walls painted in pale blues and yellows. El Jardin has expanded over the years, adding more straight-back straw-seated chairs; it now seats 80.

Lawyers in shirt sleeves, who make the 10-minute drive from downtown, and engineers from the nearby construction giant KBR eat side by side with dusty construction workers. The Coronas are ice cold, the ambient chatter bilingual.

Steaming combination platters of beef tacos and guacamole-topped chicken flautas cover the tables. For $5.55, the No. 16 was paralyzing — three pork tamales steamed in cornhusks dripped with gravy and cheese. You want to take a nap after lunch.

“The essence of Tex-Mex?” Mr. Gonzalez asked. “I don’t know for certain. I’d like to think it is comfort food prepared like we make at home when we’re feeding our families. And it’s inexpensive.”

It is easy to feel like a Texan after three days of tacos, tamales, chiles rellenos and enchiladas, especially when Willie Nelson and Toby Keith are on the radio belting out a red-blooded anthem with the righteous chorus of “Whiskey for my men/beer for my horses.”

By that time, I was pulling into Dallas for my return to Herrera’s, where this obsession with Tex-Mex began. Not surprisingly, it has outgrown its original site and in 1989 moved across Maple Avenue to a space that seats 175 people.

Herrera’s still doesn’t have a liquor license. Instead of a cooler, I had a couple of Negro Modelos in a brown paper bag. There were no rock stars on hand. There was a pair of police officers, some college students, and more than a few young families.

Larry and Nora Ontiveros now own Herrera’s. Thirty-six years ago, Larry’s grandmother, Amelie Herrera, opened it with $200, her own pots and pans and the free labor of her extended family.

“She was from right here in Dallas,” said Nora, 52. “We’re Mexican-Americans. It was her recipes, and it is our own style of cooking.”

I ordered what I have ordered there for 27 years: an enchilada plate, one cheese, one chicken, one beef, and a hard taco on the side. I poured the salsa over all of it, and dredged the rice through the refried beans.

I should have brought three beers. I had to nurse the second one so it would last through my finishing ritual: I scoop the last drop of red sauce, every bean and grain of rice with the tortilla chips until my plate is white.

Neither the government of Mexico nor the high priests of that country’s cuisine are going to get an apology from me. In the Lone Star state, Tex-Mex is as authentic as any food can be.

Last edited by Livia; 10-24-2007 at 02:58 PM..
Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seeing Lindsey and eating great Tex-Mex-food in -not Dallas, but Austin- brings back good memories, Livia!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep! I can't believe this guy has no love for Austin. Chuy's has pretty damn good Tex-Mex. So do about 1000 other places. He could've made Austin-SA-Houston his triangle. Eff Dallas.

There's a new place in my neighborhood getting great reviews. They've got a breakfast quesadilla. The breakfast taco is a mainstay, but the quesadilla sounds interesting.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Yep! I can't believe this guy has no love for Austin. Chuy's has pretty damn good Tex-Mex. So do about 1000 other places. He could've made Austin-SA-Houston his triangle. Eff Dallas.

There's a new place in my neighborhood getting great reviews. They've got a breakfast quesadilla. The breakfast taco is a mainstay, but the quesadilla sounds interesting.
gettin' hungry over here....

Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

getting hungry, too