Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfabbsy View Post
I have been listening to the 3 "disc" digital edition from HD Tracks - and have been loving the revisit of Mirage over the last couple of days. The Mirage live concert really cemented my love of Fleetwood Mac all those years ago, after I got over the initial cringe of the moments of drug-fuelled excess, I learnt to see the amazing musicianship and creativity and it become one of my favourite Fleetwood Mac live recordings ever, particularly "The Chain" and "Sisters of the Moon". The version of "Songbird" on that is also unique to that tour, at least to my knowledge, with Christine doing some really beautiful, tinkly piano playing from the 1:55 mark....I always miss that little instrumental part in other live recordings as the song evolved.

One thing I did miss from the set is the 5:21 version of Gypsy....as it extends my favourite part of the song significantly....lots more calls out for the "Bright Eyes" and more guitar solo....but no biggie, as it is readily available on the Chain box set.
The LIve CD sounds so good in my car.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
So many surprises on the 5.1 surround mix, if you haven't listened to it yet and you have it you should listen to it. Almost like a new album with so many added extras ... I was blown away by all the extra vocals and harmonies I heard for the first time. "That's alright" has a totally different feel, landing somewhere between the original and the new alternate mix. I can see me coming back to this DVD many many times.
I love all the "new" vocals that you can't hear in the regular mix of the album. "That's Alright" is truly superb. The 5.1 mix is bright and brings up Lindsey's incredible guitar work. And yes, those harmonies are classic Buckingham Nicks.

I'm also hearing new "I still see your bright eyes" in "Gypsy" just before Lindsey's solo. Maybe it's a studio trick, but I've never noticed it before. I like how the solo runs about 10 seconds longer, with a nice cymbal crash at the 5:01 mark.

"Eyes of the World" is another standout 5.1 track. Wow, so much goodness going on there. It almost sounds symphonic is parts.

Last edited by SpyNote; 09-29-2016 at 11:21 PM..
Old 09-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm curious... why or how is it that the DVD audio sounds so different and better than the CD? Is it the technology of the DVD itself, or do you have to have surround sound? I just don't understand why there are differences and would appreciate an explanation, preferably in as simplest terms as possible. I have a DVD player but I never use it to listen to music.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I'm curious... why or how is it that the DVD audio sounds so different and better than the CD? Is it the technology of the DVD itself, or do you have to have surround sound? I just don't understand why there are differences and would appreciate an explanation, preferably in as simplest terms as possible. I have a DVD player but I never use it to listen to music.

Thanks!
DVD audio uses a higher bite rate and broader frequency spectrum. I'm simple terms it is less compressed than what a CD can do. It's closer to being Vinl quality of sound. This is why Super Audio CD and DVD audio are what audiophiles buy when thy are not hoarding vinyl. CDs are nice but even a well mastered CD pales to a good vinyl. This is why having the remastered vinyl will be nice
Old 09-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Registered

Quote:

Thanks!
try googling it
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, AnthonyMI! It's so odd to me there's such a difference in quality, since on the surface a CD and DVD look the same. I wonder why companies don't sell the audio DVDs on their own then?

And just to be clear, the audio DVD is the original recording, and not something that the band added to the recording later, right?
Old 09-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
Yeah, with the 5.1 surround sound system. Honestly sounds superb.
How much difference is there playing it on a 5.1 surround system as opposed to decent computer speakers or a tv soundbar. Cause I've played it on both the latter options and am still hearing some significant and cool nuances of the songs. Is it worth the investment of buying a 5.1 surround system? I believe they are relatively cheap, so I may just do it anyway.

Last edited by jwd; 09-30-2016 at 03:15 PM..
Old 09-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Omg...this version of If You Were My Love is so far superior than the long..dull..meandering , suck-ass version on 24k. Now, I actually like the song.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks!
The other benefit to 5.1 is there is potential to "spread out" the music more...as an example, an instrument could get it's own speaker and therefore not be lost in the mix.

Think of it as the difference between a "constructed" dessert where everything is mixed together into one plate.....compared to a "deconstructed" dessert where you can see all the ingredients and be able to focus on each one.

I'm not the best with analogies, but I tried
Old 09-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Think about it....which songs on the new Mirage package sound passionate and compelling and which sound formulated and contrived? I was 22 and listened to Mirage hundreds of times when it was released, and now think some outtakes would have been better choices.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfabbsy View Post
The other benefit to 5.1 is there is potential to "spread out" the music more...as an example, an instrument could get it's own speaker and therefore not be lost in the mix.

Think of it as the difference between a "constructed" dessert where everything is mixed together into one plate.....compared to a "deconstructed" dessert where you can see all the ingredients and be able to focus on each one.

I'm not the best with analogies, but I tried
That is a GREAT analogy, thank you so much. I didn't buy the Deluxe Mirage, but I did buy the Deluxe Tusk, and just never bothered to listen to the audio DVD. I'll do so this weekend.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is a GREAT analogy, thank you so much. I didn't buy the Deluxe Mirage, but I did buy the Deluxe Tusk, and just never bothered to listen to the audio DVD. I'll do so this weekend.
To get the true benefits of the DVD Audio, it's best to have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system. Without it, the DVD will still sound fab, but you'll be missing all the cool stuff that comes out of the other 3 and a half speakers.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Think about it....which songs on the new Mirage package sound passionate and compelling and which sound formulated and contrived? I was 22 and listened to Mirage hundreds of times when it was released, and now think some outtakes would have been better choices.
Agreed! I absolutely adore and can't get enough of the alternate version of "Wish You Were Here" with that string arrangement! It's gorgeous! Why in the HELL did they not use it???

Also, I've always hated "Empire State" and always touted it as my least favorite Lindsey song! But I'm TOTALLY digging the pop punk alternate version. It's rad!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
To get the true benefits of the DVD Audio, it's best to have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system. Without it, the DVD will still sound fab, but you'll be missing all the cool stuff that comes out of the other 3 and a half speakers.
I don't have surround sound, so thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Omg...this version of If You Were My Love is so far superior than the long..dull..meandering , suck-ass version on 24k. Now, I actually like the song.
I'm fine that it was cut from Mirage. It always sounded like two different songs to me. The verses, the way she sang them in the '80s, were delicate and beautiful. And then it transitioned into a funky chorus that really clashed. Whenever I listen to it, I'm reminded of Gilda Radner and Steve Martin dancing in the dark on SNL. I tried to find that clip to embed, but it's strangely not posted anywhere, so here's the visual.