User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Tango In The Night

First Impression.

I'm a fairly young FM fan (24) and although I've loved Rumours, S/T and Bella Donna for a decade I've actually never listened to Tusk, Mirage and TITN in their entirety before. Of course I'm familiar with most of the singles from these albums and the ones performed on The Dance though. So, I've decided to rectify this glaring omission and I've begun with Tango.

I'm sort of surprised that Christine McVie's contributions are the stand out of the entire album. Mainly because her 80's solo record is mostly unremarkable. On Tango, however, she gets in the best songs with Everywhere and Little Lies. Isn't It Midnight is a great jam and a very typical McVie song. Mystified is a bit odd with it's almost "Let's Get It On" mood and You and I, Part II is fun.

Stevie's songs lack the urgency that her material from S/T & Rumours have. Seven Wonders feels very much like a solo track and Welcome to the Room Sara is largely forgettable. When I See You Again is fantastic but far from a masterwork.

And Lindsey... *sigh*, I find his tracks on this album insufferable. I've always found Big Love to be a bit pretentious and jarring to listen to and Family Man has to be one of his worst songs. Caroline and the title track are both fairly boring. I like Lindsey but his work in the 80's is indulgent to a fault.

Overall it's a good album. I almost wish it was a follow up to McVie's self titled record because she seemed to be on quite a roll during this period. Unfortunately Nicks offers very little and Buckingham is still on a mission to prove how clever he can be.

B-

I hope I haven't made any enemies with my thoughts and welcome some observations from more seasoned fans of the band.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
First Impression.

I'm a fairly young FM fan (24) and although I've loved Rumours, S/T and Bella Donna for a decade I've actually never listened to Tusk, Mirage and TITN in their entirety before. Of course I'm familiar with most of the singles from these albums and the ones performed on The Dance though. So, I've decided to rectify this glaring omission and I've begun with Tango.

I'm sort of surprised that Christine McVie's contributions are the stand out of the entire album. Mainly because her 80's solo record is mostly unremarkable. On Tango, however, she gets in the best songs with Everywhere and Little Lies. Isn't It Midnight is a great jam and a very typical McVie song. Mystified is a bit odd with it's almost "Let's Get It On" mood and You and I, Part II is fun.

Stevie's songs lack the urgency that her material from S/T & Rumours have. Seven Wonders feels very much like a solo track and Welcome to the Room Sara is largely forgettable. When I See You Again is fantastic but far from a masterwork.

And Lindsey... *sigh*, I find his tracks on this album insufferable. I've always found Big Love to be a bit pretentious and jarring to listen to and Family Man has to be one of his worst songs. Caroline and the title track are both fairly boring. I like Lindsey but his work in the 80's is indulgent to a fault.

Overall it's a good album. I almost wish it was a follow up to McVie's self titled record because she seemed to be on quite a roll during this period. Unfortunately Nicks offers very little and Buckingham is still on a mission to prove how clever he can be.

B-

I hope I haven't made any enemies with my thoughts and welcome some observations from more seasoned fans of the band.
You heard Christine's solo album before you heard Tusk, Mirage, and Tango??

I'm also 24 btw. I first got into FM in 1998 with an old cassette tape my Dad had of Rumours that he recorded from the vinyl. And I got The Dance after that and then went through the rest of the BN era albums. I got Christine's album when it came out in 2004 and I only recently heard her 80's album. I'm also a fan of Lindsey's solo work and have all of his albums. Tusk is definitely my favorite album. There's just so much different stuff on it and it's all good. 20 songs. So you have that to look forward to.

Tango isn't an album I listen to very often at all. It's got some good songs on it ...it also has a couple mediocre songs....Stevie being the main culprit, but the 80's production is a bit of a turn off. Everywhere is easily better on The Dance. I definitely disagree on Lindsey's song. Big Love is good, but I like The Dance version the best. I dig Caroline and Tango a lot though. I like Family Man too. Basically I like all of Christine and Lindsey's song and I don't much care for Stevie's songs.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 02-18-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it when people write personal reviews! I don't know why, I just do

Quote:

For me, TITN is one of my favourite albums because of Christine's songs. I think her songs on Tango are out of this world.

Quote:
Welcome to the Room Sara is largely forgettable.
For me, it's always been one that stands out I love everything about it and when I was very young, somone would mention 'Sara' and I'd immediatley go on to sing WTTRS because I've always preferred it

Quote:
Here, I disagree, slightly. The title track was one of the first FM songs I fell in love with and to this day I can't get enough of it. I do, however, agree about Big Love, it's never been a favourite and 9/10 times I do skip it.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Weird, eh? I found her solo record on vinyl the same time I got Bella Donna on vinyl. I also got her 2004 record when it came out because I was at the peak of my FM interest at the time. I've only listened to her 80's album a few times and for the life of me can't remember a single song on it. It is the definition of forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I love it when people write personal reviews! I don't know why, I just do

For me, TITN is one of my favourite albums because of Christine's songs. I think her songs on Tango are out of this world.

For me, it's always been one that stands out I love everything about it and when I was very young, somone would mention 'Sara' and I'd immediatley go on to sing WTTRS because I've always preferred it

Here, I disagree, slightly. The title track was one of the first FM songs I fell in love with and to this day I can't get enough of it. I do, however, agree about Big Love, it's never been a favourite and 9/10 times I do skip it.
Well, there is always time for these songs to grow on me.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Ripley;872341]Weird, eh? I found her solo record on vinyl the same time I got Bella Donna on vinyl. QUOTE]

Wow! To find that album on vinyl is brilliant and really quite unusual/lucky! I really, really want it on vinyl but I find it hard to track down without paying exorbitant prices. I haven;t looked on ebay for a little while though....
Old 02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Junior Ledgie

[QUOTE=Dodfather;872344]
Quote:
Weird, eh? I found her solo record on vinyl the same time I got Bella Donna on vinyl. QUOTE]

Wow! To find that album on vinyl is brilliant and really quite unusual/lucky! I really, really want it on vinyl but I find it hard to track down without paying exorbitant prices. I haven;t looked on ebay for a little while though....
I found a near mint version (opened but with shrinkwrap still on it) at the flea market for like a dollar. I'm talking about the 1984 one not the Christine Perfect album.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Ripley;872345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post

I found a near mint version (opened but with shrinkwrap still on it) at the flea market for like a dollar. I'm talking about the 1984 one not the Christine Perfect album.
Yeah, I knew you meant that 1984 one. Again, this makes me very jealous!!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

[QUOTE=Dodfather;872348]
Quote:

Yeah, I knew you meant that 1984 one. Again, this makes me very jealous!!
There are a bunch of copies of it on Ebay right now for less than 5 dollars.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This one's on eBay, £5.75 with free P&P in the UK, 6 hours left on it too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHRISTINE-McVI...item3a57af267a

You're lucky I'm broke or I'd have had that

Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This one's on eBay, £5.75 with free P&P in the UK, 6 hours left on it too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHRISTINE-McVI...item3a57af267a

You're lucky I'm broke or I'd have had that
Oooohh - I want it! I'm broke too but might have to just go for it. I do get paid tomorrow after all (although most of it is already budgeted for bills - boo!)
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Oooohh - I want it! I'm broke too but might have to just go for it. I do get paid tomorrow after all (although most of it is already budgeted for bills - boo!)
But it's Chris! And only a fiver I'm a good influence, I promise.

What if you never find it that cheap again D:

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

OK, So far I LOVE Tusk. I really expected this to be a disaster but its really enjoyable. I'm really impressed with the sound of the record. It sounds incredible. Even the songs featuring synth dont sound dated.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post

I'm also 24 btw. I first got into FM in 1998 with an old cassette tape my Dad had of Rumours that he recorded from the vinyl. And I got The Dance after that and then went through the rest of the BN era albums. I got Christine's album when it came out in 2004 and I only recently heard her 80's album. I'm also a fan of Lindsey's solo work and have all of his albums. Tusk is definitely my favorite album. There's just so much different stuff on it and it's all good. 20 songs. So you have that to look forward to.

Tango isn't an album I listen to very often at all. It's got some good songs on it ...it also has a couple mediocre songs....Stevie being the main culprit, but the 80's production is a bit of a turn off. Everywhere is easily better on The Dance. I definitely disagree on Lindsey's song. Big Love is good, but I like The Dance version the best. I dig Caroline and Tango a lot though. I like Family Man too. Basically I like all of Christine and Lindsey's song and I don't much care for Stevie's songs.
It's the exact opposite for me. Stevie's two songs save the album for me (I don't consider "Seven Wonders" a Stevie song, it's a Sandy song).
Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, So far I LOVE Tusk. I really expected this to be a disaster but its really enjoyable. I'm really impressed with the sound of the record. It sounds incredible. Even the songs featuring synth dont sound dated.
The CD, I take it? Or have you had the patience to get the vinyl out of the darn inners I keep my two disks in two clear record sleeves so I'm not fighting to get it in and out of the card sleeves and I can actually listen to it.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
The CD, I take it? Or have you had the patience to get the vinyl out of the darn inners I keep my two disks in two clear record sleeves so I'm not fighting to get it in and out of the card sleeves and I can actually listen to it.
Yes, CD.