Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Oscar quotas?

Well it looks like Will Smith never got his Oscar nomination, so now he and his wife want people to boycott the oscars. I guess political correctness hijacks everything these day, including award shows. I'm not going to be watching the oscars because they've turned it into a sideshow and I know Chris Rock is going to be making quips the whole night. Pretty gross.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

This seems to be big news everywhere. Honestly however, are the Oscars really that big a deal these days or have any real credibility?

I don't agree with a quota on nominations, but the committee could do with fairer representation.

The current President of the Academy is an African American woman, Cheryl Boone Isaacs. She is the first African American and third woman to have the role, and has issued a statement: “The academy is taking dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership. In the coming days and weeks we will conduct a review of our membership recruitment in order to bring about much-needed diversity in our 2016 class and beyond.”

They don't publish a list of members but in 2012 the Los Angeles tried to do a survey and claimed that more than 90 per cent were white, and more than 70 per cent male.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

That is an imbalance that needs to be addressed (will be a huge overhaul) but it's been a long time since I had an interest in the Oscars anyway.

Last edited by Missy; 01-23-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, they have used Jada Pinkett Smith's Kanya West moment to make change. So what happens next year, when no people of color are nominated again? Will Black Live Matters protest Hollywood? They protest over anything. After all, everyone is ENTITLED to get an oscar now or it's a INJUSTICE by racist HOLLYWOOD (which is full the most liberal people on the planet).

Cheryl Boone Isaacs has done nothing but politicize and turn it into politically correct joke. What happens to the next of person of color who wins an oscar? Let's congratulate on them on their color. Doesn't matter if they've earned it or not.

RIDICULOUS! And Will and Jada should be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for them.

Last edited by Jondalar; 01-23-2016 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM

It's high time that the Oscar Academy should represent fairly the actors of non white ethnicity but I'm against quote in general. Every nomination has to be earned because of its real worth.
However I think Will Smith is just trying to use this situation to his advantage and gather more attention for himself.
Yes, Oscars aren't important like they were once but they still represent an important status symbol for actors. It's unfortunate that in the last years there have been so many undeserved victories.
Having said that I hope this year Leo gets the award.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-24-2016 at 07:01 AM..
Old 01-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quotas are certainly not the answer but it does seem likely there's institutional racism involved somewhere along the lines.
No black actors out of the 40 nominations for the top acting awards over the past two years?
either;
a) there's less of an inclination amongst the mainly white voters to vote for black people.
or
b) there's less opportunity for black actors to fill top roles.

oh, I forgot...
or
c) black (and other ethnically diverse) people just can't act.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Will Smith's former costar responds to the Oscar Boycott.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still believe these award shows are fixed.Or maybe they are not.Who knows.
Atlease they should give everybody a chance to win.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I still believe these award shows are fixed.Or maybe they are not.Who knows.
Atlease they should give everybody a chance to win.
Everybody did have a chance did win and people of color have actually won in the past. Whoopie Goldberg, Hallie Berry, Jennifer Hudson, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Octavia Spencer...
Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Firstly, I don't quite see the point of boycotting the Oscars ala Will and Jada. I think awards shows are a great platform to speak your mind and represent yourself. By not showing up they are depriving themselves not only of the opportunity to tell the large audience that will be watching their thoughts on the matter, but also to represent and promote their own projects that weren't nominated.

That said, I understand where Jada is coming from and she is not the only one frustrated by the deplorable lack of diversity represented in shows like the Oscars!

I believe the #1 problem is that there are too few opportunities for people of color in Hollywood. Even right now everyone mainly mentions Straight Outta Compton, Beasts of No Nation and Creed as the films that should have been nominated in more categories and I just think... Really??? There are something like 50+ films nominated this year and only THREE showcase people of color in roles worthy of an Oscar?? And that's not even just on screen, but behind the camera as well?? That's insane to me, and I think it needs to be rectified ASAP.

Next, I think that Academy voters need to watch more movies. When the majority of movies with POC casts (that they seem to nominate for Oscars anyway) are about slavery, I think that says something about the mentality of the average Academy voter. White guilt, perhaps? And I just read an article today that talked about how Academy voters haven't necessarily even seen all of the films in a given category when they vote... Um, what?? How can you judge which film is best if you haven't even seen all the choices??

TV is making waayyy larger steps in terms of diversity; just look at recent shows like Sense8, How To Get Away With Murder, or Quantico, which showcase racially diverse casts and characters of different sexualities and backgrounds without having the single defining storyline of a character center around their so-called "minority" as though that's all they have to offer. I am not in favor of quotas, don't get me wrong, but it amazes me that even in programs that take place in 2016, it's assumed during casting that a character is white and straight unless otherwise specified, as though everything is a period drama from like the 1800s or something.

I loved how Viola Davis commented in her 2015 Emmys acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Drama, "You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there." That seems to be true for award shows across the board.

And that is my two cents.

Last edited by lilyfee; 01-24-2016 at 12:36 AM..
Old 01-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
Firstly, I don't quite see the point of boycotting the Oscars ala Will and Jada. I think awards shows are a great platform to speak your mind and represent yourself. By not showing up they are depriving themselves not only of the opportunity to tell the large audience that will be watching their thoughts on the matter, but also to represent and promote their own projects that weren't nominated.

That said, I understand where Jada is coming from and she is not the only one frustrated by the deplorable lack of diversity represented in shows like the Oscars!

I believe the #1 problem is that there are too few opportunities for people of color in Hollywood. Even right now everyone mainly mentions Straight Outta Compton, Beasts of No Nation and Creed as the films that should have been nominated in more categories and I just think... Really??? There are something like 50+ films nominated this year and only THREE showcase people of color in roles worthy of an Oscar?? And that's not even just on screen, but behind the camera as well?? That's insane to me, and I think it needs to be rectified ASAP.

Next, I think that Academy voters need to watch more movies. When the majority of movies with POC casts (that they seem to nominate for Oscars anyway) are about slavery, I think that says something about the mentality of the average Academy voter. White guilt, perhaps? And I just read an article today that talked about how Academy voters haven't necessarily even seen all of the films in a given category when they vote... Um, what?? How can you judge which film is best if you haven't even seen all the choices??

TV is making waayyy larger steps in terms of diversity; just look at recent shows like Sense8, How To Get Away With Murder, or Quantico, which showcase racially diverse casts and characters of different sexualities and backgrounds without having the single defining storyline of a character center around their so-called "minority" as though that's all they have to offer. I am not in favor of quotas, don't get me wrong, but it amazes me that even in programs that take place in 2016, it's assumed during casting that a character is white and straight unless otherwise specified, as though everything is a period drama from like the 1800s or something.

I loved how Viola Davis commented in her 2015 Emmys acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Drama, "You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there." That seems to be true for award shows across the board.

And that is my two cents.
Very well said- though I can understand their boycott- if its the only way to spark debate and get the point across (which seemingly its doing).

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 01-24-2016 at 04:05 AM..
Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Everybody did have a chance did win and people of color have actually won in the past. Whoopie Goldberg, Hallie Berry, Jennifer Hudson, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Octavia Spencer...
Whoopie only won for "ghost" ?????? because they failed to give it to her for The Color Purple which she deserved to win
Old 01-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Whoopie only won for "ghost" ?????? because they failed to give it to her for The Color Purple which she deserved to win
No. Meryl Streep deserved to win for Out of Africa. Geraldine Paige won because she was old and long overdue. Whoopie won because she gave really good performances before and it was decades since black actress won the award. Annette Benning deserved to win for the Grifters.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
No. Meryl Streep deserved to win for Out of Africa. Geraldine Paige won because she was old and long overdue. Whoopie won because she gave really good performances before and it was decades since black actress won the award. Annette Benning deserved to win for the Grifters.
to be honest it's all BS ( like making the super bowl a thing that people celebrate and buy new Tvs for) Plus I really don't care , never watched an award show , But I am fascinated by the way sheeple are lead by mass media hype .... That is entertaining

Eventually a millennial will be in charge and everyone including me will get an Oscar just for being in a movie

Last edited by olive; 01-24-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes.I enjoy those mentioned .Movie were better then.Whoopi Goldberg should of won for The Color Purple then.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
to be honest it's all BS ( like making the super bowl a thing that people celebrate and buy new Tvs for) Plus I really don't care , never watched an award show , But I am fascinated by the way sheeple are lead by mass media hype .... That is entertaining

Eventually a millennial will be in charge and everyone including me will get an Oscar just for being in a movie
I agree.Its a money grab game with the Superbowl.The averts chime in alot of money.
I'm not a football fan but I check in for the Halftime show anyway.

All the awards shows just too long and drag along and boring with hosts that waste time cracking jokes.They should just cut it down to 2 hours without the filler crap and just hand out the awards.Again its a money grab from the averts.

People should just boycott awards shows because they are too long and boring.Maybe they will wake up and cut the crap out of the show and give us a good show.