User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Nope. “Go Insane” was released on July 3, 1984. Plenty of time for a tour. Lindsey didn’t like touring back then.
He didn’t seem to relish it. But he probably hadn’t yet figured out how to present a solo show. He wasn’t interested in just getting up there with a rhythm section and bashing out a string of songs without a relationship, a narrative, providing a foundation (especially a bunch of songs from his Fleetwood Mac days). See the other thread about the DVD for insights into how he crafted a show. It was a more intricate, thoughtful affair when he finally toured in 1992. I recall his saying that, by 1992, he had built a body of solo work that was varied enough to take onstage.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-27-2020, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Hey, I was 13. Don't hold it against me.
I was 16 in 1982. Still in college and didn't work yet. I couldn't afford a trip to the US
Old 01-27-2020, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Hmm.. those dates seem incomplete.
possible, it's annoying that there are no any official LB sites with archive of albums or tours anywhere, but we are lucky we have fans like nodmod putting so much effort to preserve the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
He didn’t seem to relish it. But he probably hadn’t yet figured out how to present a solo show. He wasn’t interested in just getting up there with a rhythm section and bashing out a string of songs without a relationship, a narrative, providing a foundation (especially a bunch of songs from his Fleetwood Mac days). See the other thread about the DVD for insights into how he crafted a show. It was a more intricate, thoughtful affair when he finally toured in 1992. I recall his saying that, by 1992, he had built a body of solo work that was varied enough to take onstage.
that's what i recall him saying, too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-27-2020, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmm.. those dates seem incomplete.
I counted 46 dates at www.setlist.fm
Old 01-28-2020, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I call BS. By 1992, Stevie, Christine, and Mick all found ways to do solo tours. Lindsey simply didn’t want to. How hard would it have been to get the Zoo and a keyboard player and do a proper tour? (Ironically, Steve Ross was in Lindsey’s ‘92 band.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2020, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think everyone is partially right on this one. Lindsey definitely changed over the years. Remember his Cream magazine interview in 1982 when asked what the future held for Fleetwood Mac and his response was not going on the road touring at age 40. He was 30 something at the time.
I've watched his Behind the Music segment many times over the years and watched parts of it again today. Lindsey definitely preferred the studio over touring at a time in his life. Not sure what he thinks about it today. However touring today is a different beast than it used to be. Lindsey states (Behind the Music) that he loved and enjoyed his 1992 tour being on stage with a family that was not dysfunctional. But the narrator states the tour was "costly." That is polite language to mean by the time Lindsey paid his big band, hotels, travel, etc, he made no money. You can also relate Christine's 1984 solo tour. I saw her play for only about 200 people in a theater. She had to pay her opening band, her band, hotel and travel expenses. Tickets were $14.00. Just renting the theater would have cost more than what the ticket sales were. But she was a trooper and continued the tour for the benefit of her band and opening act. She probably lost money on the tour or broke even. Go Insane was not a successful album and Lindsey was probably afraid of a dismal or cancelled tour. Lindsey admits in BTM that he was in competition with Stevie with the solo stuff. Lindsey's last tour he had a meet and greet. He made thousands each night just on the meet and greets. If ticket sales were strong enough, he may not have done such a thing. A tour is a big event that takes lots of planning and coordination. To entertain such an event you have to consider if there is any profit in it.
Anyway, I am posting a link to Lindsey's BTM. Apparently it was removed from YouTube but I found it on another site. Its really funny to watch it today because we know things now we may not have know back then. Sometimes Lindsey speaks in hints or not so direct but now you know what he means. Even then he talks about how he had to take Stevie's voice from old recordings to finish Tango. Most interesting part is that he says he may not have ever gone solo if the band continued to make Tusk like albums. My LOL part of this BTM is when Stevie says "no one ever told us cocaine was bad for you. Not one person." I actually did laugh out loud at that and I've seen it many times.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7el5wz
Old 01-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think everyone is partially right on this one. Lindsey definitely changed over the years.

But the narrator states the tour was "costly." That is polite language to mean by the time Lindsey paid his big band, hotels, travel, etc, he made no money.
yup, there's no doubt that Lindsey and his priorities and preferences changed drastically over the years.

there were some interviews with him where it was pretty clear that taking everything into account he must have lost tons of money on OOTC tour and was definitely disappointed with how that time.worked out. clearly at the time he and his record co were hoping he'll be a commercial success as a solo act, and when that didn't happen it must have left a sour taste that needed a while to go away. remember, he wouldn't even play any OOTC songs on solo tours forever, however much people were asking him. took a number of solo tours after that, and a Solo Anthology, for him to finally fully embrace OOTC songs and perform them on tour.

remember when he first toured UTS, how happily surprised he was how much he liked it and how well it was going? he kept adding legs, that tour went on over several years. so i think after disappointment of OOTC tour (which was from all and every account fantastic one tto see, i wish i did!), he set completely low expectations for UTS tour and ended up being really really happy with the reception, how it went, and how much fun he had being on the road and playing his new material. GOS tour lasted barely over a month though, because there was FM GH tour already booked for 2009, so GOS tour had to be squeezed in.

One Man Show in 2012 was the first solo tour where Lindsey actually made money. it started as just him, guitar tech and a sound guy, with rented cars + u-haul for equipment. although as the tour went on and was profitable, it expanded and they added tour managers, drivers, and merch people - and even some cheap m&gs for random dates. 2018 tour was his first solo tour since then (so much wasted time with FM GHs tours! at least we got 2017 BuckVie), and considering BuckVie tour made money, and there they traveled in FM style, i have no doubt that 2018 solo tour where they traveled in buses / more down to earth way was profitable (remember all those on-stage jokes about band members doing their own laundry?), plus he did m&gs too, as you noted.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-28-2020, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I call BS. By 1992, Stevie, Christine, and Mick all found ways to do solo tours. Lindsey simply didn’t want to. How hard would it have been to get the Zoo and a keyboard player and do a proper tour? (Ironically, Steve Ross was in Lindsey’s ‘92 band.)
Mr. Sociologist, of course it was “possible.” Not the issue that was relevant to Lindsey at that time. He wanted to wait until he had amassed a body of work from which he could craft a production that weaved the story he wanted to tell in a way he wanted to tell it. It took him time and thought to create such a production. That’s his perspective, not yours or mine.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
possible, it's annoying that there are no any official LB sites with archive of albums or tours anywhere, but we are lucky we have fans like nodmod putting so much effort to preserve the info.

that's what i recall him saying, too.
http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/still..._old/index.htm
http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/stillgoinginsane/
Old 01-31-2020, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OOTC tour dates can be found on the best FM and LB info and archive site http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/still...adle-tour.html - 35 dates from Dec 1992 through July 1993. June and July 1993 was openings for Tina.
Quote:
possible, it's annoying that there are no any official LB sites with archive of albums or tours anywhere, but we are lucky we have fans like nodmod putting so much effort to preserve the info..
yup, that's nodmod's site i cited above. it's a fan site, and the only site where this info can be found. there are no official sites. if nodmod was not maintaining it, we'd have nothing.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mr. Sociologist, of course it was “possible.” Not the issue that was relevant to Lindsey at that time. He wanted to wait until he had amassed a body of work from which he could craft a production that weaved the story he wanted to tell in a way he wanted to tell it. It took him time and thought to create such a production. That’s his perspective, not yours or mine.
Yep. And his “perspective” made him largely irrelevant. Fleetwood Mac still plays to packed houses without him. Stevie found a way to have a viable identity outside of the band. Lindsey didn’t.

Think about it: Lindsey wrote one of the most revered Fleetwood Mac songs ever (GYOW), which RS ranked highest of all Fleetwood Mac songs, and produced one of the most critically acclaimed albums ever (Tusk), but because he kept trying to find lightening in a bottle, he let his career pass him by.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep. And his “perspective” made him largely irrelevant. Fleetwood Mac still plays to packed houses without him. Stevie found a way to have a viable identity outside of the band. Lindsey didn’t.
Fleetwood Mac would still play packed arenas without Stevie, too. and they played packed arenas without Christine. Fleetwood Mac is a brand.

yes, Stevie has created a persona that she's been successfully marketing.

Lindsey and Christine are artists and musicians, primarily.

Quote:
Think about it: Lindsey wrote one of the most revered Fleetwood Mac songs ever (GYOW), which RS ranked highest of all Fleetwood Mac songs, and produced one of the most critically acclaimed albums ever (Tusk), but because he kept trying to find lightening in a bottle, he let his career pass him by.
yes, Lindsey Buckingham wrote the biggest most respected Fleetwood Mac song, Go Your Own Way.

but you are arguing whether someone is a great artist vs whether someone is great at selling themselves. if someone is a great artist, doesn't mean they are great at marketing (or they assembled a good enough team to do it).

Old 02-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hadn't seen this clip before. Thought I'd share. In relation to OOTC Tour.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yes he was. I saw them at Peabody's Down Under in the Cleveland flats. It was one hell of a show. And Steve Ross was indeed there.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes he was. I saw them at Peabody's Down Under in the Cleveland flats. It was one hell of a show. And Steve Ross was indeed there.
so jealous!

here's his OOTC touring band, thanks to nodmod again http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/still...adle-tour.html:

The Band

Neale Heywood - Guitar
Janet Robin - Guitar
Scott Breadman - Percussion
Liza Carbe - Guitar
Dan Garfield - Keyboards
Steve Ross - Guitar
Michael Tempo - Percussion
John Wackerman - Drums
Kevin Wyatt - Bass Guitar *

Fredrico Pol - Bass Guitar *

* - Kevin Wyatt was replaced by Fredrico Pol on the second leg of the tour