User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345

It's wierd though, Lindsey seems more than enthusiastic about continuing. They'd totally suck if ALL the chicks were gone. Then it would be a Buckingham solo project with Mick and John as the riddim' section. If Christine took her place though it would still be all good.

If it's true it kind of sucks, even without Christine I wish I had the chance to say I'd seen them at least one time.
As long as Lindsey is part of the band, Stevie will be also. I think she feels like she owes it to him to "stick it out".

Lindsey seems gung ho on doing another album and tour in some interviews I've read. He seems rejuvinated. I think Stevie is absolutely worn out. She did TISL, then a tour for that, then a small break before hitting the studio again for SYW, now a huge tour. I'm sure we won't hear from her after the tour until the next Mac album comes out. I know some people think she'll go straight into another solo album, but I doubt it.

We lean another ladder against the wrong wall

And climb high to the highest rung

To shake fists at the sky..."

- Nickel Creek "Reasons Why"

Who is Nickel Creek?

Time magazine named them one of the Top Innovators of Music, and their latest CD, "This Side", won a Grammy for best contemporary folk album!

That's who!
Old 09-04-2003, 10:00 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by ericktul
As long as Lindsey is part of the band, Stevie will be also. I think she feels like she owes it to him to "stick it out".

Lindsey seems gung ho on doing another album and tour in some interviews I've read. He seems rejuvinated. I think Stevie is absolutely worn out. She did TISL, then a tour for that, then a small break before hitting the studio again for SYW, now a huge tour. I'm sure we won't hear from her after the tour until the next Mac album comes out. I know some people think she'll go straight into another solo album, but I doubt it.
well, after 20 plus years of being a dedicated fan i can tell that stevie is running out of steam...it's not blatant but i am preparing myself for her retirement....i don't think we're going to see anything new from her for several years....if FM tours through part of next year they're going to take a break....if stevie works on a solo album it probably wouldn't start recording sessions till 2005 and then who knows how long that can take...with her track record she'll be in the studio at least a year if not longer....probably won't see anything from her or them till 2006.
that's my prediction.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Ledgie

Default Re: I'm not worried.

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
IMO as long is Lindsey Buckingham is with the Mac & is supportive of her and her songwriting, Stevie will NEVER leave this band (barring, heaven forbid, any health issues). She has dreamed of this situation for many years & she's not about to throw it away.
Not to mention the critics are praising her and fans are buying tickets and the album.
And she said she would never be the one to "break the band up."

- Jake
I have always felt that this was the case with Stevie, but I do feel this time around she seems to be changing her position a bit...she has made an awful lot of comments in the vain of "glad we did this one more time..." Lindsey on the other hand, seems ready to keep everything going until death do them part
I hope you're right though Jake...

Erin
Old 09-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How many times have we heard a rock star say "this is it, I'm not touring anymore"...and a year or so later, they're on tour?

Maybe they're not going to tour on this grand of scale ever again, so we'll probably all have to travel to either Las Vegas or Atlantic City to see them on their 3 week engagement at the Hilton every other year or so.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And FYI, that "Goodbye Baby" isnt about saying goodbye to fans... that'd be like saying "Say Goodbye" was the same topic thread. Goodbye Baby is a 180 from Say Goodbye which is a 180 from a song about saying bye-bye to touring, etc.

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 09-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ozzy did a FAREWELL TOUR one year, and then the next year came back and did a tour called RETIREMENT SUCKS TOUR..lol so thats about how much you should put into stuff like that...

plus GOODBYE BABY was written in the 70s actually so , of course that song has nothing to do with any of this lol

Chris
Old 09-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What do you guys mean by, "Stevie is runniong out of steam" I think her albums have been amazing and her performance a few months ago, from what i saw was excellent!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake

In fact, I would I have liked it if FM got their butts back to the studio and started working on another album instead of going to all these foreign countries. I'm greedy, I know!
You ceratinly are!!!! Do you realise we had to wait for 13 years to see them again, and it took us 23 years to see them wih Lindsey again? And some of the fans over here have never seen them at all because their last show was in 1990. So I think the foreign fans (and I'm one of them) have been waiting long enough and we have been very patient and loyal, if I might add.
While you guys had Stevie's solo tours and The Dance tour, we had nothing. Just one show of Stevie back in 1989. Do you realise how much it hurts for a long time fan (28 years now) to read all the reviews and you can't go because you don't have any money??? And to see something of a show you have buy a boot video which is crap. That sucks big time.
Anyway, 2 months to go and I'll see them in Germany!!!!!!!!
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 09-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm,

I don't see another FM tour coming? Does anyone agree with me?

They will be done this tour by Christmas maybe? Then its a year break probably. Maybe Lindsey will try to push out a solo album.

Maybe in 2005 we will get something from Stevie, maybe 2006. By then, after their solo tours, I think a world tour would be out of the question. Maybe even another album. This is really emotional Im sure and they aren't spring chickens.

Thats why I really had to see them this tour, because this really could be our last chance. FM will not be churning out albums and touring...this is probably it.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Drama, drama! Do you remember back in 1990 when both Christine and Stevie announced that they would no longer be performing with Fleetwood Mac? They made a point of letting everybody know that this would be the last opportunity to see them in this context. And you see how long that lasted! Flash forward to 2003... I have heard nothing indicating that this was the farewell tour. And knowing Mick, and his love affair with the dolalr, he would be milking it to the hilt if this was truly the final tour.

As far as getting old on the road is concerned, Stevie is probably the most vulnerable. But the comparisons to others in her age bracket such as Cher and Tina Turner are not fair. They retired because their whole schtick was centered around dancing, choreography and slinky, revealing costumes. Yes, seeing Cher in a fishnet jumpsuit today is a bit frightening! But Stevie has been more about being standing elegantly behind the mic stand and singing the songs. It's her voice and her presence that carry the show, not a lot of gimmicks. Hence, I think she is the type of performer who could perform literally until she drops dead, ala Rosemary Clooney, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, etc. And Deborah Harry, who has a few years on Stevie, will probably keel over in her fishnet stockings and heels behind a mic stand.

Additionally, I don't see how grueling touring can be when you are catered to hand and foot by an army of personal assistants, eat in the finest restaurants, stay in the finest hotels, fly in a private jet, ride in limousines, etc. And if you look at their tour schedule, they are taking a nice, leisurely pace with this tour with typically 2-to-5-day breaks in between shows. My life should be so grueling!!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw an interview with Janet Jackson last year and she said that tour might be her last as well. Even with the private planes and hundreds in staff, she said the toll that traveling and sleeping in a different bed and being in a different city almost daily wears on you terribly. I think Cher and Tina made so much money on the last few tours that they can walk away and not care. I think Stevie is much more connected to her music and it's so much a part of her that I can't see her giving it up, but she's not in the same shape physically as Cher and Tina so it might be a different story for her about how much she'll be able to do if this comes around again in a few years.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Well, naturally their not going to say "oh we'll tour again" because they (Mick?) know(s) they'll lose a lot of money that way because people will say "oh they're gonna be back, I'll go next time they come around".

Like someone said earlier, this is the new marketing trick, they say "it's the last tour" so people will go "oh no, I'd better rush out and get tickets for this tour then" and then a year or two later they "come out of retirement" for another tour. I think it's just as simple as that.

OK, it could be seen as "lying to their fans" but they would just hide behind the story of "well things are different now, I was bored not doing anything/I missed touring/the fans (etc.)". Pass the barf bags.

I also agree with what someone said above in that though they may get occassional jet lag, they are not doing anything very taxing as everyone else that works for them does everything for them that they can, all they have to do is go out on stage for the 2 hours and "work" (and OK, they do the dog and pony show with interviews while "waiting around" on the road in hotels or whatever the usual schpeel is. Even then, look at John McVie, he rarely does interviews so even that is not a "required part of the job", I'm sure the managers would prefer he (and others that don't so intrviews) did them but they obviously have a "plan B" they go to if the "star" doesn't want to do them. Otherwise, there wouldd be a lot less artists out there than they're are (that are "popular" (i.e. selling)).

I will give credit where credit is due though as at least the Eagles are half admitting it with their "Farewell tour part 1". Gee, I wonder if that leaves a door open for a "Farewell part 2" later on?

JMHO though.

John
Old 09-05-2003, 08:03 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by HejiraNYC
Drama, drama! Do you remember back in 1990 when both Christine and Stevie announced that they would no longer be performing with Fleetwood Mac? They made a point of letting everybody know that this would be the last opportunity to see them in this context. And you see how long that lasted! Flash forward to 2003... I have heard nothing indicating that this was the farewell tour. And knowing Mick, and his love affair with the dolalr, he would be milking it to the hilt if this was truly the final tour.
Yeah, but we had to wait 7 years....that's nothing to sneeze at....also, that was 13 years ago....hence, everyone was 13 years younger...i don't think they would be foolish to announce a farewell tour because that's just FM....i don't think they've ever announced a "farewell" tour....they may have announced that certain people (ie Stevie/Christine) would no longer tour but never announced a final tour. i don't think they will either. Mick wants to keep that thing going as long as he can and with as many different combination of members as it takes. i can't even say for sure that if Stevie retired that would mean the end of FM...who knows though? time will tell.

Quote:
As far as getting old on the road is concerned, Stevie is probably the most vulnerable. But the comparisons to others in her age bracket such as Cher and Tina Turner are not fair. They retired because their whole schtick was centered around dancing, choreography and slinky, revealing costumes. Yes, seeing Cher in a fishnet jumpsuit today is a bit frightening! But Stevie has been more about being standing elegantly behind the mic stand and singing the songs. It's her voice and her presence that carry the show, not a lot of gimmicks. Hence, I think she is the type of performer who could perform literally until she drops dead, ala Rosemary Clooney, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, etc. And Deborah Harry, who has a few years on Stevie, will probably keel over in her fishnet stockings and heels behind a mic stand.
I agree that Cher and Tina's shows were a lot more physically demanding but it's all relative. Just because Stevie's shows weren't all choreographed and she never ran around the stage doing somersaults doesn't mean that she's not going to be tired of it....so, yes, comparing her to them isn't fair. She could continue performing for years and years but maybe just not on the scale that's been done before. maybe much smaller venues?

Quote:
Additionally, I don't see how grueling touring can be when you are catered to hand and foot by an army of personal assistants, eat in the finest restaurants, stay in the finest hotels, fly in a private jet, ride in limousines, etc. And if you look at their tour schedule, they are taking a nice, leisurely pace with this tour with typically 2-to-5-day breaks in between shows. My life should be so grueling!!
That's easy for you/us to say! I'm not in their shoes so i can't judge what they're going through. It may seem like a life of luxury on the road but there may be a lot more going on that is demanding....and not necessarily physical....they've got to have the mental focus and energy to be able to perform every other night....that in itself is a huge responsibility. and how about the travelling itself? i take a trip for 3 hours on a plane and i'm jet lagged for a good day or so....go to the airport, check your baggage, sit in a slightly claustrophobic space for a few hours, then fly to where you have to go, get off the plane, pick up your bags and then TRY to get out of the airport with all the traffic....THAT in itself is grueling enough!
Old 09-05-2003, 08:10 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by joe

That's easy for you/us to say! I'm not in their shoes so i can't judge what they're going through. It may seem like a life of luxury on the road but there may be a lot more going on that is demanding....and not necessarily physical....they've got to have the mental focus and energy to be able to perform every other night....that in itself is a huge responsibility.
Not to mention the fact that they're performing the same songs night after night after night, and doing the same Stevie/Lindsey schtick night after night. It has to get pretty old.

We lean another ladder against the wrong wall

And climb high to the highest rung

To shake fists at the sky..."

- Nickel Creek "Reasons Why"

Who is Nickel Creek?

Time magazine named them one of the Top Innovators of Music, and their latest CD, "This Side", won a Grammy for best contemporary folk album!

That's who!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I understand what you're saying, of course it can be tiring, I could only imagine! Although they have a little advantage in the airport department than we all do, lol...They have that big nice private jet, they dont have to go to the stupid baggage terminal and all that...like u said, to me thats the worst part of it all

Chris