Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default AG is now officially over!!

Well, AudioGalaxy is now officially defunct, I just wanted to thank all the Ledgies who were part of our download group, thanks for sharing...SNICKS8

RIAA, NMPA Reach Settlement With Audiogalaxy.com

Recording Industry Association of America, National Music Publishers’ Association Reach Settlement with Audiogalaxy.com

New York, NY, June 17, 2002 – The recording industry, music publishers and songwriters announced today that they have reached an out-of-court settlement with Audiogalaxy.com, the Napster-like clone, which requires Audiogalaxy to stop the infringement of copyrighted works on their peer-to-peer network.

The agreement follows a lawsuit filed in late May accusing Audiogalaxy of facilitating and encouraging widespread copyright infringement – a last resort step after repeated efforts to warn the firm of their liability were ignored or resulted in ineffective attempts to fix the problem. The suit was brought by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), on behalf of its member labels, and the National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA), on behalf of the music publisher principals of its licensing affiliate, The Harry Fox Agency, Inc.

The settlement reached would allow Audiogalaxy to operate a "filter-in" system, which requires that for any music available, the songwriter, music publisher, and/or recording company must first consent to the use and sharing of the work. The other key provision of the agreement is for Audiogalaxy to pay the music publishers and recording industry a substantial sum based on Audiogalaxy's assets and interest in resolving this case quickly.

"We are pleased to settle this case quickly. This is a victory for everyone who cares about protecting the value of music," said Hilary Rosen, Chairman and CEO of the RIAA. "This should serve as a wake-up call to the other networks that facilitate unauthorized copying. The responsibility for implementing systems that allow for the authorized use of copyrighted works rests squarely on the shoulders of the peer-to-peer network."

"The message is clear – there is no place on the Internet for services that exploit creators' work without fair compensation," added Edward P. Murphy, President and CEO, NMPA. "Such services hurt creators and hurt the legitimate Internet businesses that wish to comply with the law and compensate the creators. The swift resolution of this matter is thus a double victory that creators and legitimate Internet businesses should join in hailing." (more)

Audiogalaxy.com, based in Austin, Texas, was one of the more heavily trafficked file-sharing websites.

The Recording Industry Association of America is the trade group that represents the U.S. recording industry. Its mission is to foster a business and legal climate that supports and promotes our members' creative and financial vitality. Its members are the record companies that comprise the most vibrant national music industry in the world. RIAA® members create, manufacture and/or distribute approximately 90% of all legitimate sound recordings produced and sold in the United States.

In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect intellectual property rights worldwide and the First Amendment rights of artists; conduct consumer industry and technical research; and monitor and review - - state and federal laws, regulations and policies. The RIAA® also certifies Gold®, Platinum®, Multi-Platinum™, and Diamond sales awards, Los Premios De Oro y Platino™, an award celebrating Latin music sales.

The National Music Publishers’ Association, Inc., founded in 1917, works to protect and advance the interests of the music publishing industry. With over 900 members, the NMPA represents the most important and influential music publishing firms throughout the United States.

The Harry Fox Agency, Inc. provides an information source, clearing house and monitoring service for licensing musical copyrights, and acts as licensing agent for more than 27,000 music publisher principals, who in turn represent the interests of more than 160,000 songwriters. Besides the core business functions of licensing, collections and distribution of royalties, HFA conducts periodic record company and other user audits on behalf of its principals. HFA is the licensing affiliate of the National Music Publishers’ Association.

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 06-18-2002, 01:15 PM
Ledgie

damn!! I love audiogalaxy it's my source for b sides!! grr..lol

Becka

**Flickering I roam for the people in darkness**

**I hear there's trouble in shangri-la**
www.rainstormphotography.co.uk
Old 06-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Hmmm

This sucks... Especially when you're not downloading things that you can actually buy in your record stores - but things that you are usually not able to find anywhere in the end of the world...

Song of the moment - Just Crazy Love
Old 06-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well it's just like Napster. They cut off one arm and two more will sprout. Not a good move on the RIAA's part, if they think they're going to kill off allthe offshoots, they're insane.
-Brian
Old 06-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down NO!

This bites.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I knew they were going to do that to Audiogalaxy. Does anyone know if Kazaa has been affected, that is the one I use.....

~Alex

Old 06-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Start using WinMX! The only reason why Napster and AudioGalaxy have been shut down is because they are based in the US. I want my rare mp3s!

Matt
Old 06-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

WinMX eh? Can you choose quality? Everything at Kazaa peaks out at 128 no matter what. Please do tell me what you think of it.
-Brian
P.S. I'm happy to announce that at the end of its life, the AG group - FM Ledgies - topped off at 72 members. Not bad!
Old 06-22-2002, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Will our downloaded MP3's still work? I'm MP3 illiterate!

Maria
Old 06-22-2002, 03:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hi,

I used WinMX for a while but I'd rather use Kazaalite now. A court in Amsterdam ruled that it isn't illegal so it should stay around for a while. My brother gave ne the tip of Kazaalite, he is very satisfied with it. Here the adress www.kazaalite.nl.

Bye,LOL,
Dimphy
Old 06-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

My 2 cents - I really like the new version of WinMX. I think it's v3.2. If there are more than one file that are exactly the same, then you can click on all of them to speed up the download time. Plus, if you have a lot of time, you can download movies too... I haven't tried this though.