User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, by special request, I'm here.

"Cover band"?? So what?

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were pretty much a cover band....look how many tunes they played in concert from artists like the Yardbirds, the Kinks, the Animals, Them, Cbuck Berry, the Rolling Stones, Thunderclap Newman, John Lee Hooker, Booker T & The MG's, the Traveling Wilburys...and, Fleetwood Mac (among dozens & dozens of others)...and all those bands did covers as well.

Stevie's covered at least TWO Tom Petty tunes (not counting "Stop Draggin'....") in concert and on album. So, with Mike Campbell in the band now, of COURSE they're going to play a Tom Petty tune or two...my guess is the obvious ones, "I Need To Know" & "Free Fallin'"

EVERY band covers other people...it's a NORMAL thing. Especially, bands who have many personnel changes, the next in line play songs by previous personnel.

And, again, Fleetwood Mac has had 18 members (11 guitarists) and your world is ending because ONE of them isn't in the band anymore?

JEZZZZUSSSSS people pull your heads out, take a valium, smoke a joint, whatever your vice is & get it together.

There's new blood in Fleetwood Mac...not like it hasn't happened before. When Lindsey & Stevie joined they were incarnation #10, TEN!! Personnel changes are a Fleetwood Mac fact of life! The aboration is that they've gone as long as they have without one.

Buckingham is a musician, he was planning a solo tour & album and guess what? He'll keep making music. Just not with Fleetwood Mac. NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. In fact, he'll probably be MORE prolific now that he doesn't have to compromise with the rest of the band.

As SteveMacD pointed out...even Lindsey & Stevie had to "pay their dues" by doing songs by previous Fleetwood Mac members...I don't recall people slashing their wrists or going on verbal tirades because of it. Grow TF UP!!!

Fleetwood Mac is dead....LONG LIVE FLEETWOOD MAC!!!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Registered

Wow. I didn't know so many detested the Rumours line up, or at least regarded the Lindsey years as somehow lesser than the Time and BTM years. Something must be wrong with my ears.

And I don't particularly like to be told what to do by total strangers.

Enjoy your cover band.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Registered

And anyone who thinks that Fleetwood Mac has any life left to it "going forward" a la Mick seems to be oblivious to the limits of human existence. I do not envy them such ignorance.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I will, thank you. Enjoy your therapy sessions.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All the other FM 'incarnations' lasted an average of 3 years and did not generate 1/16th of the icon status and fame as the Rumours lineup. That's the lineup that existed for roughly 40 years, sold millions upon millions of albums, made the music that people grew up with, went on world tour after world tour, achieved incomparable levels of fame and success and won the hearts of the public.
I don't mean to discredit the other lineups and their members, but people really need to stop acting as if the name 'Fleetwood Mac' is not essentially defined by the Rumours lineup to just about everyone in the world except for those snobby "Peter Green only" people.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

chiliD is Mac-fan royalty.

I respect, and learn from, his every post.

If I didn't already dislike Mike Campbell and Neil Finn, I would be more open-minded.

Unlike most people, I really enjoy BTM and Time.

I'm curious if chiliD would prefer Jeremy, Peter, Rick, Billy being asked to return to these new members, as I would, but chili's point is: the show goes on with the mac; let's hope they make good music.

But then I hear Don't Dream It's Over in my head and throw up in my mouth.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Buckingham is a musician, he was planning a solo tour & album and guess what? He'll keep making music. Just not with Fleetwood Mac.
And, it’s not like that was in the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Wow. I didn't know so many detested the Rumours line up, or at least regarded the Lindsey years as somehow lesser than the Time and BTM years. Something must be wrong with my ears.
I don’t think anyone said they detested the Rumours band. We can appreciate it all. However, Fleetwood Mac was a great band prior to 1975 and had a few great moments after 1987. Honestly, though, “Tusk” was the last great album they made. The various incarnations keep it interesting, as the Fleetwood Mac channel is proving.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I will, thank you. Enjoy your therapy sessions.
Chili!!! let's do a new track listing for Tusk. What's your opening tune again??
Old 05-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know it's easier for everyone to put things in black or white categories, like everyone upset by this change is just someone resistant to change, or unaware of the band's history, etc etc etc. Or, you hate Lindsey, you hate Stevie, blah blah.

That's not the case for me or most other people. It's NOT that the band changed, it's that one of the members was booted out against their stated wish. It's that the publicly given rationale by the band is so apparently bogus-- because if indeed those were the requirements for kicking people out (you have to be willing to do what the majority of the rest of the band wants to do when they want to do it) they would have had a lot more changes of the 5. First off, when has this band ever been on the same page at the same time about stuff? Mick and Lindsey have even sort of joked about that in interviews of the last decade or so, comparing how different they are to bands like the Eagles who all agree on what they're doing and why. It's also partly that various other members have clearly met those requirements (i.e. Stevie not wanting to record, not wanting to tour, when all 3, and then all 4 of the other members clearly wanted to over the last decade or more) and yet were NOT kicked out.

It's also that this formulation of the band is much nearer to the finale of their time on big tours than Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch etc ever were when they left. They were all in their 20s or 30s. This bunch is in their 70s. Some have already battled serious illnesses. Several of the current 5 referred to this coming tour as their 'farewell tour' of the Rumours lineup, and now rather than going out with glory they are going out with this messed up cloud over their heads. If the five had bowed out gracefully and then various members decided to reconfigure with new people, I think everyone would be excited about that. It's a bit like putting lipstick on a pig right now and hoping no one notices.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 05-10-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Ok, by special request, I'm here.

"Cover band"?? So what?

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were pretty much a cover band....look how many tunes they played in concert from artists like the Yardbirds, the Kinks, the Animals, Them, Cbuck Berry, the Rolling Stones, Thunderclap Newman, John Lee Hooker, Booker T & The MG's, the Traveling Wilburys...and, Fleetwood Mac (among dozens & dozens of others)...and all those bands did covers as well.

Stevie's covered at least TWO Tom Petty tunes (not counting "Stop Draggin'....") in concert and on album. So, with Mike Campbell in the band now, of COURSE they're going to play a Tom Petty tune or two...my guess is the obvious ones, "I Need To Know" & "Free Fallin'"

EVERY band covers other people...it's a NORMAL thing. Especially, bands who have many personnel changes, the next in line play songs by previous personnel.

And, again, Fleetwood Mac has had 18 members (11 guitarists) and your world is ending because ONE of them isn't in the band anymore?

JEZZZZUSSSSS people pull your heads out, take a valium, smoke a joint, whatever your vice is & get it together.

There's new blood in Fleetwood Mac...not like it hasn't happened before. When Lindsey & Stevie joined they were incarnation #10, TEN!! Personnel changes are a Fleetwood Mac fact of life! The aboration is that they've gone as long as they have without one.

Buckingham is a musician, he was planning a solo tour & album and guess what? He'll keep making music. Just not with Fleetwood Mac. NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. In fact, he'll probably be MORE prolific now that he doesn't have to compromise with the rest of the band.

As SteveMacD pointed out...even Lindsey & Stevie had to "pay their dues" by doing songs by previous Fleetwood Mac members...I don't recall people slashing their wrists or going on verbal tirades because of it. Grow TF UP!!!

Fleetwood Mac is dead....LONG LIVE FLEETWOOD MAC!!!
um... good to see you posting again?

I recognize that this band has the right to call itself Fleetwood Mac.

For some, Fleetwood Mac is their favorite band no matter who is in it. They see it as an entity to which they are loyal, like a country or a church.

I, however, do not consider all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac to be equal. I think about it in terms of the music. If the band is not making music that I enjoy, it is no longer my favorite band.

Without Lindsey, the Fleetwood Mac that I love is over. As Mick himself stated, this is a "new band" now, and I will never hear my favorite incarnation play together again. That is something I am sad about, and I don't think that's terribly irrational or ridiculous.

The fact that it all went down in such an ignominious fashion is the other half of this, which makes the event not only sorrowful but also disgraceful.... the wrong that was done to Lindsey. It's not the end of the world, but it sure ticks me off.

Last edited by sodascouts; 05-10-2018 at 04:52 PM..
Old 05-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We'll have to wait and see whether this new lineup remains a pickup band (playing old sets) or stirs itself creatively and records its own music, like most of the post-Peter lineups.

I bet that last year's Buckingham McVie is the last you'll all be hearing new from Fleetwood Mac.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
We'll have to wait and see whether this new lineup remains a pickup band (playing old sets) or stirs itself creatively and records its own music, like most of the post-Peter lineups.

I bet that last year's Buckingham McVie is the last you'll all be hearing new from Fleetwood Mac.
Unless Lindsey and Christine would do a BuckVie II, I'd practically bet my life that there will never be another FM record.

Buck Vie is my favorite album since Mirage, so at least they went out on a high note.

And goat free!
Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
um... good to see you posting again?

I recognize that this band has the right to call itself Fleetwood Mac.

For some, Fleetwood Mac is their favorite band no matter who is in it. They see it as an entity to which they are loyal, like a country or a church.

I, however, do not consider all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac to be equal. I think about it in terms of the music. If the band is not making music that I enjoy, it is no longer my favorite band.

Without Lindsey, the Fleetwood Mac that I love is over. As Mick himself stated, this is a "new band" now, and I will never hear my favorite incarnation play together again. That is something I am sad about, and I don't think that's terribly irrational or ridiculous.

The fact that it all went down in such an ignominious fashion is the other half of this, which makes the event not only sorrowful but also disgraceful.... the wrong that was done to Lindsey. It's not the end of the world, but it sure ticks me off.
This is exactly how I feel, thank you for summing it up so perfectly. I am tired of people telling me to get over it. I will when I am ready. Until then, I am angry, sad, horrified, and terribly disappointed.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Unless Lindsey and Christine would do a BuckVie II, I'd practically bet my life that there will never be another FM record.

Buck Vie is my favorite album since Mirage, so at least they went out on a high note.

And goat free!
I'm a goathead - I wish Stevie was on that album so it would have been more widely heard. I like it but it has already fallen out of my regular rotation.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
I'm a goathead - I wish Stevie was on that album so it would have been more widely heard. I like it but it has already fallen out of my regular rotation.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"