Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
So today I got a copy of "Chilly Winds." It has "Revenge of the Budgie" on it and another album of Johns (not sure which). So does anyone know which songs from Revenge of the Budgie Lindsey is on??

The reason I ask is I was listening to the song "Hiding in the Shadows" and it has the same exact guitar part as "That's How We Do It in L.A.!" I wonder if Lindsey played on that song and just used the same part? Or if John played it and used Lindsey's guitar part?? Or maybe John was the one who came up with that part originally and Lindsey used it??

Anyway I was really proud of myself since I'm not that musically oriented when it comes to recognizing the same chords (riffs, melodies etc - don't really even know what to call them ) So does anyone know anything about this?
I believe Lindsey appears on "Buddy Won't You Roll," "Hiding in the Shadows," "Living on Easy," and "Same Old Heart."

Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I believe Lindsey appears on "Buddy Won't You Roll," "Hiding in the Shadows," "Living on Easy," and "Same Old Heart."

Hmm I've been listening to the songs all day on headphones and I definitely hear Lindsey on "Hiding in the Shadows." That song is great BTW! I guess he just decided to use the same guitar part on that song as he did for THWDII L.A. But I don't hear him on the others. I will have to listen more closely I guess. Thanks for the info!

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 04-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You got it. He's on slide guitar on "Living on Easy". He's credited with "various guitars" on "Same Old Heart". He did all guitars and percussion on "Hiding in the Shadows". And he's on vocals for "Buddy Won't You Roll".

[He also wrote a nice dedication to John and Nick Reynolds in the liner notes. Marty's got it typed out on the Budgie discography page at the bottom: http://fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/albums/budgie.htm]

Quote:
I wonder if Lindsey played on that song and just used the same part? Or if John played it and used Lindsey's guitar part?? Or maybe John was the one who came up with that part originally and Lindsey used it??
I can't remember the article now. There was some interview with John or an associates of John that I read where they'd been working on a few songs together and hatched the guitar part you mentioned. Each built his own song around it.

Last edited by Les; 04-19-2004 at 08:52 PM..
Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Marty's got it typed out on the Budgie discography page at the bottom:

Oops, that link didn't work. Here's the dedication:

The Kingston Trio, with its unique blend of wit, timing and chemistry, was almost solely responsible for the vast popularity of Folk music in the late 50s and 60s. The group provided its audience with a sound and image that was not only original but was also a reaffirmation of the freshness and spontaneity that rock and roll was beginning to lack. For me, although it may have been Elvis or Buddy Holly who initially sparked my musical imagination, it was the Kingston Trio that brought a far more sustaining influence to my guitar style and sense of arrangement and harmony. Nick Reynolds and John Stewart, both with their vocal blend and their personal rapport, were greatly responsible for the sound and spirit of the two.

When I learned of their plans to reunite for this album and was asked to participate, I was naturally pleased. I was also intrigued because although John and Nick's blend has remained, their musical collaboration has been dormant for 16 years. Yet once the sessions had begun, any initial fears gave way to confidence and a sense of catharsis for all. Every day I was reminded of the importance that personal chemistry plays in the making of good music, and when we were done, I came away feeling privileged to be involved, happy to have been able to give back a small part of that which Nick and John had given me before.

As for the songs, they speak for themselves. They are connected to both new and old. The approach being contemporary, but the vocal blend being familiar. I know you'll enjoy the listening as much as we did the making.

- Lindsey Buckingham
Old 04-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
You got it. He's on slide guitar on "Living on Easy". He's credited with "various guitars" on "Same Old Heart". He did all guitars and percussion on "Hiding in the Shadows". And he's on vocals for "Buddy Won't You Roll".
Thanks for the info Les! However, I'm 100% certain he is also on vocals for "Hiding in the Shadows." I can't hear him on "Buddy Won't You Roll" but it could just be that John and Nick are drowning him out.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the info Les! However, I'm 100% certain he is also on vocals for "Hiding in the Shadows." I can't hear him on "Buddy Won't You Roll" but it could just be that John and Nick are drowning him out.
I always thought I could hear his voice on Shadows too. Either there's someone else's voice on there that sounds a lot like him, or they just mistakenly left his name off the vocal credits (like with Walter Egan's "Not Shy").
Old 04-20-2004, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
I always thought I could hear his voice on Shadows too. Either there's someone else's voice on there that sounds a lot like him, or they just mistakenly left his name off the vocal credits (like with Walter Egan's "Not Shy").
I could SWEAR he's on "Rockin' as the Night Rolls On" as well, but in the Penguin Q&A Stewart says he's not.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Sandy Stewart!!!

Oh, right Johnny! Buffy Stewart is John's
lovely wife!!! We do get confused!Too bad
they are not related to Rod Stewart!!! Sky
Old 04-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could SWEAR he's on "Rockin' as the Night Rolls On" as well, but in the Penguin Q&A Stewart says he's not.

I agree with you Nancy that it sounds so much like Lindsey on this song!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009