User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But let's face it, it's nice to find your favorite song or artists there.
Yeah, that's why, of 500 songs chosen, I was wishing there'd be a Christine song in there. It would be validation for us fans who miss her tremendously.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Ok ok, I just looked at #499 and #500 and got right out of there. New Kids on the Block, seriously? Yet no Little Lies or Hold Me which are by definition the perfect pop songs. The first time I heard these songs I knew they are a huge hit single (sorry Steve).
Old 10-23-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Ok ok, I just looked at #499 and #500 and got right out of there. New Kids on the Block, seriously? Yet no Little Lies or Hold Me which are by definition the perfect pop songs. The first time I heard these songs I knew they are a huge hit single (sorry Steve).
haha, you crack me up. I'd have forgotten all about LIttle Lies' theory if not for you.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh yes, seriously NKOTB in the list makes completely sense to me. Not because You Got It reached N.3 and Little Lies or Hold Me just reached N.4, but because the New Kids were a POP phenomenom in the late 80s, while Fleetwood Mac was no longer.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Ah. One of her songs should have, certainly. You don't get songs like YMLF and SYLM everyday. Everywhere is almost as ubiquitous as Dreams. As is Little Lies. So, there would have been a lot to choose from.
'Dreams' is a Fleetwood Mac song, created by the five 'Fireflies' as are the other, equally, great songs.

Let's not favour one song or group member over another.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
'Let's not favour one song or group member over another.
No let's.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Oh yes, seriously NKOTB in the list makes completely sense to me. Not because You Got It reached N.3 and Little Lies or Hold Me just reached N.4, but because the New Kids were a POP phenomenom in the late 80s, while Fleetwood Mac was no longer.
Fleetwood Mac was not a teenage boy band but they released 2 very successful pop albums in the 80s yielding 7 top 40 songs. Granted songs like Gypsy are not really pop songs since it has no chorus. But Hold Me was one of the biggest songs of 1982 and Little Lies was the perfect pop song.
Fleetwood Mac got lots of flack from music critics for Mirage being so music box pop friendly. In the Rolling Stone interview in 1982, the magazine tried to stick up for them claiming many 70s rock acts were going lighter pop and mentioned some of them.
If the list is empty and dumb pop songs then yes New Kids should rule that chart. But the BEST pop songs should have to include a little bit of talent. The list is composed of Billboard's staff favorites, no? So its really just a bunch of songs thrown together that someone likes and put numbers next to them. I think some of the chart should reflect its pop success. For example they put Madonna's Like A Prayer in the top 10 and her highest ranked song. Would not Like A Virgin deserve to be in the top 10? It was #1 for 6 weeks and sort of made Madonna a superstar. Where is Olivia's Physical? The biggest pop single of the 80s? Not top 10? What about the Knack's My Sharona? It was the biggest hit of the 70s yet not in the top 10?
The list is pure rubbish. Its just someone's favorite songs. Dreams is a good song and deserves to be on the list. But to many Stevie is Fleetwood Mac so that is all they know. They could have at least shown us their Fleetwood Mac knowledge by putting Oh Diane on the list

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-24-2023 at 06:01 AM..
Old 10-24-2023, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
'Dreams' is a Fleetwood Mac song, created by the five 'Fireflies' as are the other, equally, great songs.

Let's not favour one song or group member over another.
I do favor some members over others. Always have, always will.

While I'm happy any FM song made the list, I was hoping a Christine song would as well, since she is gone and her fans would love her to get some overdue recognition.

Though the five members collectively pooled their talents together to make Dreams, it's a Stevie song and it, once again, pushes her and her legacy front and center.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Though the five members collectively pooled their talents together to make Dreams, it's a Stevie song and it, once again, pushes her and her legacy front and center.
Only to people here on this board, I think. A majority of folks who aren’t as invested in the band don’t see it as a Stevie song, but as a FM song. I’m not trying to change your POV, I’m just looking at it from an outside POV.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Only to people here on this board, I think. A majority of folks who aren’t as invested in the band don’t see it as a Stevie song, but as a FM song. I’m not trying to change your POV, I’m just looking at it from an outside POV.
But one where she is front and center. She remains for many THE face of the band. I was hoping there'd be some recognition of Christine in addition to Stevie.

Not saying Dreams shouldn't be there. I'm saying a Christine song should also be somewhere in the 500 songs.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is a poet with her songs. How they are crafted into pop songs is nothing short of brilliant. Songs like Sara, Gold Dust Woman, Gypsy, Edge of 17 are oozing with poetry.
Christine's approach is usually peppy, catchy pop songs. This category was right up her lane. She wrote the best pop in love songs.
But like I said, this list is just a subjective view of a few in a group. Sometimes Chris's lyrics seem almost simple yet so brilliant that are so genuine. She could have written cards for Hallmark.
All I know is the way that I feel
whenever you're around
You've got a way of lifting me up
instead of bringing me down

Her Dont Stop is pretty much an anthem. This list could have been littered with her songs.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie is a poet with her songs. How they are crafted into pop songs is nothing short of brilliant. Songs like Sara, Gold Dust Woman, Gypsy, Edge of 17 are oozing with poetry.
Christine's approach is usually peppy, catchy pop songs. This category was right up her lane. She wrote the best pop in love songs.
But like I said, this list is just a subjective view of a few in a group. Sometimes Chris's lyrics seem almost simple yet so brilliant that are so genuine. She could have written cards for Hallmark.
All I know is the way that I feel
whenever you're around
You've got a way of lifting me up
instead of bringing me down

Her Dont Stop is pretty much an anthem. This list could have been littered with her songs.
Hi Macfan4life,

Thankyou! You have expressed many of our views and opinions, perfectly.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But one where she is front and center. She remains for many THE face of the band. I was hoping there'd be some recognition of Christine in addition to Stevie.

Not saying Dreams shouldn't be there. I'm saying a Christine song should also be somewhere in the 500 songs.
I’m a big, big fan of “Dreams,” so I like it up high — although the way “Silver Springs” has risen in everyone’s esteem the last few years, I’m surprised it isn’t on the top 500. Didn’t it recently experience a renaissance on YT?

“Go Your Own Way” and “You Make Loving Fun” belong on the top 500, too. Then again, Stevie has the aggressive publicist. Not being included is usually a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. The Liz Rosenberg agency would never let Stevie drop out of sight.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-26-2023, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Not being included is usually a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind.
Or a case of players-only-love-you-when-you're-playing.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Or a case of players-only-love-you-when-you're-playing.
But David, I would drink a case of you.