Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, it's not that I couldn't think of questions about her own songwriting, but I chose to tell her how much I admired Calumny and Northern Star and asked her if she's worked musically with her nephew since Meantime and put any music to his words.

Michele
I like that question.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I'm always tactful towards people I respect. Onetrackminded chiffons may get me out of that mode.
You guys are the BEST!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know? Basicly I 'm a Fleetwood Mac fan. I've become a Lindsey fanatic over here. Not because of Lindsey solely, but in the core because of critiqueless, Stevie-addicts. Which I was myself when I was a 12-18 year old. Here. I said it.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know? Basicly I 'm a Fleetwood Mac fan. I've become a Lindsey fanatic over here. Not because of Lindsey solely, but in the core because of critiqueless, Stevie-addicts. Which I was myself when I was a 12-18 year old. Here. I said it.
As long as I have been a Ledgie I have noticed your hostility to the Stevie fans.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Did you dress like a white winged dove and get thrown down like a barricade?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If anyone wants to just read the Christine related part of this post, skip down about 6 paragraphs. I wouldn't blame you.

Quote:
I'm always tactful towards people I respect. Onetrackminded chiffons may get me out of that mode.
Quote:
Individually, Stevie & Lindsey were always my two favorites. Stevie the main favorite (having been the one to first catch my attention), with Lindsey a close second. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've defended Lindsey's music to people over the past 25 years -- extolling his virtues, bragging about his talents, playing his material to win them over, etc.

But some of the Buckheads on the Ledge have been so condescending, pretentious, and often downright obnoxious over the years, that it's really dimmed my view.
I've said it before -- Lindsey's fans can be every bit as "critiqueless" and defensive as Stevie's fans, but there's this odd notion that, because they're in a comparative minority, that behavior is somehow less objectionable or less intrusive.

Because of that, I'm more critical of Lindsey's work and have a far less fawning view of him than I did years ago.

Trust me, I don't associate with the biggest moon-calves amongst Stevie's fans. I don't relate to them, and sometimes wonder if they're living on a different planet. But I'm not ashamed to be a Stevie Nicks fan, and I'm not embarrassed to speak up when I think there's another way to view her decisions or behaviors. Admittedly, I'm quick to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I think there are a lot of folks here, who -- if they're being honest with themselves -- are just as quick to find ways to disparage her.

Gerald... I've typically enjoyed debating with you over the years. We don't often see eye to eye, but that's what makes the conversations so interesting. At least to me. It's a shame that you see my side of the discussions as nothing more than the rantings of a "critiqueless Chiffonhead" who doesn't deserve respect. But such is life.

Anyway, I've hi-jacked this thread/babbled long enough. But, since the door was opened, I thought I'd get that off of my chest.

---------------------

This is the question I submitted to Christine. I originally wanted to ask about "Nights in Estoril," but since it's so obviously about Eddy Quintela, I wasn't sure how comfortable Christine would be with talking about it. Of course, it would be my luck that the song I did ask about, is also about Eddy!

Hello Christine! It's wonderful to have you back in Fleetwood Mac. You've been greatly missed.
My question is about one of my all-time favorite songs -- "The Smile I Live For." It's a forgotten gem in your catalog, and I'd love to know more about its origins, who inspired it, etc. Additionally, do you have any memories that stand out from when it was being recorded?

Thank you!
Brian,
Pittsburgh, PA
Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Did you dress like a white winged dove and get thrown down like a barricade?
No her portrait hung beside my pillow....

Old 04-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
As long as I have been a Ledgie I have noticed your hostility to the Stevie fans.
Hostility. That's a big word. Come on.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hostility. That's a big word. Come on.
Agreed, he's not just hostile to Stevie fans, he's hostile to everyone equally!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh no we've been discovered and invaded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agreed, he's not just hostile to Stevie fans, he's hostile to everyone equally!
lol. he's just equal opportunity - one hostile person! same as me.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know a lot of great Steviefans online. I'll still state that I am one myself, really. When I say that Tusk is the best album ever recorded by anyone, how can one keep up that I'm hostile towards Steviefans? Great steviefans, I've met some of them in person too. Livia, darklinensuit, strandinthewind, Tommer, estranged4life, and a lot more can undeline that I am not a hostile person towards Steviefans. I'm talking about onetrackminded logic, with no perspective from another angle. I mean, someone like trackaghost, who loves Stevie in a healthy-but fanlike way, would never underlines that I'm hostile.

But hey, I love statements.

Although you have been very elaborate through the years, Stew, that is not the case for me. In a lot of discussions of the past i've had the feeling that there were no responds on the point I was making, but it floated away from it. Maybe because of my nonnative english, but basicly -in my view ofcourse- because it didn't acknowleged my viewpoint. That makes me snarky, perhaps, but if something is perceived as hostile, one can also ask where it is coming from. A lot of times there's a causal explanation.

I've been on downtime over here for years because of it.

I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan who is excited about the five coming together again if they ARE really coming together again, and concoct something as a band. In these discussions I don't like to point fingers, I think all five of them are responsable if they go recording in small groups with different producers, just to sail around old pain. I don't believe in quality coming from that.

When people are defending Stevie with pointing fingers towards other bandmembers based on behaviour in the (darkbrown) past, I can get direct and pointy. That may be percieved as hostile, but please understand: I want a good FM album, not happy Steviesongs ala IYD, which I honestly find riskless and mediocre. Every steviefan that loves that album: be my guest. Just don't invite me to that party.

these discussion are about FM, not about soloalbums. We should be critical towards them. I am not so happy with Lindsey's choice to record Steviefriendly popsongs just to seduce her into a FM album. Au contraire. But it is clear that he wants to record with an open view, and with eachother. If That's not possible, he even accepts other routes where he has a minor role.

I think that stinks. And I don't believe that will lead to an interesting FM album.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Although you have been very elaborate through the years, Stew, that is not the case for me. In a lot of discussions of the past i've had the feeling that there were no responds on the point I was making, but it floated away from it. Maybe because of my nonnative english, but basicly -in my view ofcourse- because it didn't acknowleged my viewpoint. That makes me snarky, perhaps, but if something is perceived as hostile, one can also ask where it is coming from. A lot of times there's a causal explanation.
Gerald -- I do apologize if I've ever made it seem like I don't acknowledge your discussion points, or that I've dismissed them out of hand. Even when I'm in disagreement, I believe every view is a valid one. Perhaps in my desire to express my own viewpoint, I don't take enough time to show that I've given consideration to the opposite view.

Since we're being open, from my perspective I've often felt the same from you... that if it's a view I've expressed, you're inclined to immediately brush it aside.

Perhaps that's something we unfortunately bring out in each other -- but, with a little effort from both of us, I don't think it has to always be like that.

At any rate, we do both want the same thing... an outstanding Fleetwood Mac album that will knock our socks off and that we'll be listening to for years to come. We just have different thoughts on what will make it so.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay. Now let's place these Posts not about Christinequestions to someplace else. This thread is about her, not about us. Can you fix that?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Not sure if this question has already been answered, but I submitted anyway.

I asked for the main inspiration for writing "Why" also was the musical arrangement all Chris, or did others (Welch etc.) assist?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My question:

Dear Christine,
You've had many hits with Fleetwood Mac as well as a successful solo artists. Many of these songs (You Make Loving Fun, Say You Love Me, Don't Stop, Little Lies, Everywhere) have made it to the stage over the years. Are there any obscure/deep tracks you'd like to rehearse to try out with the band?