Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Beasts of Burden

I've read places that Snowy White plays on this as well, although I'm skeptical. Also, did Green still have his iconic Les Paul at this time? It sounds like it to me. Anybody know what his last material would have been before he sold it?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Junior Ledgie

Nigel Watson plays congas on this. Don't know about the others.

This BBC video was done around the same time. He's playing a Strat as far as I can tell. The LP was long gone to Gary Moore by then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPFEi...3E275B6351C877
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

According to the sessionography in Jet Martin Celmins PG biography, this was the line up:

Nigel Watson - Congas, Vocals
Peter Green - Guitar, Vocals
Clifford Chewaluza - Percussion
Snowy White - Guitar

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/songs...8&perfid=15430

Hope this helps.

John
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a photo of the four of them:
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Yeah, that's the Heavy Heart line-up, but Snowy White isn't in that pic. Here's an interesting article I found where in the 2nd paragraph it says Green originally tried to sell the guitar to Snowy White: http://www.thinlizzy.biz/bio-swhite.htm

Also there's this picture of Green doing a B.B. King session in June of '71, but I can't tell if that's his famous LP:

Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Yeah, that's the Heavy Heart line-up, but Snowy White isn't in that pic. Here's an interesting article I found where in the 2nd paragraph it says Green originally tried to sell the guitar to Snowy White: http://www.thinlizzy.biz/bio-swhite.htm

Also there's this picture of Green doing a B.B. King session in June of '71, but I can't tell if that's his famous LP:

That looks like a '56 Gold Top with P-90 pickups. (I've seen a couple of other photos from that session & that's what he's playing in those)

BTW...somebody wake up B.B. !
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a link to another shot from that BB King session (with Klaus Voormann at left). Peter's guitar has a tailpiece so I'd guess it's not his earlier guitar.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/94103347

In contrast, here are a couple of shots of Peter at the 8/25/70 benefit show at the 100 Club in London, also with Duster Bennett:

Anyone know who the sax player is? Wondering whether it might be John Altman from the Brunning Sunflower Blues Band.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Here's a link to another shot from that BB King session (with Klaus Voormann at left). Peter's guitar has a tailpiece so I'd guess it's not his earlier guitar.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/94103347

In contrast, here are a couple of shots of Peter at the 8/25/70 benefit show at the 100 Club in London, also with Duster Bennett:

Anyone know who the sax player is? Wondering whether it might be John Altman from the Brunning Sunflower Blues Band.
Ahhh...trapeze tailpiece...it's even older than '56...probably a '52 or '53.

The sax player looks like Climax Blues Band lead vocalist/sax player Colin Cooper. I'm not saying that it IS him, just that he LOOKS like him. Well, after looking up John Altman, it could very well be him, as well.

Last edited by chiliD; 04-23-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Yeah, that's the Heavy Heart line-up, but Snowy White isn't in that pic.
OK, I assumed that was him at the top center. Any idea who that is?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
OK, I assumed that was him at the top center. Any idea who that is?
I guess by process of elimination, it has to be Chris Kelly, who was a percussionist on the Heavy Heart single but not the Beasts Of Burden single.

John
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
That looks like a '56 Gold Top with P-90 pickups. (I've seen a couple of other photos from that session & that's what he's playing in those)

BTW...somebody wake up B.B. !
I think the guitar in the picture is Duster Bennett's famous '52 Gibson Les Paul Gold top. According to Martin Celmins book abour Duster Bennett, the Gold Top was a gift from Peter Green to Duster, who had previously had been given it by Eric Clapton: " It was half busted" Peter recalls, "when I got it from Eric. I went to his house in the forest a few times and noticed it there. I think ne of the pick-ups were missing and I said something like ' I could use that to smash up on stage like Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townsend'. So Eric said I could have it. When Duster saw it he said it looked just right for his one-man band act. He liked it so much that I gave it to him and he had it fixed" (Celmins, Jumping at Shadows, 2007, p.193).

So it's a guitar with a lot of history.

Ms Moose
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
According to the sessionography in Jet Martin Celmins PG biography, this was the line up:

Nigel Watson - Congas, Vocals
Peter Green - Guitar, Vocals
Clifford Chewaluza - Percussion
Snowy White - Guitar

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/songs...8&perfid=15430

Hope this helps.

John
Hard to believe. It's definitely a bass guitar instead of a "normal 6-string" guitar. And as far as I can see, the bass player looks a lot like Nigel Watson (same eyes).
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Hard to believe. It's definitely a bass guitar instead of a "normal 6-string" guitar. And as far as I can see, the bass player looks a lot like Nigel Watson (same eyes).
That's definitely Nigel Watson with the bass on the "Heavy Heart" video clip. But that doesn't mean he played bass on the "Beasts of Burden" studio recording (or the "Heavy Heart" recording for that matter).

Last edited by sharksfan2000; 04-25-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
That's definitely Nigel Watson with the bass on the "Heavy Heart" video clip. But that doesn't mean he played bass on the "Beasts of Burden" studio recording (or the "Heavy Heart" recording for that matter).
Agreed, and the listing I provided had nothing to do with the picture (i.e. names not listed in the order they are in the above picture), it's just the way the names are listed in the book.

John
Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Les Paul without doubt

Its most definitely a les paul played on the beast of burden record and i have no doubt peter plays all the guitar on it. Great track really love it, one of his best post mac releases!