Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Of course they have a right to play Hold Me and its a great song. However when they first announced their set list, I think most of us were surprised the dare they were taking on with deep tracks. Its apparent with dropping the deep tracks, the band feels the mood of the arena is off.
I could be in the minority but the longer this tour goes on, the more odd it is to me. I think the band would have been better off hiring a guitarist who does not sing. I think they are fully trying to replicate Lindsey in replacing him vocally and musically. I think Stevie and Chris have enough material to carry a full concert set. For the band to fire Lindsey and hire another guitarist to not only play guitar but sing Lindsey songs is still very strange to me. Imagine if the Rolling Stones fired Keith Richards and the band hired a new guitarist. The band puts "Little T&A" in the set. The fans would boo and throw food at the stage. Its bad enough you fire the guitarist but sing his songs too? I am not being harsh on Finn. He was put in this position because they want him to sing and be like Lindsey. The band cant have Finn sing vintage Mac songs because apparently the audience is bored. They dropped Hypnotized only after a few weeks. So the band feels they must play Lindsey's Rumours songs. These songs most of the audience knows. Its so strange for the band to be playing Monday Morning, Second Hand News, and Go Your Own Way. Ok, I may give them a pass at GYOW. Its always closed their sets. It was done in the years Lindsey left. However, even in those years the band did not dare do Lindsey songs. Blue Letter was played in 1987 but Lindsey did not write it. They found a way not to try and reproduce Lindsey. You cant reproduce a guitarist AND vocalist in a band. Its impossible. This is what I feel the band is experiencing right now. The concert numbers are pretty good. But something still does not feel right.
And they wonder why?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-29-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Of course they have a right to play Hold Me and its a great song. However when they first Its so strange for the band to be playing Monday Morning, Second Hand News, and Go Your Own Way. Ok, I may give them a pass at GYOW. Its always closed their sets. It was done in the years Lindsey left. However, even in those years the band did not dare do Lindsey songs. Blue Letter was played in 1987 but Lindsey did not write it. They found a way not to try and reproduce Lindsey. You cant reproduce a guitarist AND vocalist in a band. Its impossible. This is what I feel the band is experiencing right now. The concert numbers are pretty good. But something still does not feel right.
And they wonder why?
Just wanted to remind you that Billy Burnette also sang Don't Let Me Down Again, a song that Lindsey recorded before he even joined FM. To me, that was more brazen than Neil singing Second Hand News.

Also, I understand what you're saying about Hold Me, but the fact that FM hasn't performed it live since 1982 does, to me, make it a surprising and pleasing addition! Although I hate they gave up Isn't It Midnight, at least they replaced it with Hold Me and not Over My Head, for example, a song I love but has been performed several times by FM, unlike Hold Me.

I kind of thought there was a good chance Hold Me and Wish You Were Here would be on the original set list, since they were performed by Buck/Vie last year.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I kind of thought there was a good chance Hold Me and Wish You Were Here would be on the original set list, since they were performed by Buck/Vie last year.
Yes I was sure they were gonna do Hold Me on this tour because they had it down for BuckVie. If Lindsey was not kicked out I have no doubt it would have been a part of the standard setlist.

For some reason this one hurts. I’m happy they are doing Second Hand News and Monday Morning. I hate they are doing GYOW but Lindsey’s solo tour is healing for that. But Hold Me? I don’t know why but it just hurts. She was doing that nice intro to it last year, how it was one of their duets, her and Lindsey. How much the two of them always had a connection and worked so great together. It just finally feels like she’s really betraying him.

And people, please don’t come back to this with some stupid reasoning and trying to rationalize why it’s ok. It is not, not to me.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just wanted to remind you that Billy Burnette also sang Don't Let Me Down Again, a song that Lindsey recorded before he even joined FM. To me, that was more brazen than Neil singing Second Hand News.
Agreed.

I used to think that it was brazen, too, until I learned that Billy and his dad were given a copy of Buckingham Nicks in 1973 and Billy immediately fell in love with the album. He thought it was reminiscent of Delaney & Bonnie. He may have been familiar with them before being familiar with Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, DLMDA was a natural fit for his style.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Agreed.

I used to think that it was brazen, too, until I learned that Billy and his dad were given a copy of Buckingham Nicks in 1973 and Billy immediately fell in love with the album. He thought it was reminiscent of Delaney & Bonnie. He may have been familiar with them before being familiar with Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, DLMDA was a natural fit for his style.
I never thought it was brazen, for those very reasons. Billy had a baker's dozen links to Fleetwood Mac by that time, and loved Lindsey. You can bet that DLMDA was in the set in 1987 expressly because Billy wanted to do it. So it wasn't brazen at all—it was a tribute from a fan (a fan who appeared with Lindsey on SNL in 1981).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I never thought it was brazen, for those very reasons. Billy had a baker's dozen links to Fleetwood Mac by that time, and loved Lindsey. You can bet that DLMDA was in the set in 1987 expressly because Billy wanted to do it. So it wasn't brazen at all—it was a tribute from a fan (a fan who appeared with Lindsey on SNL in 1981).
I remember being quite pleased with the Billy choice back in 1987. I was so familiar with his music and style that I didn't mind it at all.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Also, I understand what you're saying about Hold Me, but the fact that FM hasn't performed it live since 1982 does, to me, make it a surprising and pleasing addition! Although I hate they gave up Isn't It Midnight, at least they replaced it with Hold Me and not Over My Head, for example, a song I love but has been performed several times by FM, unlike Hold Me.
I'm unbelievably sad about IIM's dissapearance from the setlist. It's one of my favorite songs and it's inclusion is what got me hyped for this tour and convinced me to buy my ticket. Hoping they don't cut anymore...

You've got a point though that seeing Hold Me is a rarity in it of itself, even if I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the song. From the video I saw of it though I did like it better than the album cut, so that's something.

If they had cut IIM for the low-energy Over My Head I would have thrown a chair .

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 11-29-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I'm unbelievably sad about IIM's dissapearance from the setlist. It's one of my favorite songs and it's inclusion is what got me hyped for this tour and convinced me to buy my ticket. Hoping they don't cut anymore...

You've got a point though that seeing Hold Me is a rarity in it of itself, even if I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the song. From the video I saw of it though I did like it better than the album cut, so that's something.

If they had cut IIM for the low-energy Over My Head I would have thrown a chair .
Agree... Over My Head Live... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 11-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agree... Over My Head Live... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
True.
Give us the Live Album (1980) version or go home.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Soon they'll just play the Greatest Hits cd over the PA, watching on hesitantly from backstage while the audience is hosed down with jets of cheap beer.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Soon they'll just play the Greatest Hits cd over the PA, watching on hesitantly from backstage while the audience is hosed down with jets of cheap beer.
OMG, this is just hilarious.....thank you!!!! I'm still laughing.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
But only every third night.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
True.
Give us the Live Album (1980) version or go home.
I agree. The Live album version has some energy, as well as the live versions from the '75 tour. Beyond that? Gawdddd it's dull. The Dance performance in particular was lame as all hell. They made a good move to replace it with Oh Daddy on the ensuing tour. Wish they had done that for the special as well.

Sidenote does anyone else completely LOVE the '97 rendition of Oh Daddy? Chris' voice is strong and I love the instrumentation/backing vocals

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I agree. The Live album version has some energy, as well as the live versions from the '75 tour. Beyond that? Gawdddd it's dull. The Dance performance in particular was lame as all hell. They made a good move to replace it with Oh Daddy on the ensuing tour. Wish they had done that for the special as well.

Sidenote does anyone else completely LOVE the '97 rendition of Oh Daddy? Chris' voice is strong and I love the instrumentation/backing vocals
The way she sang Oh Daddy on the Dance Tour had me in tears. It was so good.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's correct. One difference is that Stevie sings the entire song (Don't let me down again). I love Hold Me and welcome it to the set. That's not my point. I just see their bravery falling apart. I think they had too much faith in their casual fans. You know, the ones who only show up for Stevie which is about 80% of the crowd.