User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Carousell Ballroom, 1968, tracks

Hi,

I have two discs full of tracks from the Carousell Ballroom shows, june 1968.
However I'd like to know which ones are from june 7, and which from june 8. I have also heard mention of june 9, however, the Penguin tourbooks don't show this date.... BTW, Paul Butterfield guests on *.

Can anyone help me out?
Disc1:
01. Madison Blues
02. Something Inside Me
03. The Woman I Love
04. Worried Dream
05. Dust My Broom
06. Got To Move
07. Trying So Hard To Forget
08. Jam On “Wish You Would”
09. Have You Ever Love A Woman
10. Lazy Poker Blues
11. Stop Messin Round *
12. I Loved Another Woman *
13. I Believe I’ll Go Back Home *
14. The Sun Is Shining *
15. Long Tall Sally *
16. Willy And The Hand Jive
17. Tutti Frutti
18. Ready Teddy

Disc 2
01. Standing At The Crossroads
02. Stormy Monday Blues
03. I Loved Another Woman
04. The Woman I Love
05. Crossroad Blues
06. Stranger Blues
07. Going Down Blues
08. Lazy Poker Blues
09. Tutti Frutti
10. Madison Blues
11. You Can’t Keep Me
12. My Baby’s Sweet
13. Dust My Broom
14. Have You Ever Loved A Woman
15. Shake Your Moneymaker
16. Need Your Love So Bad
17. I Believe I’ll Go Back Home
18. Shake Your Moneymaker
19. Ready Teddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fleetwood Mac - 1968-08-07 + Paul Butterfield.jpg (8.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Just a comment about the photo you attached-- I always thought that was from the Bluesbreaker days??? John's hair was longer than that in 1968.

-Lis
Old 06-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That photo is definitely from the Bluesbreakers session with Paul Butterfield - late '66 I believe. As far as dates on those tracks, your guess is as good as mine. Some traders list the Carousel show as 23 June, and I do believe that the band played there at two different times that month. I think I may have more info on these shows, I'll have to see if I can find that.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
That photo is definitely from the Bluesbreakers session with Paul Butterfield - late '66 I believe. As far as dates on those tracks, your guess is as good as mine. Some traders list the Carousel show as 23 June, and I do believe that the band played there at two different times that month. I think I may have more info on these shows, I'll have to see if I can find that.
Thanks for the info of the photograph.
Hope you can find more on the shows, and yes, I got notice of a june 23 show but couldn't find any justification on it.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac was booked for two three day stands at the beginning 6th, 7th & 8th and end 20th, 22nd and 23rd of June 1968 at the Carousel Ballroom.
While it is pretty much impossible to determine which dates the tracks were recorded (the running order of the songs that you have differ from the discs that I have, just to add to the confusion!), but if you listen to Green's intro for "I Loved Another Woman", the one where Butterfield guests, he proudly proclaims that he has only been in the States for a week and can already speak the language. He also mentions that they will be back in two weeks - indicating that this was from June 9th.

On your Disc 2, tracks 16 thru 19 would appear to be from one of the shows during their second stand, as after "Shake Your Moneymaker", Green tells the audience they will do one more number, and then turn the stage over to Big Brother and the Holding Company. Their return to the Carousel saw them move up a notch in the show, with Dr. John the Night Tripper now opening and Fleetwood Mac taking the middle set before the headliners Big Brother.

(Slightly off topic) Also on your Disc 2 - the song you have titled "Going Down Blues" is actually the St. Louis Jimmy Oden number "Goin' Down Slow" - the version that Green performs was recorded by Howlin' Wolf, with the spoken verses written into the song by Willie Dixon.
Wolf is rarely mentioned when discussing Green, but Green covered a surprising number of his songs.

Anyway, until someone can find the original of the tapes used for the bootlegs there is really no way to be sure which songs where from which nights. All we can do is guess.
Hope this helped (a little bit anyway)

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First of all, thanks for your reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Fleetwood Mac was booked for two three day stands at the beginning 6th, 7th & 8th and end 20th, 22nd and 23rd of June 1968 at the Carousel Ballroom.
While it is pretty much impossible to determine which dates the tracks were recorded (the running order of the songs that you have differ from the discs that I have, just to add to the confusion!), but if you listen to Green's intro for "I Loved Another Woman", the one where Butterfield guests, he proudly proclaims that he has only been in the States for a week and can already speak the language. He also mentions that they will be back in two weeks - indicating that this was from June 9th.
Or june 8th or 7th or 6th? Suddenly june 9th turns up??
Quote:
On your Disc 2, tracks 16 thru 19 would appear to be from one of the shows during their second stand, as after "Shake Your Moneymaker", Green tells the audience they will do one more number, and then turn the stage over to Big Brother and the Holding Company. Their return to the Carousel saw them move up a notch in the show, with Dr. John the Night Tripper now opening and Fleetwood Mac taking the middle set before the headliners Big Brother.
That's good info

Quote:
(Slightly off topic) Also on your Disc 2 - the song you have titled "Going Down Blues" is actually the St. Louis Jimmy Oden number "Goin' Down Slow"
I was aware of that, but hadn't changed the title (yet), sorry if I misled anybody.

Quote:
Anyway, until someone can find the original of the tapes used for the bootlegs there is really no way to be sure which songs where from which nights. All we can do is guess.
Hope this helped (a little bit anyway)
I fully agree (sadly )

BTW, I read the thread you started, asking for a couple of recordings from these shows. Do you have them already, or can I be of any help?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I attached a jpg file of the poster for the 20, 22, & 23 June dates at the Carousel Ballroom. Not exactly classic San Francisco rock poster artwork!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fleetwood mac carousel poster.jpg (86.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much, Sharkfan, for sending this poster!!