User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr. View Post
Knopfler is way underrated I think. And now, that Gypsy sound...
Just sounds like Lindsey using a delay somewhere around the 400milisecond range on a Stratocaster, I'm certain its a Strat from the tone. The index finger sounds like its anchored on the 13th fret over the top E and B strings. Lindsey is picking the 15th fret of the E string, pulling off to the 13th fret and then hammering the 15th fret of the B string before picking the 13th fret of E again repeatedly at the start of the solo. Then he is playing an alternating Travis pick of the 13th, 15th and 17th frets of the E string and the 13th & 15th fret of the B with the 14th fret of the G string thrown in too for good measure. At least thats what it sounds like to me...

He's double tracked it too and so you have two guitars on the studio version. Live it sounds like he slows the delay a little bit and that gives the "multiple guitar" sound (like Big Love) when he picks quickly.

Knopfler is very underated and remains to this day the only guitarist I've ever seen that's left me wondering "how did he do that?" at times..

*listening to it again I would say the studio version appears to have Christine playing some kind of keyboard underneath Lindseys guitar. rather than it being a double tracked guitar.

Last edited by madformac; 08-02-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: * Just listened to the song to check my theory.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. Those songs prove that he's a wonderful guitarist, who can perfectly play in the context of the song.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post

Knopfler is very underated and remains to this day the only guitarist I've ever seen that's left me wondering "how did he do that?" at times..
Me too. He always leaves me wondering "How does he do that while asleep?"

Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL.

Knopfler might not always play huge solos like the awesome lady writer & sultans of swing, he has a great, instantly recognisable tone, that alone makes him great.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting and continuing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
Just sounds like Lindsey using a delay somewhere around the 400milisecond range on a Stratocaster, I'm certain its a Strat from the tone.
Interesting. I'll have to listen to it again. I always thought it was a Telecaster or even a Chet Atkins or something like that. But then, you're probably right---I'm not a very technical person.

In the photos from his early days with the Mac, Lindsey almost always has a Les Paul, although I don't think he used it exclusively in the studio.

I think it's also interesting to note the changes in guitar tones that Lindsey has used over the years. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like he doesn't vary the tone in recent years as much as he did pre-TANGO.

Before I say this next comment---let me just say up front that I'm a huge fan of Lindsey's music and recording techniques. He been a particular influence on me in terms of using the studio as a tool [albeit my small home recording set-up] to make songs come alive.

But, since this thread was started to discuss Lindsey "Live v. Studio," I wanted to throw this out there.

After THE DANCE was released, I remember hearing an FM bootleg from the tour that followed. I was shocked. Not only was all of the between-song banter by the band members nearly exactly the same as it was on THE DANCE...the playing was also practically identical. The solos were nearly note-for-note the same.

For a group of musicians as talented as FM, this was just completely shocking and saddening to me. I remember asking a friend, "What's the use of playing live if you're just doing the same thing every night?"

Last year, I was blessed to be able to see Lindsey here in Houston [7th row tickets! woo-hoo!]. But, again, there seemed to be little room for improvisation or spontaneity. He certainly played with emotion---I don't think anyone could argue with that---but, in terms of the songs that were played, the comments that he made, and the notes that were played---it all seemed very rehearsed. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall some of the comments Lindsey made and the song arrangements matching the Soundstage DVD.

I think Lindsey is one of the most underrated, talented guitarists in rock music today. But this approach to live performance...it's almost clinical...and it's hard for me to reconcile his obvious talent with such a rigid approach to performance.

I know. I'm probably just being too picky!

But I can't help comparing my other favorite performers with my favorite band, Crowded House. They don't play two concerts the same; the set list changes each show, they do audience requests, they make songs up on the spot, they encourage fans to participate in the shows. To me, their concerts are the definition of what a live show should be: an interactive experience.

From a technical standpoint, Lindsey is a far more talented musician than any of the members of Crowded House. Yet, his set lists rarely change from one show to another. Even the stories he tells to introduce songs rarely change.

I guess that's the one thing about him, as a performer, that I've never understood. We all know about him being a perfectionist and having control issues, particularly in the studio. Maybe he's just not comfortable with allowing things to be more relaxed on stage. But it still seems strange to me that this incredibly talented person, who seems so willing to try different or unusual approaches to recording, is almost rigid when it comes to concert performances.

mattl
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Yet, his set lists rarely change from one show to another. Even the stories he tells to introduce songs rarely change.
I've seen so many performers that do this not just Lindsey, so I've never found it unusual. It's not that I don't wish they would change up stories sometimes. I totally see what you're saying but I would think its really hard to change it up every show in every town. I'm sure many artists don't consider that everyone talks about show details now via the internet or attends multiple shows. I noticed as the tour went along, Lindsey figured that out though. LOL But,still, many people in the audience had never heard his stories before (shocking I know ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Maybe he's just not comfortable with allowing things to be more relaxed on stage. But it still seems strange to me that this incredibly talented person, who seems so willing to try different or unusual approaches to recording, is almost rigid when it comes to concert performances.
I would agree with that statement with his first and second legs...more on the first. Maybe being that he hadn't performed solo in so long, it took him a while to loosen up on stage and feel comfortable with his performance. I think he loosened up quite a bit as the second leg wound down and the third and fourth leg of the tour started. I was actually shocked and quite pleased he would do a request or two from the audience and extend solos etc...