Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I received this anonimous messages on Tumblr on this topic (definitely not creepy at all):

I am aware of the confusion regarding the WISYA's vocals, so I'll provide you with the quote I used. On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms. “Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

Btw, you can find that quote on Pitchfork's review of the Tango in the Night Deluxe set.
Thanks for sharing. That quote is really really scary but not surprising. Its also no surprise that Stevie's management forced her to seek help.
Even though the treatment was successful, Stevie left Betty Ford early and "ran away." That's usually a red flag that someone is going to relapse. When Stevie returned to the band for the end of Tango (before release), I can see why Lindsey could not dare tour with such insanity.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the demo of Oooh My Love sounds so odd because you can tell Stevie is so out of it. One of my favorite photos is the one with Stevie and Lindsey during the Tango sessions. Lindsey is looking at Stevie and Stevie is without makeup (or very litte), her hair a mess, she looks like she has been up all night from a party and hung over, smoking a long Kool Mild 100 cigarette. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that one definitely is.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-07-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thanks for sharing. That quote is really really scary but not surprising. Its also no surprise that Stevie's management forced her to seek help.
Even though the treatment was successful, Stevie left Betty Ford early and "ran away." That's usually a red flag that someone is going to relapse. When Stevie returned to the band for the end of Tango (before release), I can see why Lindsey could not dare tour with such insanity.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the demo of Oooh My Love sounds so odd because you can tell Stevie is so out of it. One of my favorite photos is the one with Stevie and Lindsey during the Tango sessions. Lindsey is looking at Stevie and Stevie is without makeup (or very litte), her hair a mess, she looks like she has been up all night from a party and hung over, smoking a long Kool Mild 100 cigarette. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that one definitely is.
Ah ah it wasn't that what I found creepy, but I guess the content of the quote can be creepy too in its own way.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I received this anonimous messages on Tumblr on this topic (definitely not creepy at all):

I am aware of the confusion regarding the WISYA's vocals, so I'll provide you with the quote I used. On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms. “Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

Btw, you can find that quote on Pitchfork's review of the Tango in the Night Deluxe set.
Yikes!!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Senior Ledgie

I find Stevie's vocals on WISYA to be heartbreakingly beautiful, capturing where she was in her imperfect life and career. However, I can't deal with lyrics like and she stares at the stairs ooh there are so many things to stare at these days - so I never listen to it.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I find Stevie's vocals on WISYA to be heartbreakingly beautiful, capturing where she was in her imperfect life and career. However, I can't deal with lyrics like and she stares at the stairs ooh there are so many things to stare at these days - so I never listen to it.
I justify it that way, too. I really enjoy WISYA and the ache in her heart. Further, I've never been as hard on her for her lyrics as I have the other two. Oy...

Having said that, I don't listen to FMac for the lyrics. Thank goodness for that!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:04 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I justify it that way, too. I really enjoy WISYA and the ache in her heart. Further, I've never been as hard on her for her lyrics as I have the other two. Oy...

Having said that, I don't listen to FMac for the lyrics. Thank goodness for that!
I'm glad others view her vocals on that song the same way.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As the person who contacted Sister Nightroad says, the article says this:

On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms. “Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

Here's the thing -- this sentence is from the writer, expressing their own opinion:
On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms

They then went back to an older interview Lindsey did with someone else and in which he talked about the overall issues dealing with Stevie during the making of that album:
“Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

By kluging those two pieces together the writer makes it appear as if Lindsey's comment was made in response to being asked about WISYA specifically. He was not. He was asked about working with her on everything.

He has said many times before that she was not available to work on either his or Chris's songs. There's the infamous story from Mick in his book that when Stevie did show up at one point she was mad she was not heard on any of their songs, and Chris said to her that she had wanted Stevie on the songs but Stevie had not been there. They then came to a truce and Stevie recorded some bits like "tell me lies" on Little Lies. But Lindsey had already done his work on those songs to try and make it sound like she was in the mix on other parts as well because they didn't know they'd get anything more from her.

My original question was about the claim that in one song you can hear that Lindsey has tweaked his own voice to sound like her and then after the middle 8 you hear him go back to his own voice. I'd love to know what song that is.

Whew.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
My original question was about the claim that in one song you can hear that Lindsey has tweaked his own voice to sound like her and then after the middle 8 you hear him go back to his own voice. I'd love to know what song that was
This is just a guess, but could he be talking about "Family Man" -- that part after the guitar solo, around the 2:20 or 2:30 mark -- where it sounds like Stevie mumbling "am what I am what I am what I am" out into infinity?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I received these anonimous messages on Tumblr on this topic (definitely not creepy at all):

WelcomeChris

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
As the person who contacted Sister Nightroad says, the article says this:

On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms. “Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

Here's the thing -- this sentence is from the writer, expressing their own opinion:
On “When I See You Again,” Nicks’ voice almost crumbles and shatters into atoms

They then went back to an older interview Lindsey did with someone else and in which he talked about the overall issues dealing with Stevie during the making of that album:
“Stevie was the worst she’s ever been,” Buckingham told Uncut in 2013. “I didn’t recognize her...I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren’t her.”

By kluging those two pieces together the writer makes it appear as if Lindsey's comment was made in response to being asked about WISYA specifically. He was not. He was asked about working with her on everything.

He has said many times before that she was not available to work on either his or Chris's songs. There's the infamous story from Mick in his book that when Stevie did show up at one point she was mad she was not heard on any of their songs, and Chris said to her that she had wanted Stevie on the songs but Stevie had not been there. They then came to a truce and Stevie recorded some bits like "tell me lies" on Little Lies. But Lindsey had already done his work on those songs to try and make it sound like she was in the mix on other parts as well because they didn't know they'd get anything more from her.

My original question was about the claim that in one song you can hear that Lindsey has tweaked his own voice to sound like her and then after the middle 8 you hear him go back to his own voice. I'd love to know what song that is.

Whew.

Good work Sherlock.
Regarding the comment about '...after the middle 8 the rest of the song is sung in Buckinghams normal register', isnt that just an opinion by the wiki author specifically about WISYA based on the vague, unclear references?
I'm confused.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Good work Sherlock.
Regarding the comment about '...after the middle 8 the rest of the song is sung in Buckinghams normal register', isnt that just an opinion by the wiki author specifically about WISYA based on the vague, unclear references?
I'm confused.
Yes, exactly.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Good work Sherlock.
I'm confused.
then where, before the middle 8, is he singing on that song, and more specifically, where is Stevie NOT singing it and where you think it's Stevie it's really Lindsey having tweaked his voice?

Doesn't make sense.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Wouldn't it be something if it was discovered Lindsey disguised his voice as Stevie sang the entire song of Seven Wonders himself.
Now THAT would be something
Old 09-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO at that time she was so out of it on drugs, carried away with herself and fame that her voice had morphed into a caricature of itself. Like an older actress who's performances are way over the top. Think Carol Burnett's Norma Desmond and I know I'm dating myself. This is Stevie's voice back then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKhw-v5h2I
Old 09-08-2017, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
If she keeps bashing him like she has....he just might. I would rather the call it quits as a band at this point and Lindsey write that book. Let there be another duo album instead. I've had it with her antics. And before you S fans all chime in, not more then a year ago I was the biggest fan, but she has squandered that very quickly.
Po wittle Windsey...big bad Stevie said something unflattering. We get it. You guys dont like Stevie Nicks.