User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I've never bought into this at all. To me it's something sort of created by the press.
I was always drawn to the band because of the music. And only because of the music - the voices, the guitar, the drums, the bass.
Much of what is made of Stevie and Lindsey's relationship is manufactured.
This may be so but why on earth are they still writing songs about each other?
Do Stevie & Lindsey write about each other just to perpetuate the myth & sell their music to fans of the 'soap opera'?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_the_torment View Post
Do Stevie & Lindsey write about each other just to perpetuate the myth & sell their music to fans of the 'soap opera'?
It's worked well in the past so I'm sure they aren't changing the formula.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
And if so, he should probably also avoid saying it's roleplaying in the same interviews he's supposedly peddling this myth by saying songs like It Takes Time are about Stevie... Kind of defeats the purpose of selling a myth if you're also saying it's a myth to that same audience.

If we're saying Lindsey is very authentic, honest, non-commercial etc blah blah blah especially in his solo career, does it also make sense to then say he's peddling some age-old 'myth' in his lyrics just to appease a band of hardcore fans? I'm going with the 'sick' option just because he himself said their war was sick.

Either way, I'd sure like for Buckingham Nicks to not only become comedians but also actors because apparently they're damn good at it...
_

Maybe I've just been holding out too long
And maybe I couldn't admit that I was wrong
And maybe I've just been lying to myself
And no one else

Slow down, baby
Cross that line
If you want to save me
It takes time

And maybe I've wasted all this precious time
Trying to prove what is and isn't mine
Wondering to myself if you knew
It was all for you

I had another dream of you last night
Sailing on a sea of blue
You were grieving for someone else
I was grieving for you

Miss Fantasy
It may be
You don't remember me
But I remember you

Do you still tremble when I fall?
Will you still answer when I call?
Would you still love to linger up against the wall?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
If we're saying Lindsey is very authentic, honest, non-commercial etc blah blah blah
THIS. Exactly--I would never describe Lindsey as anything other than authentic, full of integrity, honesty, etc. when it comes to music. Mick and Stevie are both self-admitted drama queens and I tend to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

I have to ask the question other people have been asking too: Why would Lindsey still be writing songs about Stevie if it's all a money-making scheme? I don't doubt their onstage antics are largely scripted (however, I don't think that the emotions they're showing are--I think they all genuinely care for one another), but it's a stretch to say that Lindsey sits down to compose a song with the thought "I need to write this about Stevie so that people will take interest in our scripted drama and buy a lot of copies."

Yesterday I was listening to the audio of that visit Lindsey did to the USC campus after the "Seeds We Sow" tour. A student asked Lindsey what it was like to work with Stevie again on "Soldier's Angel." Lindsey talked at length about his relationship with Stevie, the nature of it, their history, how he met her when he was sixteen, how he hopes they have "a few more chapters to write" regarding their relationship, etc. Now, the man is speaking to a room full of twenty-somethings--was he talking about Stevie in that way with the intention of making money? I doubt it. The bottom line is this: Lindsey and Stevie have always had a complicated relationship and I think they always will. But they have both expressed interest in continuing to make music together and seem to be getting along much better now, which is nice to see. So what's the problem?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suppose if he talked/wrote about his wife and kids sales would plummet. The fabulous decades long drama looks awful in that light, just Stevie flirting with a married man again.

Okay, I know I'm on ignore with some of the hardcore Rumours/B-N worshippers here from some time back, so I'll trouble your shangri-la no more with reality about abortions and such. You want your fantasy of a great romance but not the actual details. I just hope neither ends up like another figure of hero worship Michael Jackson. Apparently it's hard to sleep at night in these fantasy lands. I'd rather be Peter Green without the massive money; he's saner and more true to his art than anyone. So funny how those who talk most about big loves and all that showy jazz actually do so many inhuman things and leave behind real victims.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Outside of Rumours, I don't think that Lindsey believes songs about Stevie are commercial successes -- not for him. He seems to like Big Love an awful lot and that's not about Stevie primarily. He doesn't sell any more records whether he's quoting Emily Dickinson or talking about his wife and kids (It Was You) or singing long live the queen.

So, I think he's writing for his own needs, not to continue drama for the public's sake. I think focused fans really miscalculate the extent to which anyone else cares about what these people write today.

I think he thinks writing about complicated relationships and the dynamics between people who have known each other a long time is inherently intriguing and they don't necessarily have to be romantic relationships or not actively romantic anyway. It's the fact that you have this bond and love for people that you don't even LIKE some of the time that makes it fascinating for him. He says they shouldn't have been in a band together, yet he's been through things with him that he hasn't been through with people who were in the same family as him and I think that contradiction continues to stimulate him, emotionally and creatively.

A lot of his songs like Peacekeeper or Sad Angel or even Shut Us Down are about work, not a love affair. And I think it's easy to be enthralled by their relationships without wanting them to get married and have babies. What's not fake or fabricated is that some of the people have known each other since the sixties and some have known each other since 1975 and they still are together in one sense or another. That interests me no end.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 07-10-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I believe the "lol" at the end of the post meant he was being facetious.
Well, that went over my head!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
Why blame the press? Lindsey seems to bring this up repeatedly on his own. He, of all people, should have gotten sick of talking about it by now. But he doesn't seem to. It's either some sick obsession or a calculated marketing ploy.
I vote option #2
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And I think it's easy to be enthralled by their relationships without wanting them to get married and have babies. What's not fake or fabricated is that some of the people have known each other since the sixties and some have known each other since 1975 and they still are together in one sense or another. That interests me no end.

Michele
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I suppose if he talked/wrote about his wife and kids sales would plummet. The fabulous decades long drama looks awful in that light, just Stevie flirting with a married man again.

Okay, I know I'm on ignore with some of the hardcore Rumours/B-N worshippers here from some time back, so I'll trouble your shangri-la no more with reality about abortions and such. You want your fantasy of a great romance but not the actual details. I just hope neither ends up like another figure of hero worship Michael Jackson. Apparently it's hard to sleep at night in these fantasy lands. I'd rather be Peter Green without the massive money; he's saner and more true to his art than anyone. So funny how those who talk most about big loves and all that showy jazz actually do so many inhuman things and leave behind real victims.
Um, but he does write songs about his family (and use video/pics in promo, etc) and he certainly DOES talk about his 'beautiful wife' and family - many times when he talks about him and Stevie, he'll talk its complexity, the love, etc but then disclaim what he says with the whole 'but I'm happily married, a surprise late in life' and so on. He's also, several times, made a point of contrasting him and Stevie in terms of how he's married/has kids and she doesn't have that, and how thankful he is for it.

He refers to his wife/kids onstage, in interviews for hardcore fans, in interviews for the general public, all of that. Sales don't plummet because of that. That would be ridiculous. MOST people don't go through FM or LB lyrics before purchasing music going 'oooh! that one's about Stevie and so's that one but if they were about his wife instead then I'd totally not bother with buying the album.'

And I'm not sure that they're that calculated re. being careful to tread lightly on the drama-love-r'ship line considering some of the almost unbelievable quotes they've both made on the topic. If they are calculated that much, I'd tell them to get difference advice on how to do so because at times it makes neither of them look particularly healthy or 'over it'... And it's often in conjunction with other quotes about present happiness and contentment with their situation (either single/married) so it doesn't really work as a tool for shipper's fantasies either.

I would also venture to say that not all 'shippers' do want to live in some happy fantasy hero-worshipping world with declarations of undying love and ignoring reality. In fact, I think the reality of the situation (and that includes both the present reality of a marriage/kids for Lindsey and also the past realities of some probable really unpleasant times that went down) makes their story and their current interactions MORE interesting. All details do (to me, and whether positive or negative) is give me a clearer picture of these two people and their incredibly flawed and complicated history and relationship. And that r'ship doesn't have to be a current sexual relationship or even a romantic one at all. They're plenty fascinating enough without that

Even if I might join Lindsey in his dreaming from time to time...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I think it's important to distinguish that Lindsey did not write those songs - he contributed instrumentation, which is not substantial enough to get him writing credits.
That was my point.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Well, that went over my head!
You should know me by now..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

I can follow you in every detail. I just hope you don't paint Lindsey in the same corner as Stevie. You can hate him to the guts, But he's at least as attached to his art as Greeny. To be fair, he's a lot more focused than the old hero, and still searching for new grounds, although he's a very shtickloving controlfreak. The man should headline the Big Bang Theory. Still, he's the most innovative Macmember ever. At least he's trying too in an organic way, at a pretty respectful age.

Last edited by shackin'up; 07-10-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. They do. Heck, it' seems to be the appointment. Still, the fact that those songs intensions are only moneydriven, does not make them meaningless. They contribute to the legacy, and That's all they got now, in 2013.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You should know me by now..
True. Many here have very specific positions that have remained constant for years and I think, in many instances, you can determine what they are mean without emoticons.

Michele