The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For only $10 how can you not? It's a nice little time capsule of the 80's. Stevie at her megalomaniac best, sticking extra lines in songs and having her own close up. I swear she needed the extra close ups just so her hair would fit into the screen. If they didn't do it they would have had to put everyone else up on boxes so they'd all fit on the screen at the same time. But her outfits are superb. And I love the arrangement of Seven Wonders. I think the ending works better live than on the album cut. And I know I'm in the minority here but I love her extra little bit in Everywhere is great. I think Christine trying to sing the little "do do do's" at the end doesn't really work. That really should have been a keyboard. And whoever did the sound mix should have brought up the background vocals for that part. I think they were trying to do something like they did with Eyes of the World during the Mirage tour doing some interesting vocal play but since you can't hear the background singers as much it makes Chris sound silly. But I love the video of the rehearsal and everyone vamping it up for the camera. That's the highlight of the whole video for me and worth the $10 alone. I'd say get it. It's fun. Not the best FM performance there is out there but still, very fun.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
For only $10 how can you not? It's a nice little time capsule of the 80's. Stevie at her megalomaniac best, sticking extra lines in songs and having her own close up. I swear she needed the extra close ups just so her hair would fit into the screen. If they didn't do it they would have had to put everyone else up on boxes so they'd all fit on the screen at the same time. But her outfits are superb. And I love the arrangement of Seven Wonders. I think the ending works better live than on the album cut. And I know I'm in the minority here but I love her extra little bit in Everywhere is great. I think Christine trying to sing the little "do do do's" at the end doesn't really work. That really should have been a keyboard. And whoever did the sound mix should have brought up the background vocals for that part. I think they were trying to do something like they did with Eyes of the World during the Mirage tour doing some interesting vocal play but since you can't hear the background singers as much it makes Chris sound silly. But I love the video of the rehearsal and everyone vamping it up for the camera. That's the highlight of the whole video for me and worth the $10 alone. I'd say get it. It's fun. Not the best FM performance there is out there but still, very fun.
Doesn't the ending bit sound basically the same on The Dance?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Doesn't the ending bit sound basically the same on The Dance?
Yes, it does. They pretty much did the exact same arrangement except without Stevie. I always had this fantasy that somewhere on the cutting room floor there's one shot of Christine launching into to the chorus giving Stevie a look of "so help me, if you even..."
Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I distinctly remember not liking this version of Everywhere, since Stevie has what I feel is an obtrusive vocal line "I wanna be with you" in the refrain that's not in the studio or Dance versions. It just breaks the feel of the song, in my opinion. I like her additions to Isn't It Midnight much more.
Oh yes. The bold way Stevie chimed in made me think she might as well have gone up there and banged a gong on Everywhere. Michele
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh yes. The bold way Stevie chimed in made me think she might as well have gone up there and banged a gong on Everywhere. Michele
Hahaha!!!! That made me laugh!! I keep getting visuals...
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That reminds me of this French & Saunders clip where Jennifer Saunders is trying anything she can to get just a little bit of attention away from Dawn French's Stevie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fQ8ATZX_8s
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Tango DVD... I just like it... Stevie is behaving a little weird thanks to Klonopin, but I like that too... itīs just another style of performing. The Chain is great, Stand Back, Isnīt It Midnight... amazing... Iīd love to see the whole concert, there is no quality video of Tango tour and here are just 13 songs... not much. They played another good stuff - Sara, Say You Love Me, Over My Head, Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You, Brown Eyes, Blue Letter, You Make Loving Fun, Donīt Let Me Down Again, Gypsy, Rhiannon... at least I have some audio recordings Tango was good tour, also because they played many Europe cities...

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

QUESTION ABOUT STEVIE'S POST-PRODUCTION FILMED CLOSE-UPS?

Why did Stevie choose to do this? This looks somewhat ridiculous. In subsequent filmed live concerts (THE DANCE, LIVE IN BOSTON, SOUNDSTAGE) she did not choose to go the re-filmed close up route. Did she not care for the way she looked in these filmed live shows? Thank goodness she got over this phase. She looks fantastic in THE DANCE video.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
QUESTION ABOUT STEVIE'S POST-PRODUCTION FILMED CLOSE-UPS?

Why did Stevie choose to do this? This looks somewhat ridiculous. In subsequent filmed live concerts (THE DANCE, LIVE IN BOSTON, SOUNDSTAGE) she did not choose to go the re-filmed close up route. Did she not care for the way she looked in these filmed live shows? Thank goodness she got over this phase. She looks fantastic in THE DANCE video.
The Red Rocks video was even worse.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
That reminds me of this French & Saunders clip where Jennifer Saunders is trying anything she can to get just a little bit of attention away from Dawn French's Stevie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fQ8ATZX_8s
I watch this video at least once a month. And I always have felt a Christine vibe from Saunders!!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The Red Rocks video was even worse.
I have the Red Rocks video and I don't think I've ever made it through the whole thing.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I distinctly remember not liking this version of Everywhere, since Stevie has what I feel is an obtrusive vocal line "I wanna be with you" in the refrain that's not in the studio or Dance versions. It just breaks the feel of the song, in my opinion. I like her additions to Isn't It Midnight much more.
Funny. I do like it because of Stevie addition (kind of a different touch). Well, not only that. I do like how Christine sing it. I find more feeling in her voice than in The Dance version.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Funny. I do like it because of Stevie addition (kind of a different touch). Well, not only that. I do like how Christine sing it. I find more feeling in her voice than in The Dance version.
Christine is definitely carrying this concert. I liked her on Everywhere, it was just Stevie I had the problem with and unfortunately that impacted my view of how the song sounded for the Tango concert. I love Isn't It Midnight and Little Lies, especially since those are the only live performances recorded of those songs (though there are a few recordings from this tour and 1990 uploaded to YouTube). In my opinion those songs sound very good! It's just funny how you're watching Isn't It Midnight and Stevie's face covers the entire screen for her one line, while it's clearly a Christine song and she has just a few shots in the entire song. Quite hilarious to see people calling these days the Stevie = megalomaniac days. I don't think she's ever burned down a whole city like Nero, but I can see how the word fits.

Two other things: Red Rocks is an awful recording. I couldn't make it past the first few songs (though it's obviously a beautiful location). Also, Michelle, your gong comparison was exactly what I had in mind.

Edit: I loved the FM spoof. Mick in the background looking crazy, John sleeping, the Dawn French version of a FM song...great parody!

Last edited by bethelblues; 07-03-2013 at 01:46 AM..
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought the god awful use of filmed close-ups made the video appear one dimensional and constrained. It's like after the Red Rocks video they took the close up idea went way overboard. It's a horrible production. I do like Stevie's vocals on Seven Wonders though.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny you should mention liking Stevie's vocals. I really liked the sound of the "enhanced" vocal version of Dreams and downloaded it for my iPod, since it sounded so totally different from other versions, like the "Women they will come and they will.........................(cue close-up look) go" toward the end.