Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

I didn't hear one 'I love you, Stevie' last night.

I got one good shout-out to John McVie though - looked like he was going to take the mic for a second...

Might be standard op though - I don't know, I haven't watched any videos from this tour yet, although I'm going to be gorging later.

Last edited by Nathan; 07-01-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I didn't hear one 'I love you, Stevie' last night.

Well, good to know that they weren't interrupting Say Goodbye with comments like that, then. Michele
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, good to know that they weren't interrupting Say Goodbye with comments like that, then. Michele
Good call, Michelle - we actually left right as Say Goodbye was starting. It almost definitely happened.

Still in awe! Still on a high. What a damn SHOW! God, I'd love to see the final night of it.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Over 8 minutes!

Wow! WY intro @ 8:34 !!

http://http://youtube/2G1CVj1hNmk
Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"I'm having a senior moment."

I don't know why I find her so funny but I do.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
"I'm having a senior moment."

I don't know why I find her so funny but I do.
That was great.

I also liked her comment about the "hippy girlfriend."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

It was SO long - I had no idea what was going on.

Working link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G1CVj1hNmk

Last edited by Nathan; 07-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Link
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

I don't usually get to see John's face in these videos, but it was funny when Stevie asked him if he did say "just take the girl" and he shakes his head "no."

I know Lindsey is being humorous, but I'm not sure why he thinks it's helpful to slooooow down the story when she hands it off to him.

And now the casette has been lost THREE times. Been down (under the couch) one time, been down two times, been down three times. Never going back again.

Funny that she said Lindsey argues with her, almost gets mad, when she says it was such a romantic time back then.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 07-02-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't usually get to see John's face in these videos, but it was funny when Stevie asked him if he did say "just take the girl" and he shakes his head "no."

I know Lindsey is being humorous, but I'm not sure why he thinks it's helpful to slooooow down the story when she hands it off to him.

And now the casette has been lost THREE times. Been down (under the couch) one time, been down two times, been down three times. Never going back again.

Funny that she said Lindsey argues with her, almost gets mad, when she says it was such a romantic time back then.

Michele
So, Lindsey goes to the mic all lost and disengaged EVERY night when she hands it off to him??!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, Lindsey goes to the mic all lost and disengaged EVERY night when she hands it off to him??!

Sorry to say it, but yes. He thinks befuddled looks good on him.

Michele
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes. He didn't originally - at first he actually just interrupted her story.. but now that she's handing it over to him, he's feigning that he's taken off guard by it.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Yes. He didn't originally - at first he actually just interrupted her story.. but now that she's handing it over to him, he's feigning that he's taken off guard by it.
He probably thinks it seems more natural that way. These people . . .

It seems to me like the whole world watched The Dance, yet on tour they still did the "isn't that weird" schtick like they were surprising us with it.

Michele
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i think at first he'd interrupt the story.

then she started expected him to interrupt and would hand it to him.

then the story became longer before his turn so he'd get engrossed in talking to the audience members in front of him by the time his turn would come around - one time he was trying to rescue some girl from security, another time he was being asked to hand over some picks and got into a pick discussion, and yet another time he was discussing Rock Away Blind request added to his FM show setlist by a demanding fan.

after several of these occurrences she must have given him some ribbing about not listening to her story, so a couple of shows you could see him actually listening to what she was saying and just pretending to be confused by the time it was his turn.

so... some of the times he'd just be deep in conversations with various audience members by the time she'd hand him off the mic. other times he wouldn't but i guess all these times when he was befuddled got such interesting reactions that he decided to act that way in any case.

you learn these things when you record Lindsey's actions during WY intro. i'm hoping someone will be there during the remaining 3 shows who will actually do it, instead of keeping camera on Stevie even when Lindsey's talking.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Portland Mercury, July 1, 2013
http://endhits.portlandmercury.com/e...en-sun-june-30

Fleetwood Mac at the Rose Garden, Sun June 30

Posted by Ned Lannamann on Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Last night, four members of the Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac played the Rose Garden, offering their biggest hits and some (relative) obscurities as well. It was a great show that didn't ever feel like a routine retread through past glories—the band was fired up and totally engaged for over two and a half hours. They opened with perhaps the greatest one-two-three punch a band could ever pull off: "Second Hand News," "The Chain," and "Dreams," wasting no time whatsoever in getting to the hits.

Lindsey Buckingham held down stage left, almost overly eager to prove his guitar ability. He shredded all night long, with highlights in his now-mandatory solo rendition of "Big Love," and the lengthy face-melting solo during "I'm So Afraid." He whooped and barked at the crowd, as animated as a man without have an eightball shoved up his nose could possibly be. (Oh, wait...) He played to the back row, as if he still had something to prove—when Buckingham's magnum opus Tusk met with some resistance in 1979, it must have put a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, which he still seems to be working out.

Stevie Nicks, meanwhile, was the soul of the show, departing the stage for the numbers that weren't hers but providing a great visual focal point while she was onstage. Dressed in her trademark black chiffon skirt and an array of shawls, she looked amazing and sounded excellent, even as she elected not to reach the high notes in "Dreams" or "Rhiannon."

Mick Fleetwood, meanwhile, was the madman behind the skins. His drumming style is unmistakable on record, but it's even more so with the added visual counterpoint. He performed a lengthy drum solo during "World Turning" with a headset mic on, yelling gibberish at the crowd as his four limbs went collectively nuts. I'd always thought that Animal from the Muppets was based on Keith Moon, but now I see that Jim Henson probably had Mick Fleetwood in mind. His counterpart and longtime partner-in-crime, John McVie, calmly held down the bass notes without flash or pizzazz—the eye of the hurricane, as they say. I've heard some people talk down Fleetwood and McVie's role in the band, saying that they're ultimately inessential, or that Fleetwood Mac is actually a series of bands without a common thread. This is flat-out wrong: Fleetwood and McVie are the absolute cornerstones of the band, from whatever era. There would not be a single iteration of Fleetwood Mac without these two, and to overlook their contributions in any serious discussion about the band's music is pretty inexcusable.

But enough about who's responsible for what: The four present and accounted-for members of Fleetwood Mac performed as an entirely united band, and one with a remarkable stylistic range at that. There were two new songs—"Sad Angel" and "Without You," both from their recent Extended Play EP—that fit in perfectly well with the older songs. "Without You" was preceded by a very lengthy preamble from Nicks, who told the story of how the song was recorded in the early '70s when she and Buckingham were still performing as Buckingham Nicks, and later was recovered from a stolen cassette and posted on YouTube. The way she told it, it became a very long story, but Nicks was pretty charming about the whole thing: "See, this is why you don't really want to know me," she joked mid-ramble, as 15,000 people ached to really know her.

It actually was a pretty chatty show, all in all. McVie didn't say a word, but the other three members all took their turns orating at length into the mic. Buckingham's first extended monologue came before a mini-set of Tusk songs early in the show (which included "Not That Funny," a bonkers "Tusk" with the USC Marching Band projected on the screen, "Sara," and "Sisters of the Moon"). It seems he still feels the sting that the record received upon its original release, and is gratified by its critical rehabilitation in recent years. He also talked about the way "Big Love" has shifted in meaning for him since he wrote it. Nicks, in addition to her long "Without You" story, also spoke to the crowd for a few minutes after the band had already finished its last song and left the stage. She called everyone in the audience the "dreamcatchers" for the band's dreams—ie, their songs. It was pretty charming and very Stevie. Fleetwood, not to be outdone, ran out when she was through and similarly spoke to the audience for a few minutes at the very end of the show. He said some incomprehensible stuff in a British accent, played with a red top hat, and also expressed genuine gratitude.

Indeed, the band, with the possible exception of poker-faced McVie (who was the coolest guy in the room last night), seemed altogether amazed and pleased to still be around. Whatever issues between the individual members are so deeply ingrained and sanded over that they now work as part of the permanent chemistry. Nicks and Buckingham made a point of holding hands during each one of their entries and exits—I think that is something they do at every show, but it's totally effective from a dramatic standpoint. "Landslide" seemed to be the crowd favorite, but I also thought "Eyes of the World" and a very long, jammy "Gold Dust Woman" were notable highlights as well.

Minus Christine McVie, which had its upsides and downsides—no "You Make Loving Fun," thank god, but also no "Hold Me"; we still got an encore rendition of "Don't Stop"—it was pretty much everything you'd want from a Fleetwood Mac show in 2013. I don't think anyone in the surprisingly mixed crowd (lots of young fans came out, too, some of whom were no doubt born after Tango in the Night came out) left the Rose Garden wanting. If it at times felt workmanlike, it also felt 100 percent sincere.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Portland Mercury, July 1, 2013
I've heard some people talk down Fleetwood and McVie's role in the band, saying that they're ultimately inessential, or that Fleetwood Mac is actually a series of bands without a common thread. This is flat-out wrong:
Come on. I think that first part is just a lie. WHERE has he heard people say that McVie and Fleetwood's role in the band is inessential?? I don't think people say this.

Michele
Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He probably thinks it seems more natural that way. These people . . .

It seems to me like the whole world watched The Dance, yet on tour they still did the "isn't that weird" schtick like they were surprising us with it.

Michele
I know, when they try too hard to recreate the spontaneous moments... ugh.

Just be natural every night!

Although, I guess they do need a jumping off place. Lindsey should just interrupt her instead of continuing to put his mouth up to the mic and thinking about it...I think she could work with it, dude.