The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find that often a good "leave me alone" or just monosyllabic answers often work with males of many ages, too.

Doc Marts don't work I go there every day of my life. My leather armour has to be washed over night because I don't go out without it. Once walking down the street in Manchester I had my usual attire of Dr Martens, Sex Pistols shirt, shredded jeans and leather jacket and still some old guy leered. I'm like COME ON DUDE! My friend Debbie, who I was with at the time, is much prettier than I am and he left her alone

Most recently, I was working in the record store and this THING came in drunk as a skunk talking to me about Generation X. The amount of times I said "I don't like Generation X" is innumerable yet he still badgered until I said "Lion, I turned 15 on Tuesday, you're putting yourself in a bad situation" and went upstairs to continue valuing the records. I hate it and yet it's just so prevelant and accepted where I live

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear what that guy did to you and frankly disgusted at those who did nothing to help you. I'm glad you got away

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
For Silver Springs, Georgie, and Dani -

Alas, it doesn't actually matter what you look like when you're out and about - some men will always think that just the fact that you've had the temerity to both leave the house AND be female gives them free reign to say/do whatever they want.

If someone is making you uncomfortable, that is not okay and you need to let them know it's not okay. I used to sort of just take it, but when I was about 16, a man literally physically dragged me out of my friend's car window while we were sitting in a parking lot in front of a store, and no one helped me - not even my friend. I got away from him and dealt him a good kick in the balls before I ran into the store, but that situation scared me so badly that I decided the next time ANYONE said or did anything I didn't like, I was going to let them know in no uncertain terms.

So when a guy is an ass to me, I'm now an ass back. And if I see a guy making another woman uncomfortable, but she's not sticking up for herself for whatever reason, you can bet your ass I'm right there telling the guy to f*ck off. More often than not, it works like a charm, and I think it's because many women don't do or say anything back to them when they behave like that.

Example: Saturday night, I am standing in line at the gas station by myself (Cute Guitar Boy stayed in the car to keep an eye on the kiddos), and some dude in front of me starts leering, and then informs me that he just got off work at the strip club. Where he's a stripper. "Which means naked," he says.

"How nice for you," I deadpan.

"You should come out some time, I'll give you a dance," he says.

"Oh man! Thanks for the invite! I have to go see the doctor tomorrow about this whole syphilis of the gums thing I've got going on, but if it clears up by next weekend, I will totally be there!" says me.

He stopped talking after that.

If the situation is more serious than something like that, though - then feel free to say, "NO," or "LEAVE ME ALONE," or "GET AWAY FROM ME," or "DO NOT TOUCH ME." And if the guy doesn't stop, then you make more noise. Use your best judgment, of course, but I find that a little intimidation or fighting back goes a long way. Most of these idiots aren't used to anyone saying anything back, so it often startles them into shutting up and going away.

And if someone grabs you like I got grabbed back in the day, then, if you can, you fight like hell and give him a reason to NEVER do something like that again.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate that crap.
I'm quoting this entire thing because it needs to be read again and again. I love you. And going further back, I love CGB. He's almost as much of a catch as you are. Well actually, he's most likely not Jesus so I rescind some of the strength of that statement. Dude srsly, I'm pumped for you.

So like I said in the Stevie forum, I just got back from Atlantic City yesterday, and OHMYGOD was it amazing. I swear to God, Nicks is better than she's been since 2001. Plus I was surrounded by amazing people, staying in a hotel that was literally overrun with chiffon, AND I saw Forest Gump for the first time. It was perfect

From left to right---

My best friend Gina (a casual Stevie fan I bribed into coming with the fact that AC is on the beach), Me, Arlene (Steviefan49), Sara (looking amazing and posting as ILOVEFM), and Erica (obsessedbutnotcoolenoughtostoplurking.)

Sidenote: Lori walked by as we were taking this We had a mini little conversation with her. I'm still Team Sharon, but that woman is adorable.
You're so like me
Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I share my birthday with Bob Welch. BOB WELCH GAISE THIS HAS MADE MY ENTIRE LIFE COMPLETE!!!!!!1!

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool! Mine aren't very notable birthday buddies but I do have Jerry Lee Lewis, Greer Garson, Gene Autry, Silvio Berlusconi and Stanley Kramer on my side.

Though I do share Stevie's first name so that's great
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I find that often a good "leave me alone" or just monosyllabic answers often work with males of many ages, too.

Doc Marts don't work I go there every day of my life. My leather armour has to be washed over night because I don't go out without it. Once walking down the street in Manchester I had my usual attire of Dr Martens, Sex Pistols shirt, shredded jeans and leather jacket and still some old guy leered. I'm like COME ON DUDE! My friend Debbie, who I was with at the time, is much prettier than I am and he left her alone

Most recently, I was working in the record store and this THING came in drunk as a skunk talking to me about Generation X. The amount of times I said "I don't like Generation X" is innumerable yet he still badgered until I said "Lion, I turned 15 on Tuesday, you're putting yourself in a bad situation" and went upstairs to continue valuing the records. I hate it and yet it's just so prevelant and accepted where I live

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear what that guy did to you and frankly disgusted at those who did nothing to help you. I'm glad you got away
Haha, your store story reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me. When I was 14, I was working under the table at a local amusement park (Conneaut Lake, for Marissa, since she'll know of which I speak), running the kiddie train ride, and this dude kept asking me to come down to the bar with him on my break for a drink. I finally said, "I'm 14." You never saw someone backpedal so fast, it was hilarious.

But yeah - I was disgusted, too. Not so much at my friend, though I would (and HAD) saved her from bad situations repeatedly over the years, because she is quite small and timid and prone to going tharn like a bunny in headlights, but there were other people around, and I was screaming like a banshee. And it was in broad daylight. Some people are INSANE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
I'm quoting this entire thing because it needs to be read again and again. I love you. And going further back, I love CGB. He's almost as much of a catch as you are. Well actually, he's most likely not Jesus so I rescind some of the strength of that statement. Dude srsly, I'm pumped for you.

So like I said in the Stevie forum, I just got back from Atlantic City yesterday, and OHMYGOD was it amazing. I swear to God, Nicks is better than she's been since 2001. Plus I was surrounded by amazing people, staying in a hotel that was literally overrun with chiffon, AND I saw Forest Gump for the first time. It was perfect

From left to right---

My best friend Gina (a casual Stevie fan I bribed into coming with the fact that AC is on the beach), Me, Arlene (Steviefan49), Sara (looking amazing and posting as ILOVEFM), and Erica (obsessedbutnotcoolenoughtostoplurking.)

Sidenote: Lori walked by as we were taking this We had a mini little conversation with her. I'm still Team Sharon, but that woman is adorable.
I love you, too. And I also want to say that I'm not condemning anyone that doesn't "fight back" for whatever reason - if someone is harassing you, that's his fault, not yours, regardless of your reaction or what you feel you can or can't do about the situation. ALWAYS his fault. Don't care what you're wearing, what you look like, where you're walking, where you work, how old you are, where you're standing, if you previously didn't mind the attention until he said something out of line, whatever.

But I do always try to advocate for women, especially young ones, to stand up and say something if and when they feel they can, because as Georgie commented about it being so acceptable and prevalent in her area - it will only continue to be that way if we can't somehow teach these asshats otherwise.

And re: CGB, fanks! I will tell him the Jesus comment, for it will amuse him greatly.

Also still so jealous about the Stevie shows. And you all looked fabulous - how tall are you, woman?

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
(Conneaut Lake, for Marissa, since she'll know of which I speak), running the kiddie train ride

No. You did not. My dad's side of the family has literally > 5 cottages on the lake. We used to go every single summer. I pretty much guarantee my 8 year old ass was on that train.

You don't understand how much this just made my night.

Oh my god I love Conneaut.

Calming down.

Quote:

Also still so jealous about the Stevie shows. And you all looked fabulous - how tall are you, woman?
We had SO much fun. You have no idea. I'm 5'7 and a half, but I'm incredible bitter that I never made it to the 5'10 the doctor's projected (dad's 6'4, mom is 5'9.) I make up for it with high heels to match my little dresses haha.

More examples of the fun!

I miss it!
You're so like me
Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are you really 5'7" Marissa? You feel shorter to me, but I do admit you look really tall in that picture.... I'm 5'10" and yet continue to wear 4-5inch heels when I go out.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

Quote:

No. You did not. My dad's side of the family has literally > 5 cottages on the lake. We used to go every single summer. I pretty much guarantee my 8 year old ass was on that train.

You don't understand how much this just made my night.

Oh my god I love Conneaut.

Calming down.
Haha. They started me out on the Duck Pond, which was hideous, but every new worker had to start there, apparently. After that, I went between the kiddie train up front, the arcade part with the Skee-Ball (this is why I am Skee-Ball Champeen of the World - I spent so many hours playing that summer), and the one game where you shoot water into the tube to ring the bell or whatever. That one was also hideous, because people think shooting the attendant with the water gun is funny.

It is not funny. Ever.

But yeah, I love Conneaut, too. Last time I was up there was for Thunder on the Lake last summer.

I miss Pennsylvania so bad.

Quote:
We had SO much fun. You have no idea. I'm 5'7 and a half, but I'm incredible bitter that I never made it to the 5'10 the doctor's projected (dad's 6'4, mom is 5'9.) I make up for it with high heels to match my little dresses haha.

More examples of the fun!

I miss it!
Love the pics! And ahhh @ 5'7". I'm 5'8" now - used to be almost 5'10" but time, children, and illness have shrunk me. I still wear heels like nobody's business, though, even if they make me tower over pretty much everyone around me.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Are you really 5'7" Marissa? You feel shorter to me, but I do admit you look really tall in that picture.... I'm 5'10" and yet continue to wear 4-5inch heels when I go out.
Indeed. And it's 5'7 and a half. I just never wore heels around you and you were always in them

Zombs-

People actually spray water on the attendant? Are you serious? That never even occurred to me, one because I'm not a tool, but two because that game is my life. I'm so serious about it, you have no idea. I take it as a personal sign of weakness if I don't leave the park with the biggest prize.

I always imagined you as 5'1! That's mainly because my friend Gina (pictured above!) is 5'1 and you remind me of her, so I'm going to have to seriously adjust my mental image.
You're so like me
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Marissa if I ever met you I'd be a shrimp next to you HAHAH I'm only 5'2''!

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Caitlin- Can we please change the fact that we haven't met? We.go.to.the.same.mall.
You're so like me
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Caitlin- Can we please change the fact that we haven't met? We.go.to.the.same.mall.
YES PLEASE!! Well I dont go to Natick ALL the time since its an hour away. I do have a mall in my own town but its lame LOL I'll pretty much be free on weekends for mall time. Since my new school Schedule is like Mon-Fri 9-3:30!!!

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post
Marissa if I ever met you I'd be a shrimp next to you HAHAH I'm only 5'2''!
At least people who are as little as us are the last ones to know when it rains :P
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
At least people who are as little as us are the last ones to know when it rains :P
HAHAH yes. So the tall people can let us know its raining =P

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Indeed. And it's 5'7 and a half. I just never wore heels around you and you were always in them

Zombs-

People actually spray water on the attendant? Are you serious? That never even occurred to me, one because I'm not a tool, but two because that game is my life. I'm so serious about it, you have no idea. I take it as a personal sign of weakness if I don't leave the park with the biggest prize.

I always imagined you as 5'1! That's mainly because my friend Gina (pictured above!) is 5'1 and you remind me of her, so I'm going to have to seriously adjust my mental image.
Yeah, people do that. Not just dumb kids, either, but adults, too. They think it's a laugh riot. I always wondered if they would still think it was a laugh riot if I vaulted over the counter and crammed the gun down their throats while it was still spraying.

But vaulting over the counter would have been a bad idea, because all the wood in that bank of booths was so rotten, I wouldn't trust it to support me. The floor behind those counters was NASTY, too, and the back rooms were even worse.

But yeah, I'm pretty tall for a chick. Always have been.