Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Greeny on Toe Fat's "Indian Summer"

Just bought a cd compilation of Toe Fat's first and second albums.
Peter guested on the second one, as he was friends with singer Cliff Bennett (of the Rebel Rousers).
Most discographies lists Green as playing on "There'll Be Changes" and "A New Way".
Listening to the full album I'm pretty sure Green is also on the brief instrumental "Indain Summer". It really sounds like it.
Has anyone else heard this track? Unfortunately it's not on YT, please pm me for a listen if there's interest.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have found the song here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/son...+Indian+Summer

I assume that you believe it is Green playing lead guitar, (although I believe that a case could be made for the rhythm guitar on the track also) and I understand why – melodically, it does sound a lot like Green from that time period, but I just don’t think it is Green –
Yes, he used the wah-wah on the other numbers, but it didn’t sound quite like that –
I think that Alan Kendall was “channeling” Green on the track –
I could be wrong – I’m very interested in hearing what others might have to say after hearing it

Slightly off-topic: according to what I have read, the liner notes to the collection, Toe Fat I & II (Beat Goes On 2004) list Green as only having played on ‘There’ll Be Changes’ and not on ‘A New Day’ – could you confirm or correct that?
Thanks

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I have found the song here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/son...+Indian+Summer

I assume that you believe it is Green playing lead guitar, (although I believe that a case could be made for the rhythm guitar on the track also) and I understand why – melodically, it does sound a lot like Green from that time period, but I just don’t think it is Green –
Yes, he used the wah-wah on the other numbers, but it didn’t sound quite like that –
I think that Alan Kendall was “channeling” Green on the track –
I could be wrong – I’m very interested in hearing what others might have to say after hearing it

Slightly off-topic: according to what I have read, the liner notes to the collection, Toe Fat I & II (Beat Goes On 2004) list Green as only having played on ‘There’ll Be Changes’ and not on ‘A New Day’ – could you confirm or correct that?
Thanks
Yeah, on second listen I'm not sure either.
The credits does not list Green at all; he just mentioned in passing in the liner notes as playing on ‘There’ll Be Changes’ only, yes.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was listening to "Indian Summer" a few years ago, trying to figure out if it was Peter playing. Indeed it's a wah-wah lead guitar. But I ended up believeing it was not him. The style/phrasing ...or taste... or whatever(!) is not sounding much like Peter. I gave it a new listen yesterday, but my mind hasn't changed.

The guitar playing on "There'll Be Changes" and "A New Way" definitely sound similar. Even though uncredited, I'm very sure that Peter is playing on the latter too.

His soloing on "There'll Be Changes" is awsome. I've nothing against harmonica solos, but I really think it's a shame that Peter wasn't given more room on this one.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Dansven for the confirmation -

Funny that they don't mention 'A New Way' - to my ears Green's playing is most easily identified on that track - it is his signature sound circa 1970

Alan Kendall's work in the beginning, both on acoustic and electric is actually quite nice (at the end, not so much)

Listening to his work with Toe Fat, one would not necessarily expect that his next gig would be with the Bee Gees!

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I don't know if it's a confirmation really.. just my humble opinion. Didn't know about the BeeGees, haha.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nah, I agree it's not Greeny on this track. He is for sure on the other two.
What threw me was the use of wah wah, but Kendall uses it on some other tracks too.
The phrasing is wrong, too choppy while Greeny has some amazing flowing lines where he plays.
Interesting album nevertheless, kind of early hard rock.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
... 'A New Way' - to my ears Green's playing is most easily identified on that track - it is his signature sound circa 1970
Alan Kendall's work in the beginning, both on acoustic and electric is actually quite nice (at the end, not so much)
Are you saying that the mellow electric wah-wah guitar in the first part of A New Way is not by Peter, but by Alan Kendall?
It sounds like Peter to me...

While on Indian Summer I can´t hear any Peter.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The “mellow electric wah-wah guitar” does in fact sound a lot like Green, but I don’t believe that it is him playing. I think Green came in and laid down his parts over the existing tracks.
Green’s contributions (seemingly small as they might be) nevertheless elevate the song to a whole other level

E. Vedder
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
The “mellow electric wah-wah guitar” does in fact sound a lot like Green, but I don’t believe that it is him playing. I think Green came in and laid down his parts over the existing tracks.
Green’s contributions (seemingly small as they might be) nevertheless elevate the song to a whole other level
So, is there consensus that it´s not Peter on the first part of A New Way, or...?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
So, is there consensus that it´s not Peter on the first part of A New Way, or...?
I don't think there was any doubt that's not Peter. It's the Indian Summer thing I brought up which is obviously the other guitarist.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I don't think there was any doubt that's not Peter. It's the Indian Summer thing I brought up which is obviously the other guitarist.
I'd like Mario's thoughts on A New Way as when I transferred the info from the old to new discography page format here it was his notes on the old page that I pasted over which I believe listed PG as being on There'll Be Changes and A New Way. So if he agrees Peter isn't on that, I'll change the new page to reflect so (i.e. PG as just being on There'll be Changes), otherwise...

John
Old 09-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I'd like Mario's thoughts on A New Way as when I transferred the info from the old to new discography page format here it was his notes on the old page that I pasted over which I believe listed PG as being on There'll Be Changes and A New Way. So if he agrees Peter isn't on that, I'll change the new page to reflect so (i.e. PG as just being on There'll be Changes), otherwise...

John
I have listened again to it and my humble opinion is that there's no Peter on Indian Summer......

Mario.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I have listened again to it and my humble opinion is that there's no Peter on Indian Summer......

Mario.
Thanks but it seems to be A New Way that is in question here. Please let me know your thoughts on A New Way and I'll either process or leave as is accordingly.

John
Old 09-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Thanks but it seems to be A New Way that is in question here. Please let me know your thoughts on A New Way and I'll either process or leave as is accordingly.

John
A New Way: of course has Peter playing.......wonderful wah-wah guitar as he used to play at that time (summer 1970),

On the first part of the song Peter's playing sounds very similar to some part of "The End Of The Game"....

Mario.