The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Default American Horror Story: Freakshow

I KNOW there must be some fans of the show here, I thought Stevie's participation on last year's Coven installment would have affected a lot of FM fans, I want to know how many are on this forum.
I'm curious about what others think about Freakshow, was it better than Coven (YES), what do you like about this year, what could have been better after much anticipation, what are your hopes and desires for the show, what's your favourite season, etc.

I think that Freakshow is AMAZING and an improvement compared to Coven, because even if Coven had an awesome start and amazing ideas it has never been fully developed.
Also because of the last year delusion, I lived the waiting of Freakshow with much anticipation and it's living well to its expectation.
I really like the idea of the freakshow and the theme of the social definition of normal/abnormal.
As always, I LOVE Jessica Lange and I already miss her, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the character of Twisty.
The only thing that bugs me is that amazing actresses Frances Conroy, Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates with their respective roles haven't been commended like they should so far, but I think that they will be in the near future.
I can't wait for the entry of the character of Gabourey Sidibe along with the participation of Matt Boomer, Neil Patrick Harris and Lily Rabe.
I hope that Pepper's coming back and the explanation of her story will be well played, and I hope that we will know something more about Sister Mary Eunice as well in the episode in which Lily Rabe will come back; I also hope that we will know more about Dandy and the origins of his sociopathic behaviour.

My favourite seasons in order are:
1) Murder House
2) Freakshow (for now)
3) Asylum
4) Coven

and last:
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't had an opportunity to watch any of "Freakshow" just yet...but I am greatly looking forward to it!

"Murder House" is still the best. "Coven" is a close second for me. There was just too much going on with "Asylum" (aliens, possession, zombie mutants, etc) and it was a bit too overwhelmingly ridiculous, IMHO.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I haven't had an opportunity to watch any of "Freakshow" just yet...but I am greatly looking forward to it!

"Murder House" is still the best. "Coven" is a close second for me. There was just too much going on with "Asylum" (aliens, possession, zombie mutants, etc) and it was a bit too overwhelmingly ridiculous, IMHO.
I think that "Murder House" is the best too, it's the only one that touched me and moved me, it talked about fears that everyone has felt at least once in his/her life; and the role of Tate was the best Evan Peters had in the series, I can't stand when he does those strange american-patriotic roles.
Asylum is generally considered the best among fans and critics but I agree with you, there were too much sub-plots and plot twist for my taste and I think that aliens deserve a season of their own. I really loved Bloodyface though, I think that it's been the scariest villain since Twisty the clown.

Coven had beautiful storylines but it bit off more than it could chew, and it left me a bit disappointed

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 11-03-2014 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Coven had beautiful storylines but it bit off more than it could chew, and it left me a bit disappointed
I thoroughly enjoyed "Coven". I love anything involving the folklore of witchcraft. However there was that element of "cheesiness" involved. Ironically, I thought Stevie's "wandering through the house lip syncing Seven Wonders was utterly asinine! That was really the only "over the top" moment for me. It didn't belong. It was actually a tad embarrassing. I loved her first appearance, though.

And I must say that Lily Rabe is an EXCELLENT actress and I've enjoyed her in every season thus far. I hope her career takes her to great heights like her mom. The gal can do no wrong!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed "Coven". I love anything involving the folklore of witchcraft. However there was that element of "cheesiness" involved. Ironically, I thought Stevie's "wandering through the house lip syncing Seven Wonders was utterly asinine! That was really the only "over the top" moment for me. It didn't belong. It was actually a tad embarrassing. I loved her first appearance, though.

And I must say that Lily Rabe is an EXCELLENT actress and I've enjoyed her in every season thus far. I hope her career takes her to great heights like her mom. The gal can do no wrong!
I love witchcraft too, that's why I was a bit disappointed. In all the 13 episodes we've never seen an actual lesson and they were supposed to be in a witch school.
Stevie lip-synching "Seven wonders" wasn't so good, I think it would have sound better if she'd have sung it casually to herself roaming through the house, but it was fun.
I love Lily Rabe too, I fell in love with the Character of Nora because of the way she can light up the screen even when supposed to be fickle. I hope she will be back for the fifth season.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Freakshow is so good. Truly a horror story!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a love-hate relationship with AHS. It pisses me off sooooo bad but I continue to watch Murder House was my favorite season. I hated Asylum. Coven had so much potential but it just fizzled out in the end. Freak Show is pretty good so far, although my favorite character is already gone
Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 AM

No, Twisty is dead but his character isn't gone yet: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/31/ry...ory-connected/

Twisty’s death was a surprise. Was this always planned, to kill him so early?

Yes. But Twisty is not over, and neither is Edward Mordrake. They both make triumphant returns. I was shocked to read so many of these “RIP Twisty” websites and blogs have sprung up. People love Twisty. I think that’s due to the power of John as an actor. I think he’s just so mesmerizing and sympathetic. We talked a lot about that. He didn’t just want to be a killer clown. He wanted an ideology and a backstory, and I think that clown’s backstory is so fascinating and bizarre. We’re talking on Halloween day and I’ve already seen three Twistys, so he apparently hit a nerve. I love him. I loved his performance. He will return.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 11-04-2014 at 04:55 AM..
Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So love AHS its one of my most favorite shows these days. I am enjoying this season so far but I have to say Asylum was my favorite. I really liked how dark and gruesome it was and I think Jessica Lange, Lily Rabe & Sarah Paulson were at their best in it.
I would rate them as follows:
1. - Asylum
2 - Coven
3 - Murder House
4 - Freakshow - it could move up by the end of the season.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

This pretty much sums up anything I could say. I haven't seen Freakshow yet because I don't have cable, but I am cautiously looking forward to it. I'm not excited about the premise this season- I think any time a show has to pull out the circus card they are showing their dearth of material- but I still have hopes I will enjoy this season regardless.

Murder House will probably always be my favorite. It unfolded beautifully, and kept you guessing until the end. Classic, classic horror.

I don't care what anyone thinks- I adored Coven, too. So what if it was a bit hokey? It combined several of my favorite things into one cinematically gorgeous package: witches, New Orleans, voodoo, Stevie Nicks, Kathy Bates, and Jessica Lange. And to be honest, I enjoyed the lighter mood compared to the endless drear of Asylum.

Speaking of Asylum, I thought it was unwatchable. I tried really hard, but could only force myself to get about halfway through the season. It was all shock & awe gore. Too many themes hyperactively bouncing off each other- Aliens! Zombies! Mass murderers! Nazis! Sexual sadists! Religion & healthcare gone bad! Possession! It was all just too much.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This pretty much sums up anything I could say. I haven't seen Freakshow yet because I don't have cable, but I am cautiously looking forward to it. I'm not excited about the premise this season- I think any time a show has to pull out the circus card they are showing their dearth of material- but I still have hopes I will enjoy this season regardless.

A freakshow isn't a circus, they often travel together but circus performers are usually normal people with special abilities like a strongman, a sword swallower, a fire-eater, a contorsionist etc. that use it to entertain people, while freaks are usually people with physical malformations or illnesses like dwarves, siamese twins, hermaphrodites, severely obese people etc. and their deformities is the main entertainment.

I know Ryan Murphy got inspiration from "Freaks" by Tod Browning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freaks

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 11-04-2014 at 03:44 PM..
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't tuned in since Stevie was on the show.I got to catch this season online.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Registered

I LOVE Twisty!!!!

I just saw this http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...ty-will-return

Last edited by olive; 11-05-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Yes, If you want the link of the full original interview I've posted it. I'm very excited as well! VERY EXCITED...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Default Spoiler Alert!

Did anyone see the last episode? What did you think?

I'm very interested in the direction that the show has been put in this last episode, "Pink cupcakes"It wasn't an intense and beautiful episode like "Edward Mordrake part 2" but it developed a bit more the storylines of ALL the characters at once.

. We finally saw more of Desiree/Angela Bassett, and I liked it, especially the scene with Ethel/Cathy Bates; it seems like there is true girl-power alliance between them, but I wonder how much it will last until it sparks some rivalry. We also got to know more of Dell/Michael Chicklis, and I'm very interested to know this character that's much complex than he seems. Does he deceive people he get attached to or is he simply not capable of having genuine feelings and why?

I also find interesting Stanley/Denis o'Hare. I want to know more about his hidden homosexuality, I think he will prove to be a much more complicated man. Also he has a 13-inch penis so it will be funny.

I liked those first few seconds when is shown the character of Gabourey Sidibe, she seemed such a "normal" and level headed girl, much in contrast whit every other character in the show.

More stagnant was Maggie/Emma Roberts and the clashing between her increasingly affection for Jimmy/Evan Peters and her money-agreement made with fellow con-artist Stanley/Denis o'Hare, but it served well to the first scene in which I truly liked Jimmy. I found very incisive when he feels rejected from the girl he truly wants, the "Normal" Maggie and he throws himself to find consolation in Desiree/Angela Bassett, a beautiful but miserable monster like him.

I loved Jessica during the same rendition of "Life on mars" from the first episode, but this time without the glamour and the sparkling, just decadence and disillusion. Inevitable the rise of the rivalry with the twins, can't wait to see what happens with them and Finn Wittrock/Dandy Mott.

Speaking of which, I LOVED Finn Wittrock: “This body is America: strong, violent, and full of limitless potential.
I truly think that the character of Dandy is inspired by Christian Bale in "American psycho"

Patrick Bateman:

Dandy Mott: