Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default MF: Stevie Jokes about Not Getting Grammy

The West Australian, 12-24-09
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ent...-side-project/

When he is not touring with Fleetwood Mac, drummer Mick Fleetwood likes to spend his time with the reds and the blues.

The reds are the wines he has blended with California's Langtry Estate and Vineyard for the past eight years, and the blues are of the 12-bar variety found on the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band's latest album Blue Again.

A Grammy-nominated return to his roots, the album draws on the British blues sound of the original Fleetwood Mac, formed in the late 60s by Fleetwood and gun guitarist Peter Green. Bassist John McVie soon joined to add the "Mac" part of their moniker.

Chatting during the Mac's recent Australian tour, the English-born musician says his Mick Fleetwood Private Cellar range has overcome the usual snobbishness directed towards celebrity labels and is making serious inroads into the US market.

"I love it. It's hard work and it's been a lot of fun," Fleetwood, 62, says from the Hyatt Hotel. "I'm not a big technician, like my playing, but I come from the heart and fortunately we're getting really well written up."

While there was little time for the giant drummer to sample some local wines during the Fleetwood Mac tour, he hopes to do some serious "research" when he returns for some east coast shows with the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band in February.

Fleetwood's fifth "solo" release since 1981, Blue Again features guitarist/singer Rick Vito who toured with Fleetwood Mac from 1987-91 when Lindsey Buckingham left the band.

The blues side project is a chance for Fleetwood to reconnect with the traditional sound of the 60s British blues movement as well as the origins of his legendary pop outfit.

"I'm a blues player and that's certainly me and John (McVie) - we came out of that whole blues movement. It's just something I've always loved to do," Fleetwood says. "To focus on that has been a thrill and getting back to playing blues and really addressing some of the original Fleetwood Mac material is a joy."

The Hawaii-based musician and vintner enjoys changing gears between the precise stadium shows of Fleetwood Mac and the looser, smaller performances of the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band.

"When Fleetwood Mac get out and grind the big wheel and get it going, it's sort of hard to stop which is good because . . . there's plenty of bums on seats," he says. "I love to play (with the Mac) - every performance is a joy.

"But you're aware of a lot more pressure just by the fact you're representing a musical franchise. You've got to be on the spot at the right time."

Meanwhile, the blues band affords him a chance to jam and have some fun with 12-bar blues. "There's more freedom for an old fart like me to mess around," he laughs.

The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band started with loftier aspirations than winery tours and bar-room jams. When he and Vito planned the project two years ago, they wanted a reunion of the original Fleetwood Mac members at London's Royal Albert Hall. While he managed to convince former slide guitar player Jeremy Spencer, who left the band in 1971 to join a Christian cult, to perform, the event hinged on the presence of Green.

The guitar great has battled schizophrenia for most of his life and got the "heebie-jeebies" not long before the show, forcing Fleetwood to cancel the event. Green still has a strong presence on Blue Again. Half the songs on the album were penned by him, including Black Magic Woman, Albatross and Rattlesnake Shake.

While the blues band gigs are always fun, Fleetwood says that the Mac's current greatest hits tour - which stopped by Perth for two epic concerts this month - has been one of the most enjoyable in the legendary band's long history.

He says that without a new album to worry about, the two odd couples of the Mac - himself and McVie; Stevie Nicks and Buckingham - have somehow managed to tour without burning out.

A clear sign of a rare healthy passage for Fleetwood Mac came when Blue Again landed a Grammy nomination for best traditional blues album and Nicks was only beset by mock envy.

Fleetwood chuckles: "Stevie congratulated me and said, 'Well, I didn't get a Grammy nomination for my solo album'."

Blue Again is out now.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
"When Fleetwood Mac get out and grind the big wheel and get it going, it's sort of hard to stop which is good because . . . there's plenty of bums on seats," he says.
That humorous synecdoche is just about the nicest thing Mick Fleetwood has ever said about us fans!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood chuckles: "Stevie congratulated me and said, 'Well, I didn't get a Grammy nomination for my solo album'."
Can you really call a semi-live concert DVD a "solo album?"

Maybe this will be a positive motivator to get Stevie back into the studio.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Can you really call a semi-live concert DVD a "solo album?"

Wouldn't it have been great if Mick had said that to her in response? Michele
Old 12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That humorous synecdoche is just about the nicest thing Mick Fleetwood has ever said about us fans!
But does he mean bum as in buttocks or bum as in homeless person?

I need to know in order to feel flattered or insulted, accordingly.

Michele
Old 12-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wouldn't it have been great if Mick had said that to her in response? Michele
I think Mick's toilet chain balls would be wrapped around his throat. He'll hath no fury like a delusional aging rock and roll diva who's been dissed!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

For some reason Bette Midler thought Stevie had won all kinds of Grammys. That's why she and Kathy Griffin called Stevie to get advice on how to get Kathy nominated for an award.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Excellent question.

Mick meant bum as in buttocks. Look at the preposition he used: on

Had Mick meant full-body bum, he'd have used the in preposition.

So we can feel flattered (well, at least I hope I can, despite not having attended the show & sat my bum down in a seat).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Mick meant bum as in buttocks. Look at the preposition he used: on
Ha! Homeless people can be on seats as easily as they can be on streets!

Ya know, when Ponytail is talking about not being able to stop once he starts grinding the "big wheel," I'm not sure I want him that close to my bum!

Interesting to read about Jeremy having agreed to join the band for a concert 2 years ago, but them not being able to get Green on board. I don't think I've heard that before and I'm not sure that Mr. Spencer would agree with that description of events.

I also am intrigued by the comment that FM now consists of 2 odd couples: Mick and John, Lindsey and Stevie.

Michele
Old 12-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I think Mick's toilet chain balls would be wrapped around his throat. He'll hath no fury like a delusional aging rock and roll diva who's been dissed!
God bless our delusional, kooky, self-oriented old gal . I'd have her no other way though! If she were practical, pragmatic, and predictable she'd be boring as hell.

I've gotta say... seeing little teeny tiny Stevie trying to choke the towering Mick Fleetwood would be some funny ****! Reminds me of that news story recently where a chihuaha cornered a mountain lion in a garage!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Bella Donna did win her a Grammy or nomination back then?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
He definately meant buttocks

It's an English expression meaning getting a lot of people in to see whatever it is you're doing

Gail
Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=louielouie2000;861807]Can you really call a semi-live concert DVD a "solo album?"

Maybe this will be a positive motivator to get Stevie back into the studio. [/QUOTE

No, you can't...well, I wouldn't think so anyway!
Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

It's an English expression meaning getting a lot of people in to see whatever it is you're doing
One of Christine's favorite albums is the corrosive punk classic "Never Mind the Buttocks: Here Come the Sex Pistols."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Gail
Oh, I know that. People here say "butts in the seats," so it's a straight translation. Mick probably has a different word for street bum anyway. I was just playing around with David's synedoche because calling us all by one of our body parts (buttocks) is one, but calling an entire population of fans homeless bums would be another.

I do remember Mick teaching us and the band "punters."

Michele