User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Doctors: Ted Kennedy has brain tumor

(CNN) -- U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor, doctors treating him at Massachusetts General Hospital said Tuesday.

Sen. Edward Kennedy suffered a seizure Saturday in Hyannisport, Massachusetts.

Kennedy was hospitalized Saturday morning after suffering a seizure at his family's compound at Hyannisport, Massachusetts.

"Preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe," according to a statement from the doctors treating the senator.

"The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy," they said.

"Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis," the doctors continued.

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
(CNN) -- U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor, doctors treating him at Massachusetts General Hospital said Tuesday.

Sen. Edward Kennedy suffered a seizure Saturday in Hyannisport, Massachusetts.

Kennedy was hospitalized Saturday morning after suffering a seizure at his family's compound at Hyannisport, Massachusetts.

"Preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe," according to a statement from the doctors treating the senator.

"The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy," they said.

"Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis," the doctors continued.

"Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."
I'm not a fan of Ted Kennedy, but that is terrible news.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, as a matter of fact I just created a thread about this in Seven Wonders. Kind of sad to hear this.

Here's one of my favorite quotes by him:

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law?
Or is there one system for the average citizen
and another for the high and mighty?"
- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973 -
Old 05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That family is SOOOOOOOOOOO friggin cursed!!!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When the news came out, the standard response from other politicians was that they were wishing and praying for him. If he dies, what does that say about the power of prayer?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am saddened by this .Ted Kennedy was the first person I ever voted for in the Democratic Presidential primary the week of my 18th birthday in 1980.Unlike his brothers he has lived a long and full life and like them he will be greatly missed .I will think of him and his great legacy of fighting the good fight when I vote for the Presidential candidate that he endorsed come November.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Living in MA it's apparently been on the news all day. thats what my mom said.

Hes 76, I mean, you can't expect him to live forever.
I'm sure he's gonna get the best medical care possible.
Even though I guess you can only live up to like 5 years with the type of tumor he has...

Its upsetting though
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I am saddened by this .Ted Kennedy was the first person I ever voted for in the Democratic Presidential primary the week of my 18th birthday in 1980.Unlike his brothers he has lived a long and full life and like them he will be greatly missed .I will think of him and his great legacy of fighting the good fight when I vote for the Presidential candidate that he endorsed come November.
I am too.. These are pretty much my sentiments as well.. It's SOO sad.. as this poor family has had really crappy luck..

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is sad news. I think Sen. Kennedy has achieved wonderous things and I laud him for that and wish him bon chance with the tumor.

I cannot, however, ever think of him and not simultaneously think about how in 1969, the diver stated that he found Mary Jo Kopechne's body pressed up in the car in the spot where an air bubble would have formed, which he interpreted to mean that Kopechne had survived for a while after the initial accident in the air bubble.

He also stated:

" Had I received a call within five to ten minutes of the accident occurring, and was able, as I was the following morning, to be at the victim's side within twenty-five minutes of receiving the call, in such event there is a strong possibility that she would have been alive on removal from the submerged car."

Sen. Kennedy did not report the crime until the next morning. That whole thing is just horrifying to me. Here's a cite for those interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
That family is SOOOOOOOOOOO friggin cursed!!!!!!
not this time...
I mean, So sad to read about it. I don't want anybody to have cancer but, lot of people suffered and died of cancer, including my 2 grandmas. I really hope he get better but, at 76.. maybe it's better not to do any surgery or chimio.
Anyway, I don't see it as part of the curse of the Kennedys. He is not dying killed by someone, by plane crash or any accident. This may happen to anybody
Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find this terribly sad, though not necessarily part of any family curse. As a Mass. Democrat and someone who lives/works not far from the Cape, the Kennedys have been such a part of my life forever (my grandmother even attended several of JFK's famous "ladies teas" back during his Prez campaign). Though the diagnosis is grim, you never know. I don't want to start talking about him in the past tense but I'll just say he's a great man who, despite being born into immense wealth and power, has really worked his entire life to help those less fortunate. It says alot for him that his children are also carrying the torch of justice and equality and compassion. He wa also very supportive and sympathetic to his ex wife, Joan, and her various battles with alcoholism and mental illness. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Despite past mistakes, I think he lived a fairly decent life for a politician.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnightshade View Post
. . . Despite past mistakes, I think he lived a fairly decent life for a politician.
Me too. I also think he was the most decent of the Kennedy clan. Actually, I find the family fascinating.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read he may resign/retire so MA can hold a special election. The state did away with a governor appointment it said.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
Hes 76, I mean, you can't expect him to live forever.
I'm sure he's gonna get the best medical care possible.
Even though I guess you can only live up to like 5 years with the type of tumor he has...

Exactly. I mean, I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, but the guy's had a good long life, a successful career, close-knit family. I guess it's just his time.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is sad news, but I wouldn't consider it part of the Kennedy curse either. In Kennedy years, he's practically 300 years old.