User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm suprised we have a Boxscore report on these shows this soon.
When it comes to that doof Andrew McManus (who has a hard-on for FM/Stevie like you wouldn't believe), I would have been surprised if we hadn't hear about the Australia shows that soon.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'm shocked at how well the overseas shows have sold! With those markets largely being ignored by the band for decades, and their never charting well outside the US, I thought they'd kinda flop. Instead they seem to be selling better outside the US than they are here!
See, I thought the opposite. I thought they'd sell like crazy simply because they'd been away so long.

I still think they should go to Japan too. Surely the people who flocked to see them 30 years ago would return today -- with their children and grandchildren and, economically, they might have more to spend than we do.

Michele
Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
See, I thought the opposite. I thought they'd sell like crazy simply because they'd been away so long.

I still think they should go to Japan too. Surely the people who flocked to see them 30 years ago would return today -- with their children and grandchildren and, economically, they might have more to spend than we do.

Michele
From what I can recall from the 1980 Live album sleeves, it looks like they were playing really small theatres there even on the Tusk tour. Accordingly, I suspect FM is more of a cult presence in Japan than a mainstream arena rock act. Plus they have done essentially zilch to keep the FM brand afloat in Japan since 1990. I am sure they floated the idea out to Japanese promoters, but probably none of them were bold enough to match their nightly guarantees...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I am sure they floated the idea out to Japanese promoters, but probably none of them were bold enough to match their nightly guarantees...
You're probably right. I don't guess they would simply just overlook such a large market. Michele
Old 01-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac, The Verses Brisbane Entertainment Centre
Brisbane, Australia
Dec. 15-16, 2009
$3,082,830
20,535 /
2 /
$177.72, $113.92
Andrew McManus Presents
Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Fleetwood Mac, The Verses Brisbane Entertainment Centre
Brisbane, Australia
Dec. 15-16, 2009
$3,082,830
20,535 /
2 /
$177.72, $113.92
Andrew McManus Presents
Wow! Great success! They played two shows at this same venue in '04, yet these dates still did awesome. Could FM be more popular in Australia than the US?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My view is that, in comparison to the States, we really only get drip-fed 'big' international performers. It's certainly not uncommon for many acts to embark on so-called 'world tours' that miss us out altogether, even when their popularity would suggest that they would do well to come here. My own perspective on attending these concerts is therefore to get in while I can because who knows when the artist might rock up on our shores again, if ever. And I think that holds even when you've seen an act before; I've spoken to a number of people, both at the FM concerts and acquaintances from elsewhere, who also attended one of the SYW concerts in 2004.

Of course the idea that any tour could be a performer's last in Australia can't be the total explanation. To have people coming back five years later obviously says a lot about the popularity of FM here and the quality of their performances. The Who recently demonstrated that long periods of absence aren't enough to draw the crowds either -- they failed to even come close to selling out one show in March, despite not having performed in Brisbane for 40 years.

Whatever the extent of FM's popularity in Australia, it certainly seems enough to support nine sold out/very near sold out concerts. I was also pleasantly surprised that 'The Very Best Of' has charted in our Top 40 every year since 2002, and hit #16 during the Australian leg of the tour. In any case, I just hope all of this encourages them to fulfil their promise of a 'next time'

Last edited by DoubtfulMiracle; 01-01-2010 at 10:36 PM..