Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I've never read anything from either to suggest that at all. If you can, look at the Don Kirchner show from 1974. Bob Welch sang four songs, while Chris sang only one. So, I think she would probably have been more happy that the spotlight would have been off of her.

Christine's main concern was the money. After nearly losing everything in 1974, I think she was just happy to be in a hugely popular band. And Stevie's popularity ensured that the money would keep coming in. It secured her financial future. I think they all had their place: Mick was the leader, John was the anchor, Lindsey was the guru, Christine was the hitmaker, and Stevie was the star. It was a combination that seemed to work for them.
I really agree with this, good points.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never read anything from either to suggest that at all. If you can, look at the Don Kirchner show from 1974. Bob Welch sang four songs, while Chris sang only one. So, I think she would probably have been more happy that the spotlight would have been off of her.
But, that's only what got aired. It was about a 2/3-1/3 split in the entire set. Bob sang his tunes & the Peter Green tunes, Christine sang hers. The full concert set for '74 was pretty much a combo of the Sausalito & Hempstead bootlegs PLUS "Station Man", "Jewel Eyed Judy", "Bad Loser", "Jumping At Shadows" (Chris on vocals), "Morning Rain" & "Night Watch" (which was Mick's solo vehicle ala "World Turning" later on)...with some other variations from night to night (i.e., "I Loved Another Woman", "Coming Home", "Show Me A Smile", "Revelation", "Miles Away")...remember, THAT incarnation didn't stick to a set playlist every night.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
But, that's only what got aired. It was about a 2/3-1/3 split in the entire set.
True. Still, it wasn't exactly 50-50, and the stuff Bob was singing was more apt to go into extended jams where he would do his Sly Stone-esq thing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
But, that's only what got aired. It was about a 2/3-1/3 split in the entire set. Bob sang his tunes & the Peter Green tunes, Christine sang hers. The full concert set for '74 was pretty much a combo of the Sausalito & Hempstead bootlegs PLUS "Station Man", "Jewel Eyed Judy", "Bad Loser", "Jumping At Shadows" (Chris on vocals), "Morning Rain" & "Night Watch" (which was Mick's solo vehicle ala "World Turning" later on)...with some other variations from night to night (i.e., "I Loved Another Woman", "Coming Home", "Show Me A Smile", "Revelation", "Miles Away")...remember, THAT incarnation didn't stick to a set playlist every night.

oh yeah well ....... speechless!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
This is interesting. I guess I never realized that Bob was that interested in being a "frontman." I've kind of been assuming all this time that neither one of them had that kind of personality. Or maybe Bob doesn't have it as much as, say, Stevie, but he had it more so than Chris did/does.
Bob was a chatterbox. He did a lot of things to get the audience into the show (i.e. "clap your hands" or "everybody sing 'shake your moneymaker'"). He'd also spend some time explaining his songs. Mick said in his book that Bob is pretty high-strung, and I can honestly see where Mick was coming from. Part of the reason why Bob quit the band is because they really kept him from going completely hog wild. From what I saw on the "Live From The Roxy" video, his schtick appeared to get on Christine's nerves.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bob was a chatterbox. He did a lot of things to get the audience into the show (i.e. "clap your hands" or "everybody sing 'shake your moneymaker'"). He'd also spend some time explaining his songs. Mick said in his book that Bob is pretty high-strung, and I can honestly see where Mick was coming from. Part of the reason why Bob quit the band is because they really kept him from going completely hog wild. From what I saw on the "Live From The Roxy" video, his schtick appeared to get on Christine's nerves.
I probably know the answer, but was this "Live from the Roxy" video officially released and could I buy it somewhere?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I probably know the answer, but was this "Live from the Roxy" video officially released and could I buy it somewhere?
The video version of the Live From The Roxy show has only been officially released on laser disc. You can get a VHS bootleg version from various traders. I have that & would definitely recommend it. The CD version of the show was officially released on CD last year. I got my copy from Amazon U.K. I would also recommend that.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Would you say that Christine typically spent less time in the spotlight than her other vocalists/instrumentalist/writer bandmates throughout the pre-BN era?
Chris was the same way when she was in Chicken Shack. Stan Webb did most of the vocals. She has said she was happy about this since everybody focused on Stan, then she could relax. She just never wanted to be out front, whether it was Chicken Shack, Bob Welch era Fleetwood Mac or Rumours era Fleetwood Mac. By the way, she did sort of front the band in 1975, right after Stevie & Lindsey joined. Just watch that 1975 Largo video.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wish they'd aired the whole show. What a set list!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
The video version of the Live From The Roxy show has only been officially released on laser disc. You can get a VHS bootleg version from various traders. I have that & would definitely recommend it. The CD version of the show was officially released on CD last year. I got my copy from Amazon U.K. I would also recommend that.
Cool. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
By the way, she did sort of front the band in 1975, right after Stevie & Lindsey joined. Just watch that 1975 Largo video.
Ya know, even John used to talk quite a bit between songs in 1975-77...they used to have a mic set up for him...basically it was the one that Christine would use for "World Turning" when she'd come out from behind the keyboards, but John would use it quite a bit during those years.

Also, if you listen to the boots from way back in 1971/72, Christine does most of the between song patter then, as well. Danny doesn't really say a word between songs, Bob Welch shows only a tiny bit of the signs of his "out frontness" which really came to the fore in '74 (you gotta read that last line out loud for effect )...so it mainly was left to Christine.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Ahh..yeah...but, how many of those "masses" KNOW those were Christine songs and was Christine singing?? I'll wager my great-great-grandkid's inheritance that they "assume" it is Stevie...that when they HEAR the songs, they get a mental picture of Stevie singing them, not Christine.
You really think so? I've always thought that, even though Stevie had more overall visibility, the general public still knew which songs Stevie did and which Christine did.

Although, unfortunately, I have heard a few DJs over the years say, "that was Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac," when they just finished playing a song like "Little Lies," but I don't think people typically confused the two ladies, even in their mind's eye.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Glad someone else likes "Only Over You"!
Another "Only Over You" lover here.
I love "Wish You Were Here," too, and am always surprised when people diss either of those two songs.

Truly, the only Christine song that I'm not wild about, is "One More Night." Outside of that one lame tune (IMO), she really can't do any wrong in my eyes. Even songs that I didn't love when I first became an FM fan, have become favorites. (Quick confession here: when I first became a fan, outside of Christine's familiar radio hits, I tended to view her songs as the speed-bumps between Lindsey's and Stevie's material... which is what I was the bigger fan of... but over the years, my appreciation of Christine and all of her songs has grown by leaps and bounds. )
Old 04-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I love "Wish You Were Here," too, and am always surprised when people diss either of those two songs.
Yay! I love both of those!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Ditto. AND I like both Honey Hi and *gasp* Sugar Daddy! So there!

Take on the situation but not the torment