The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Ledgie

"Agree with that. Neil isn't animated on stage. He's very entertaining and a consummate professional but he doesn't jump around a lot."

This confirms my point. Stevie and Christine are showing their age (not an insult, just a fact of life). Lindsey's youthful energy props them up. He has been stealing the show since the Dance.

As I said in my original post, the casual fan comes to a Fleetwood Mac concert to see Stevie. And walks away talking about Lindsey.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Perfect for more intimate shows...but I'm not sure his style is really suited to bring it to larger arena shows. Lindsey's animated stage presence captivates the crowd as you don't need to be close up to see he's a bit mad.
If you want to see Neil Finn's stage presence, here is two hour concert of Neil performing with another songwriter extraordinaire (Paul Kelly). Neil and Paul go back and forth playing their songs. Amazing show!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
If you want to see Neil Finn's stage presence, here is two hour concert of Neil performing with another songwriter extraordinaire (Paul Kelly). Neil and Paul go back and forth playing their songs. Amazing show!

I'll have a proper watch at some point when I've got a bit more time. Had a very quick flick through and I really cant see anything that jumps out and makes me think- Wow!. I promise you, I really like Neil Finn and his music, but I just cant see him and Mike filling the void.

I don't mean to sound rude...but you have seen Fleetwood Mac shows haven't you? I'm sure you have as you sound very knowledgeable. Its just...its hard to describe how much Lindsey steals the show and nothing I've seen of Neil Finn and Mike Campbell live tell me they'll have the effervescence of Lindsey Buckingham. As I say...great in smaller intimate venues. But for an arena supergroup? Hmmmm

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Ledgie

Nice, laid back sound. Perfect for smaller venues. But the fans will be falling asleep in a large arena. The following quote sums it up...

"Perfect for more intimate shows...but I'm not sure his style is really suited to bring it to larger arena shows. Lindsey's animated stage presence captivates the crowd as you don't need to be close up to see he's a bit mad".
Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post
Nice, laid back sound. Perfect for smaller venues. But the fans will be falling asleep in a large arena. The following quote sums it up...

"Perfect for more intimate shows...but I'm not sure his style is really suited to bring it to larger arena shows. Lindsey's animated stage presence captivates the crowd as you don't need to be close up to see he's a bit mad".
g. fish
- dude, where have you been for 15 years?

Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know all about the McCartney quote where he said that Neil Finn is the greatest living songwriter. Paul was asked about it last year and he smiled and sort of denied having said that. Very unclear. More likely he said it and doesn't recall it.
Probably not the best and most accurate quote to use whilst proving a point then??
Old 06-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for the shout out. Actually, I've been lurking on this board since the Dance. I usually maintain a fairly low profile online. But I became motivated to post my thoughts based on the events of the last three months. As you can see, I'm a bit late with my replies! Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
g. fish
- dude, where have you been for 15 years?
Exactly, great to have some insightful and intelligent debate back!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the shout out. Actually, I've been lurking on this board since the Dance. I usually maintain a fairly low profile online. But I became motivated to post my thoughts based on the events of the last three months. As you can see, I'm a bit late with my replies! Thanks again.
You seem to have a lot of common sense. Good to have your thoughts

Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'll have a proper watch at some point when I've got a bit more time. Had a very quick flick through and I really cant see anything that jumps out and makes me think- Wow!. I promise you, I really like Neil Finn and his music, but I just cant see him and Mike filling the void.

I don't mean to sound rude...but you have seen Fleetwood Mac shows haven't you? I'm sure you have as you sound very knowledgeable. Its just...its hard to describe how much Lindsey steals the show and nothing I've seen of Neil Finn and Mike Campbell live tell me they'll have the effervescence of Lindsey Buckingham. As I say...great in smaller intimate venues. But for an arena supergroup? Hmmmm
I don't disagree. They're different. Neil doesn't have Lindsey's passionate energy. However, Lindsey doesn't have Neil's warmth and wit. Neil brings a very high level of warmth and humor to his shows. Neil and Lindsey are both consummate professionals from a music standpoint. It will be different, for sure, but I still expect it to be great. And from a new music standpoint, there are few songwriters alive today as good as Neil.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey brings a lot of physical energy to the show, but he needs to after all that psychobabble-as-banter.

That said, Neil’s SiriusXM interviews don’t have me too optimistic, but that’s not really the same thing as performing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't disagree. They're different. Neil doesn't have Lindsey's passionate energy. However, Lindsey doesn't have Neil's warmth and wit. Neil brings a very high level of warmth and humor to his shows. Neil and Lindsey are both consummate professionals from a music standpoint.
FOR ONCE I actually agree with you. You have articulated both their strengths well here and realised they are different.
But Stop trying to shove Finn's talent down forum members throats, it is not helping your case. I hold Finn in the highest regard too but people need to make up their own minds personally. I don't believe FM will ever be great again, with or without Finn. Music is subjective and shouldn't be forced on anyone. You are only enraging those that are still sad and angered by LBs firing....
Old 06-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Ledgie

I think I could become a fan of Neil Finn. I really like his sound. And he is charismatic. But based on what I've seen, I don't think he (or anyone else) can fill Lindsey's shoes.

Vince Gill has done a great job of imitating Glen Frey. But it's still just karaoke in my mind...even with a known replacement. The only way to achieve legitimacy is to create new music.

As HomerMcvie said...It's simply too late in the game for reinvention.

Maybe if Fleetwood Mac had another 10 or 15 years. But at that point, they will be pushing 85 to 90.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
FOR ONCE I actually agree with you. You have articulated both their strengths well here and realised they are different.
But Stop trying to shove Finn's talent down forum members throats, it is not helping your case. I hold Finn in the highest regard too but people need to make up their own minds personally. I don't believe FM will ever be great again, with or without Finn. Music is subjective and shouldn't be forced on anyone. You are only enraging those that are still sad and angered by LBs firing....
I'm not trying to force any music on anyone. Just stating my opinions just like all the others do here. Mine standout though because I'm not espousing the "Lindsey as victim" theme and just talking about how brilliant Mike and Neil are. Hey I wish Lindsey would have just backed down and honored his commitment to tour with Fleetwood Mac and did his solo thing next summer. If he had, Fleetwood Mac would still be the "classic five" and Neil would in Auckland finishing his album with his brother Tim.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I could become a fan of Neil Finn. I really like his sound. And he is charismatic. But based on what I've seen, I don't think he (or anyone else) can fill Lindsey's shoes.

Vince Gill has done a great job of imitating Glen Frey. But it's still just karaoke in my mind...even with a known replacement. The only way to achieve legitimacy is to create new music.

As HomerMcvie said...It's simply too late in the game for reinvention.

Maybe if Fleetwood Mac had another 10 or 15 years. But at that point, they will be pushing 85 to 90.

Yes, to make them a legitimate band they need to record new music....proper new music, i.e. an album, not just one or two songs.
However, if they did that they'd be taking the piss knowing that's what Lindsey had been pushing this band to do for many years.

Mick Fleetwood