Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2002, 04:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Rosebud Show

Can anyone verify a date or even a year for this show? You'd initially think 1977 because of You Make Loving Fun and Go Your Own Way, but they did both of those live in 1976 as well... Also, the acoustic riff on Go Your Own Way is absent. Lindsey said it was added very late, so I'm thinking '76 for Rosebud...Anyone? Help!!
-Brian
Old 04-28-2002, 01:28 AM
joe

This is 1976 without a doubt, although i don't have official documentation to prove it...On that tour, FM decided to test a few of the 'new' songs out including 'GYOW, YMLF, Gold Dust Woman,Don't Stop and Silver Springs'...yes, Silver Springs...they began that tour in June, 1976...I have a tape from Kansas City (6-18-76) from that year and they did all of the above songs (from the 'new album' which they announced was due in September) except for GYOW...I also have a tape from Milwaukee a few days later (6-21-76) and they only did 'Silver Springs and YMLF'...a month later in Cleveland (7-23-76) they only did YMLF...the "Rhiannon's" on these tapes are VERY identical to the Rosebud performance. Also, GYOW on Rosebud is more crude which led me to believe it was an early version of the song (no screaming guitar solo in the middle or end)...I don't have an exact date but i noticed that during some of the outside interview segments it looks like the outside of the Sausolito studio ( i could be wrong ) which would make sense since they were there in the first half of the year recording Rumours...I don't know what the dates are on the live performances that were recorded outside ('So Afraid', 'World Turning' from Rosebud and also the outtakes of 'Over My Head' and 'Rhiannon' from the same show that were shown on Disney's Going Home and VH1's Behind the Music respectively) but it was definately 1976. Imagine a Rosebud 'Silver Springs'???
I've been listening to the 1976 concerts the past few weeks and they're amazing...Rhiannon from Milwaukee has to be the best ending i've ever heard in my life! I get chills hearing it...she went on and on...it was a very extended ending and she had no trouble doing it...you can even hear the people in the audience going nuts during that...i can understand why, in Mick's book, he says Stevie 'shredded her vocal chords' that year singing the **** out of 'Rhiannon'.

Sorry to ramble! Hope this helps!
Old 04-28-2002, 02:43 AM
Ledgie

I always thought it was 1976. It it for sure...well it has to be definitely. And I have those '76 concert tapes too with Silver Springs, YMLF, and GYOW and they rock. You can tell too cause YMLF on the Rosebud tape has a different ending, which I actually like better than the final version on Rumours. And GYOW did have that guitar solo pounding ending either but it still rocked. I love it when Stevie would sing the lyric "only loove" at the end of GYOW.

anyways enough talking...it is 1976...wish I was at the concert! (well the one where Linds is in the red tight shirt!!)

ROCK On FRO!

-April
Old 04-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
I have a tape from Kansas City (6-18-76) from that year and they did all of the above songs (from the 'new album' which they announced was due in September)
Sorry to correct you, but that show was actually June 1st, 1977 at the Kemper Arena. They never performed GDW, Don't Stop, or Silver Springs on the White Album tour. Also, the Milwaukee show was on June 24th, not the 21st. This should help with tourdates:
http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/...m#fleetwoodmac
Just wanted to clear that up for ya!
-Brian
Old 04-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Ledgie

hey where do ya'll get these tapes??????? Im dying to hear them
Old 05-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
Sorry to correct you, but that show was actually June 1st, 1977 at the Kemper Arena. They never performed GDW, Don't Stop, or Silver Springs on the White Album tour.
Fleetwood Mac actually did play Royals Stadium in Kansas City on 6-18-76, but I had no idea the fans had a tape of it.

It was called the Summer Jam '76, & Fleetwood shared the bill with Kansas, Head East, REO Speedwagon & Henry Gross.

On 6-1-77, I believe Fleetwood Mac played the Omni in Atlanta. It makes geographical sense because the following night they played the Memorial Coliseum in Birmingham & the night after that it was the Midsouth Stadium in Memphis -- they were on a swing through the South rather than the Midwest.

I'd love to hear a "Gold Dust Woman" or a "Don't Stop" from the 1976 touring days. I'm totally unaware of any recordings of those two numbers, although they did "Silver Springs" & "You Make Loving Fun" at some of those 1976 shows.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:48 PM
joe

David...thanks. I'm glad someone backed me up on the Kansas City thing. It just does NOT make sense that they would have played 'Silver Springs' in 1977 after Rumours was released when that song was canned from the album. Also, the ending to 'Gold Dust Woman' is missing the "pale shadow of a woman et al.." ending proving that it is a performance before the song was really finished. Also, to anyone that disagrees, where is "the chain" and "dreams" in the concert if it's from 1977? I've also seen this tape mislabeled as 4-77. If i'm not mistaken, they were in Europe in that month.

Anyway, David and blackwidower i can work on a copy of these for you if you give me your email addresses. You can reach me at
vze3373m@verizon.net.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Look, I'm not wrong, look at ANY of these reputable trade pages and you'll find KC is 1977:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Mezzanine/1927/
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/crystal...vieaudios.html
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...5/rumours.html
http://www.geocities.com/velvet_dreams84/fmlive.html
http://www.geocities.com/stardust_rhiannon/fm.html
I can go on and on and on. It's mislabeled. If you look at any of the other setlists from the White Album Tour, you will see that GDW and Don't Stop were not performed. I did mispeak on Silver Springs however. Milwaukee '76 is the lone show available with Silver Springs. Need any more help?
-Brian
Old 05-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
Look, I'm not wrong, look at ANY of these reputable trade pages and you'll find KC is 1977: [snip]
I can go on and on and on. It's mislabeled. If you look at any of the other setlists from the White Album Tour, you will see that GDW and Don't Stop were not performed. I did mispeak on Silver Springs however. Milwaukee '76 is the lone show available with Silver Springs. Need any more help?
Brian, maybe we are all talking about a couple of different things at the same time? Fleetwood played a big Kansas City show on June 18 1976, but I had no idea that a recording of it existed. Joe says he has it, & that it contains "You Make Loving Fun," "Gold Dust Woman," "Silver Springs" & "Don't Stop." I'm surprised to hear that there is a 1976 recording of "Don't Stop" & "Gold Dust Woman." That would be groovy to hear. Maybe Joe wouldn't mind posting the track list for us here.

You mention the recording floating around of a spring 1977 show in Kansas City. I have that, too, but I only said that I don't think it was June 1; I believe it was earlier, probably in early or mid May, when the band was playing the Midwest. It is also a bit of an oddball tape because it opens with "Don't Stop" & contains "Silver Springs." It's always labeled April 1, but that seems unlikely to both you & me because the band was traveling to Europe on that day (they opened in Europe on the following day -- April 2).

Joe, take note: Fleetwood really did play "Silver Springs" at this early 1977 show labeled Kansas City. You said earlier that on your tape, someone in the band says that the "album" is due out in September, right? So I assume we are all talking about two different recordings.

A lot of these "Rumours" shows, from the first one in February to about the end of May, had a bunch of cool songs, like "Believe Me," "Silver Springs," "Tell Me All the Things You Do," "Hypnotized," "Don't Stop" & "Green Manalishi." The set didn't appear to solidify until late May or the beginning of June, at shows like Lakeland FL (5-30-77) or Birmingham (6-2-77) or New Orleans (6-4-77). At around that time, the "Rumours" set settles into the groove we all recognize & pretty much stays that way until the tour ends in December.

One of our fellow Ledgies (who should step in here & tell us what he remembers) says that he attended a Fleetwood show in March or April of 1976 at the outdoor Campus Stadium at University of California, Santa Barbara, & that the outdoor "Rosebud" footage was filmed there. I think he also has said that the band opened that show with "Sunny Side of Heaven." If you look closely at the outdoor footage, you can see that Christine has set up her ARP String Ensemble atop her Hohner pianet, & she has said that she used the ARP for "Sunny Side of Heaven." That must have been a great time for the band: playing big outdoor shows like the Days on the Green on April 24 up at the Oakland Stadium, they looked & sounded fantastic.

Even if you spend just a little bit of time digging into some of the more miniscule information, you immediately recognize the need for the band to have documented its own activities a little bit better (which it usually failed to do).
Old 05-19-2002, 12:47 PM
joe

ok...i've got some documentation here about the kansas city recording in question...i went back to Mick's book and it says "...rehearsals for the (1976) summer tour began on June 4 and lasted ten days...off we went on June 18, opening at Royals Stadium in Kansas City..." i'm assuming that the indoor Rosebud performances took place during those rehearsals...also, later in the book during the Rumours tour Mick goes on to document "On April Fools' Day (1977) we released our second single. 'Go Your Own Way' had been a top ten record. Now Stevie's song 'Dreams' would go to number one and help to launch Rumours into the atmosphere. That same day, we flew to England for a series of shows..." It doesn't mention a date for Kansas City in 1977 but i'm sure they played there. Obviously, it couldn't have been April 1 since they were going to England that day...

I also went back to the tape i have and before "You Make Loving Fun" comes on Chris says "you're the first audience that we've ever played these new songs for...this is another song from the new album not yet released...'you make loving fun'. Before "Gold Dust Woman" Chris says "...we just finished making an album about 6 weeks ago...we've got to start playing these songs sometime or other..." of course, they thought the album was complete at that point and were scheduling a September 1976 unaware that they would complete the album later in the year at other studios. The version of "GDW" sounds like an earlier version of the completed song. What's missing is the ending "pale shadow" verses and in place is basically Stevie doing some chanting that is just like the earlier studio (Sausolito) version (if you've ever heard that).Also, at the end of "YMLF" is the (Rosebud-like) verses "You...you make loving fun....and i'm beginning to wonder why/i've a feeling it's time to try..." And again they thought "Silver Springs" was going to be on the album and that's why they were doing it live at that point. I checked Mick's book and "Don't Stop" was almost finished which is why they were performing on this show as well.

I think that pretty much solidifies the fact that the tape i have IS from 6-18-76.

As far as the '4-1-77' Kansas City tape is concerned...You very well may have the same tape i do but yours is mislabeled. I find it incredibly hard to believe that they would have done "SS" in 1977 knowing that it wasn't on the album. Also, i believe they dropped "Spare Me a Little" before the Rumours tour as i haven't seen it on any of the bootleg concerts from that year. There's a webpage that documents each show that FM has done (basically from any info that's available) and it lists the songs they did for those shows...I do understand that they played a different setlist earlier in the Rumours tour as i have the Philadelphia Spectrum show from 3-21-77 and they did include "Believe Me" and "Tell Me All the Things You Do"...it's the best Rumours concert i've ever heard. The setlist was different and the order was too. "Rhiannon" rocked like the Rosebud version and Stevie was in fine voice. Also, Lindsey's guitar work on "The Chain" was unlike any performance i've heard. And...On "Gold Dust Woman" Stevie did an opera-like chant at the very ending that gives me the chills. It's by far the best version i've heard. During "Landslide" some guy is screaming "Take it off!" it's pretty funny...I wish there was a soundboard of this concert. Mine is a good audience recording.

Here's the setlist for the 6-18-76 show:
Don't Stop
Station Man
Monday Morning
Spare Me a Little
Rhiannon
Why
Landslide
Over My Head
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Well
Silver Springs
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
Say You Love Me
World Turning

Here's the 3-21-77 setlist:
Say You Love Me
Station Man
Believe Me
Rhiannon
Why
The Chain
Dreams
Never Going Back Again
Landslide
Over My Head
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way
Oh Daddy
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Well
World Turning
Blue Letter
Tell Me All the Things You Do
Old 05-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Umm...are you......completely ignoring the facts out of stubbornness or what.... All those pages that I rattled off place your setlist in 1977. What setlist are YOU looking at? Also, going to your "site"s credibility, QUOTE: Also, i believe they dropped "Spare Me a Little" before the Rumours tour as i haven't seen it on any of the bootleg concerts from that year.

Milwaukee, WI 6/24/76

Say You Love Me, Station Man, SPARE ME A LITTLE, Rhiannon, Landslide, Over My Head, Silver Springs, You Make Loving Fun, I'm So Afraid, Oh Well, Green Manalishi, World Turning (cut)

Cleveland, OH 7/23/76

Say You Love Me, Station Man, SPARE ME A LITTLE, Rhiannon, Why, Landslide, Over My Head, You Make Loving Fun, I'm So Afraid, Oh Well, Green Manalishi, World Turning, Blue Letter, Hypnotized, Songbird

Hollywood '76

Station Man, SPARE ME A LITTLE, Rhiannon, Landslide, I'm So Afraid, World Turning, Don't Let Me Down Again, Hypnotized, Oh Well, Homework, World in Harmony, Green Manalishi, Rhiannon, Why, Landslide

What are your sources? You should reeeally rethink this whole defense of yours.
-Brian
P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mick also mention is his book that they went on tour in 1977 before Rumours was released? Silver Springs was dropped quite late....
Old 05-19-2002, 06:34 PM
joe

First of all, the setlist i previously posted is from the actual tape i have...Rumours was released on 2-4-77 and the actual Rumours tour began late in that same month so i don't know why you're thinking Mick said they went out on tour in 1977 before the album came out...Let's backtrack a bit....The Rumours recording sessions started in January 1976 and continued till June when they took a break from the studio to hit the road that summer. During those concerts, they previewed some of the new material that was being recorded for the 'new' (Rumours) album...They went back into the studio after the summer tour to finish up Rumours. It was officially released on 2-4-77 and the actual 'Rumours tour' began later that month. So, no they did not go out on the road in 1977 PRIOR to Rumours being released. I'm a little confused as to what you're disputing here...When i purchased the Kansas City tape years ago, it WAS labeled as "4-1-77 Kansas City"...However, for ALL the aforementioned reasons (in my last post) i came to the conclusion that whoever began circulating this tape years ago milabeled it as 4-1-77 and should have marked it as 6-18-76...Therefore, all those websites that you are referencing have this supposed concert from "4-1-77 Kansas City which, most likely, is the same as mine.

Please clarify what you are disputing here...maybe there's some miscommunication. I've reread these posts several times and i'm a bit baffled.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:39 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
Also, i believe they dropped "Spare Me a Little" before the Rumours tour as i haven't seen it on any of the bootleg concerts from that year.

What i meant was they did NOT include "Spare Me a Little" on the 1977 Rumours tour. Therefore (again), the (Kansas City) tape i have which has "Spare Me a Little" cannot be from 1977.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Ok, at least you admit you recieved it as '77. Believe what you want, you'll be the only one on the face of the earth to have a "1976" KC show. Congratulations. I'm done with this now.
-Brian
Old 05-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
Rumours was released on 2-4-77 and the actual Rumours tour began late in that same month so i don't know why you're thinking Mick said they went out on tour in 1977 before the album came out. [snip] So, no they did not go out on the road in 1977 PRIOR to Rumours being released.
The tour is supposed to have started on February 28 at the benefit in Berkeley for the Jacques Cousteau Society, but several people say they saw Fleetwood Mac play before the album was released, which is very mysterious. One fellow Ledgie & a good friend of mine says he saw the band play in San Diego several weeks before the album was released, & he's got a darn good memory.

It's been a very long time since I have listened to this tape, but based on the track list you posted, it's exactly the same tape that Brian & I are talking about. I'm inclined to believe it is a 1977 show -- but not April 1, which was a traveling day for Fleetwood Mac's European tour.

Does anyone remember the article a year or two ago in which Stevie Nicks talks about the "mistake" Fleetwood Mac made by playing too many new songs (from "Rumours") at the band's first show in Kansas City? She said that the audience didn't really get into hearing so many new songs because those songs were unfamiliar to the crowd. This show Stevie is referring to just might be the show recorded on this tape.