User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Okay, Blondie people, so you recommend both No Exit and Curse? I didn't buy No Exit because every critic's review I read was pretty negative. So I decided to skip it and then Curse when it came out. So they're good?
Because I'm bored, I broke down No Exit for you. Thank me later.

Screaming Skin- This is about Chris Stein's illness back in the 80s and the lyrics are pretty hysterical. "I'm a multi-cellular individual/You're way out of proportion/We've got a hemodynamic connection/So don't call me germ." It has a very ska feel to it.
Forgive and Forget- My all-time favorite song. Kind of dancy and disco-ish. The lyrics are killer and Deb sings some of the highest notes she's ever sung.
Maria- You've heard it.
No Exit- I prefer it over Rapture because it's funnier and VERY dark. When they played it live at the AMAs, it reportedly scared the **** outta Celine Dion and Billy Joel. Coolio takes getting used to, but it's worth it.
Double Take- One of my faves. Killer lyrics ("Caught in my pursuit I play the fetishistic mission/The longing that I feel drives me mad in your direction/Nailed by something cute I tear it out with microsurgical precision.") A little slow and jazzy.
Nothing Is Real but the Girl- Sounds like Blondie being Blondie. Fast, uptempo pop song.
Boom Boom In the Zoom Zoom Room- Sounds like something Deb would have done with the Jazz Passengers. Very quirky and lots of saxophone. I know Amber loves it.
Night Wind Sent- Deb's prettiest song. It actually sounds like something Steive would have written back in the day, minus the fairy schtick. She sings it in her upper register the whole time. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Under the Gun- AWESOME. But the mix is crappy, so it's hard to hear her at times.
Out In the Streets- Sounds like a fifties song. I doubt anyone won't feel the urge to sing along to it.
The Dream's Lost On Me- Country. Very country. Willie Nelson country. Very clever lyrics and very enjoyable.
Happy Dog- Cool dirge. It cracks me up every time, especially when she sings "Come on and wag with me, baby."
Divine- It took me awhile to warm up to it. But I don't skip it anymore. The music just never did anything for me, though she sounds fab.
Dig Up the Conjo- Brilliant and one of the weirdest songs ever recorded. This one is hit or miss depending on the person, but I LOOOOOVE it. It's hard to sing, though, because she hits so many high notes all over the place.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Because I'm bored, I broke down No Exit for you. Thank me later.

Screaming Skin- This is about Chris Stein's illness back in the 80s and the lyrics are pretty hysterical. "I'm a multi-cellular individual/You're way out of proportion/We've got a hemodynamic connection/So don't call me germ." It has a very ska feel to it.
Forgive and Forget- My all-time favorite song. Kind of dancy and disco-ish. The lyrics are killer and Deb sings some of the highest notes she's ever sung.
Maria- You've heard it.
No Exit- I prefer it over Rapture because it's funnier and VERY dark. When they played it live at the AMAs, it reportedly scared the **** outta Celine Dion and Billy Joel. Coolio takes getting used to, but it's worth it.
Double Take- One of my faves. Killer lyrics ("Caught in my pursuit I play the fetishistic mission/The longing that I feel drives me mad in your direction/Nailed by something cute I tear it out with microsurgical precision.") A little slow and jazzy.
Nothing Is Real but the Girl- Sounds like Blondie being Blondie. Fast, uptempo pop song.
Boom Boom In the Zoom Zoom Room- Sounds like something Deb would have done with the Jazz Passengers. Very quirky and lots of saxophone. I know Amber loves it.
Night Wind Sent- Deb's prettiest song. It actually sounds like something Steive would have written back in the day, minus the fairy schtick. She sings it in her upper register the whole time. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Under the Gun- AWESOME. But the mix is crappy, so it's hard to hear her at times.
Out In the Streets- Sounds like a fifties song. I doubt anyone won't feel the urge to sing along to it.
The Dream's Lost On Me- Country. Very country. Willie Nelson country. Very clever lyrics and very enjoyable.
Happy Dog- Cool dirge. It cracks me up every time, especially when she sings "Come on and wag with me, baby."
Divine- It took me awhile to warm up to it. But I don't skip it anymore. The music just never did anything for me, though she sounds fab.
Dig Up the Conjo- Brilliant and one of the weirdest songs ever recorded. This one is hit or miss depending on the person, but I LOOOOOVE it. It's hard to sing, though, because she hits so many high notes all over the place.
Boredom, or not.....I'm touched.

Sounds eclectic and very interesting! That's awesome she sings in her upper register a lot. And Stevie lyrics minus the fairy schtick? I gotta hear it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Boredom, or not.....I'm touched.

Sounds eclectic and very interesting! That's awesome she sings in her upper register a lot. And Stevie lyrics minus the fairy schtick? I gotta hear it.

She does sing in her upper register for most of the album. It's probably due to her stint with the Jazz Passengers, working with them did wonders for her voice. If you get it, be sure to pop in Dig Up the Conjo first. It's f*cking weird, dear.

Here are the lyrics to Night Wind Sent:

Your music by the night wind sent awakes my quiet instrument
In the silence of your steps I can see into the depths
Messenger of sympathies, my heart beats loud in ecstasy
When your shadow falls on me, a silhouette, reality
And I chase every night after you
And I chase after you

Of all your loaded mysteries, the colour of your sympathies
My words cannot express your awful loveliness
So come with me through smoke and mirrors, we'll bring our differences nearer
We'll float upon an inland sea, embody visions of a dream

And I chase every night after you

I got a chill and the night wind sent me a chill
And the night wind sent me a chill

You wander through my sleeping mind reading thoughts I've left behind
I always know when you've been there, tangles of perfume fill my hair
Your music by the night wind sent awakes my quiet instrument
In the silence of your steps I can see into the depths

Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Of all your loaded mysteries, the colour of your sympathies
My words cannot express your awful loveliness
So come with me through smoke and mirrors, we'll bring our differences nearer
We'll float upon an inland sea, embody visions of a dream

I'll let you know what I think when I get it. (And Franz too)
Old 01-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'll let you know what I think when I get it. (And Franz too)
Please do. I have to go out and shovel my car out of the snow, so I'll bring my CD player and some Franz and have a good ole time.

I love the lines "In the silence of your steps, I can see into the depths" and "You wander through my sleeping mind, reading thoughts I've left behind." Fab song.

Last edited by dissention; 01-07-2005 at 12:19 PM..
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Blondie - Heart Of Glass
Old 01-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472
Blondie - Heart Of Glass
Me, too.

Mine's a live version where she gives a lecture about nuclear proliferation halfway through it.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Me, too.

Mine's a live version where she gives a lecture about nuclear proliferation halfway through it.
I was listening to a slowed down version of the song. Not slow-motion or anything, just at a slower pace (the music). Sounds like **** IMO. Blondie NEEDS to be fast paced for me!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By the way, who is that in your profile picture?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was listening to a slowed down version of the song. Not slow-motion or anything, just at a slower pace. Sounds like **** IMO. Blondie NEEDS to be fast paced for me!
I don't like the slowed-down HOG (ha, I made a punny), either. It doesn't have the same effect. The old demo for it is cool to listen to, but not much else. I heard a slowed down version of Background Melody from Curse and, my word, it was as torturous as the Gypsy piano demo.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
By the way, who is that in your profile picture?
Kapranos. I had one of Debs, but it stopped loading, so I changed it.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't like the slowed-down HOG (ha, I made a punny), either. It doesn't have the same effect. The old demo for it is cool to listen to, but not much else. I heard a slowed down version of Background Melody from Curse and, my word, it was as torturous as the Gypsy piano demo.
To quote, well, you, "We're stretching it a bit, eh? " Nothing is as horrid as the Gypsy demo.

Quote:
Kapranos. I had one of Debs, but it stopped loading, so I changed it.
I should've known. It doesn't look like him though.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To quote, well, you, "We're stretching it a bit, eh? " Nothing is as horrid as the Gypsy demo.
True that. I'd rather walk through hell wearing a gasoline bra and panty set before listening to that torturous thing again. I've a feeling it will be played at my funeral out of pure spite.

Quote:
I should've known. It doesn't look like him though.
I know, but I thought the lighting in it was cool, so I had to use it. Now I'll have to change it. Check back momentarily...

Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True that. I'd rather walk through hell wearing a gasoline bra and panty set before listening to that torturous thing again. I've a feeling it will be played at my funeral out of pure spite.

I know, but I thought the lighting in it was cool, so I had to use it. Now I'll have to change it. Check back momentarily...
Oh brother...a pic of Alex "exposing" himself
Old 01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh brother...a pic of Alex "exposing" himself
I? Died from laughter when I saw that one.

I could have used one of Debs Playboy pics, but alas, I did not.