Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Paste review of LB/CM

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...ndsey-buc.html

By Mark Lore

While Fleetwood Mac has maintained its reputation over the years as a bona fide live legacy act, getting all five members into the studio has proven elusive. You’d have to go back three decades to 1987’s Tango In the Night to hear a recording that features Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine and John McVie and patriarchal drummer Mick Fleetwood all contributing as usual.

Nicks and Buckingham checked out during a couple of abysmal ’90s records, before the original members reunited for 1997’s live comeback The Dance. Christine McVie left the next year, contributing to only two tracks on 2003’s Say You Will, and settling down in the English countryside for the next decade. Her return in 2014 and, more importantly, her renewed love for the band she’d joined in 1970, brought on hopes of another studio comeback for the Mac. Instead, Nicks opted to release a solo record and tour without her bandmates. What fans didn’t know was that the seeds for what would become Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie had already been planted.

The new record is being touted as a duet between McVie and Buckingham, even though the rhythm section (or as Buckingham accurately states in the album’s accompanying 17-minute documentary, “the greatest rhythm section there is”) is made up of none other than John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. Their tightly wound rhythms are almost as recognizable as the record’s namesake harmonies, and the album is all the better for it.

This collection could easily be viewed as a proper Fleetwood Mac record (at least as Mac as anything they’ve done post-Tango), but it sounds like the two songwriters are liberated by not having the heavy baggage of that name around their necks. Sure, the light and hooky “Feel About You” and “Lay Down For Free” sound like they could have been yanked from Tango or Mirage (how could they not with all the Mac DNA floating around the room?), but songs like “In My World” and “Love Is Here To Stay” tap into Buckingham’s more brooding and introspective solo material.

And that’s where McVie’s contributions here—whether songwriting or vocal—really come into play. For one, no one sings like her—no one—and her lead vocals and harmonies bring a distinctive light to the album. McVie’s piano-driven “Game of Pretend” comes from the “Songbird” songbook, and her lead vocal on “Red Sun” is as soothing as a 70-degree afternoon. Her return to music is welcome; and for those who get swept up in the Buckingham-Nicks storyline, this record shines a light on the sometimes-unsung songwriter McVie.

In fact, this—what is essentially a Fleetwood Mac joint—probably won’t leave many listeners pining for Nicks’ contributions. That’s no slight on the witchy songstress, but a testament to how incredibly potent each of the three songwriters’ contributions has been over the past 42 years (1979’s Tusk was essentially three solo records trapped inside one coke-fueled double LP). Lyrically, Buckingham-McVie isn’t nearly as caustic or wistful as the band’s ’70s material, but the songcraft is still there all these years later. And this is one hell of a coming-out-of-retirement party for Christine McVie.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine contributed two tracks to SYW? WTF?

I remember harmony on a song or two, but that's NOT contributing a song.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Lyrically, Buckingham-McVie isnt nearly as caustic or wistful as the bands 70s material, but the songcraft is still there all these years later. And this is one hell of a coming-out-of-retirement party for Christine McVie.
I completely agree with this.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Christine contributed two tracks to SYW? WTF?

I remember harmony on a song or two, but that's NOT contributing a song.
What I would've dome to have her ACTUALLY contribute two songs to Say You Will. Throw out Silver Girl and one of Lindsey's weaker songs for two of her STRONGEST and I would've liked the album so much more.

I couldn't even hear her on Steal Your Heart Away, but always listen to her voice during the chorus of Bleed to Love Her. Imagine if she harmonized with them on Thrown Down or had backing vocals on some of the rockier tracks like Miranda, Running Through the Garden or Everybody Finds Out.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
What I would've dome to have her ACTUALLY contribute two songs to Say You Will. Throw out Silver Girl and one of Lindsey's weaker songs for two of her STRONGEST and I would've liked the album so much more.

I couldn't even hear her on Steal Your Heart Away, but always listen to her voice during the chorus of Bleed to Love Her. Imagine if she harmonized with them on Thrown Down or had backing vocals on some of the rockier tracks like Miranda, Running Through the Garden or Everybody Finds Out.
I hear her on the "Ooos" in SYHA.

I remember reading somewhere she played keyboards on Murrow. Was that ever confirmed?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...ndsey-buc.html

Christine McVie left the next year, contributing to only two tracks on 2003s Say You Will
Contributing to only two tracks is a lot different than contributing two tracks. That one little two-letter word changes the meaning considerably. It becomes a reference to a little backup vocal and/or a bit of keyboard playing.