Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, so far, I'm pretty much loving it! Things I like and hate:
Sleeping - I love the song, but hate his frog croak vocals on the intro!
Feel About You - It's a little cheesy, but I like it. I HATE the keyboard break, because I hear a child playing "Chop Sticks" on the piano. I hate that break!
In My World - I love it. Super catchy!
Red Sun - The most FM sounding chorus on the record, IMO.
Love Is Here To Stay - Meh, it's okay. Not crazy about it.
Too Far Gone - Typical Lindsey guitar signature lick. Song is a little generic, but I love the percussion breaks on it.
Lay Down For Free - It's okay. Nothing really special going on here, IMO.
Game of Pretend - Beautiful Christine ballad! She's in great voice.
OWTS - Great song, if he'd only come up with something other than repeating "Let's get on" five billion times!!! Also known as You And I, part III!!!!
Carnival Begin - It's still growing on me. I'm not as crazy about it as some of you are, but hopefully I will be!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
OWTS - Great song, if he'd only come up with something other than repeating "Let's get on" five billion times!!! Also known as You And I, part III!!!!
Carnival Begin - It's still growing on me. I'm not as crazy about it as some of you are, but hopefully I will be!

I love the 'let's get on' bit. I think there's a cheeky double meaning there. Totally agree about carnival begin, I don't really get the buzz, the lyrics are cute but it just remind me of ISA so much.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are my thoughts:

Love:

Carnival Begin - Where to start! Lush harmonies, I'm So Afraid classic organ sound, meaningful and very personal lyrics, wonderfully sung, and a great guitar solo. This is a classic Mac song and a feast for the ears. One minor quibble is I would like the harmonies to be more powerful and lush in the chorus just a tad more.

Love Is Here To Stay- I love the lyrics for this as well, really poignant, also the sweeping, rising, harmonies in the chorus are glorious. Really great vocal from Lindsey, soft and tender, and nice for some Lindsey style guitar to come through

In My World - the chords in the chorus are so nostalgic sounding to me, love the percussion and lyrics - really meaningful about Stevie leaving.

Like:

Sleeping Around The Corner - really high energy this one, love the percussion coming in and out, yes the verses are very short and the chorus repetitive but you can’t help enjoy fast paced opener.

Red Sun - this has really grown on me! I’m liking the lyrics much more, a nice cheery contemplative Christine song, very Temporary One, with a nice guitar solo to boot.

Too Far Gone - big World Turning vibe from this. Love the groove, and all the sliding bass notes. Very catchy chorus - love the isolated vocal chorus later on and JUNGLE DRUMS!!

Game of Pretend - Honey Hi vibes from this. This is a lovely song, very relaxed, great piano and vocal. Not a massive fan of the chords in the chorus and it does sound a bit religious, but a nice listen overall.

On With The Show - Love the You & I Part 2 reference! Really catchy chorus, and I like the verses too. And some strings! Great song.

Iffy:

Lay Down For Free - not a favourite, nothing special, all a bit regular. Chorus isn’t great and repeated too much.

Feel About You - I love the funky marimba and the overall arrangement, it’s just the lyrics that let this down, if they were better this song would be really great!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After some thought and additional listening, my ranking is as follows:

1. Carnival Begin (haunting and beautiful- Christine is on fire with this one!)
2. On With the Show (Really love this one. The outro makes me really happy.)
3. Feel About You (I know it's really poppy but it's so catchy and reminds me of Everywhere.)
4. Too Far Gone (Fun song. Love the drums.)
5. Lay Down for Free (Great harmonies in the chorus.)
6. Red Sun (Classic Christine. I like it.)
7. Game of Pretend (Great Christine ballad, it feels a little out of place on the album.)
8. Love is Here to Stay (Ok song. I'm not crazy about it like a lot of people.)
9. In My World (Was disappointed when this was released as the 1st single. I do kind of like the verses but not a fan of the chorus.)
10. Sleeping Around the Corner (I don't like croaky whisper Lindsey.)

In My World and Sleeping Around the Corner are pretty much interchangeable as my least favorites. I love Carnival Begin, On With the Show, and Feel About You. The rest ranges from good to just ok for me.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, my CD has arrived!

After maybe 5 listening, I've got to say this is indeed better than SYW. Not way much better. Just slightly better. Anyway, here's my ranking, because I did my homework:

1. Love is here to Stay: my favorite by far. I cry every time I listen to it, even when I was driving home this afternoon. Not a healthy thing to do. The lyrics are by far the most beautiful of the album. I don't know if he wrote it for Kristen, but if he did, it's the sweetest gift. The perfect bow for a perfect song is Lindsey and his guitar. Love his style here. It's probably what makes me cry.

2. In my World: if Lindsey wanted to give a message, it was loud and crystal clear with these lyrics. It was love at first sight for me. I can't stop singing it. I love the perfect blending of all those strange sounds (that only Lindsey can create) that accompany the melody.

3. On With the Show: Too many "let's get on", but he "will stand with his band", so all is forgiven. Love the team's feelings that Lindsey is expressing here. You can see his sensitive soul. The guitar at the end is fantastic. That Gypsy end is perfectly mimicked. A perfect road song. Or for one of those sappy commercials where team effort is rewarded with tears and laughs and hugs.

4. Too Far Gone: OMG, those drums from the middle of the jungle! I was pleasantly surprised with this song. I haven't heard much from it so I thought it was average, but my car was on fire this afternoon. Typical Christine's lyric (in contrast with Lindsey's), right to the point. The chorus at the middle of the song combined with the tambourine (Stevie, is that you?) makes me dance and dance.

5. Feel About You: love that dirty lyric that could only come from the dirty mind of Miss Christine McVie! Catchy. It reminds me of Sugar Daddy, not for the melody but for the lyric.

6. Carnival Begin: Clearly a very personal lyric for Christine. An Egyptian/Indian melody that I think is something I've never heard in any of their solo works. Lindsey's solo at the end blows me away but I'd have made it last a bit longer. But what I probably enjoyed the most is the obvious (and selfless) collaboration on each others' work.

7. Sleeping Around the Corner: hate the beginning (and I'd have never put it as the first song of the album), but love the perfect roundy end. Love the lyrics (angsty Lindsey is perfect Lindsey), and all those past references. Wonder who's playing the tambourine on this one...

8. Lay down for Free: very poignant lyrics (what else can you expect of Lindsey?). Not one of my favorites. Not even the melody can save it. The chorus makes it a bit more bearable. What irks me is the repetitive lyric. Because we have all already heard about the "words left unsaid, the rain and the broken bed" many, many times. But I like the music at the beginning.

9. Red Sun: the lyrics screams Lindsey (regret, words left unsaid and underground. Words not usually seen on Christine's lyrics). I'm not so sure it was a team job. Probably my least favorite, if it weren't for the lyrics. Just an average melody.

10. Game of Pretend: Enjoyable ballad. Too slow for my taste. It's like nothing I have ever heard from Christine. Hate the chorus. It makes the song cheesy, like one of those romantic songs from the 80s that you could hear on a soap opera. I can't imagine what Lindsey will do if they include it on the setlist. Christine's voice is flawless though, but not even that can't save it for me.

I love those thanks on the CD. John and Mick are clearly very loved people.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post

8. Lay down for Free: very poignant lyrics (what else can you expect of Lindsey?). Not one of my favorites. Not even the melody can save it. The chorus makes it a bit more bearable. What irks me is the repetitive lyric. Because we have all already heard about the "words left unsaid, the rain and the broken bed" many, many times. But I like the music at the beginning.
Probably my least favorite song. The repetition of lyrics bugs the sh*t out of me. Although at the same time, it's stuck in my head frequently. That kind of bugs me, too. That I'm not liking it so much, but can't get it out of my head! Damn you, Lindsey!!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Probably my least favorite song. The repetition of lyrics bugs the sh*t out of me. Although at the same time, it's stuck in my head frequently. That kind of bugs me, too. That I'm not liking it so much, but can't get it out of my head! Damn you, Lindsey!!
That's what usually happens with many Lindsey's songs (Family Man, Caroline). But I'm not mad because I love him. You don't.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's what usually happens with many Lindsey's songs (Family Man, Caroline). But I'm not mad because I love him. You don't.
You're right, it does. But let's get on, let's get on, let's get on, let's get on, let's get on, with the show.

He's my second favorite! There's only one member I don't care for.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're right, it does. But let's get on, let's get on, let's get on, let's get on, let's get on, with the show.

He's my second favorite! There's only one member I don't care for.
This is my ranking:

1. Lindsey: my God on Earth!
2. Christine: not my favorite female singer but pretty close. I lover her sense of humor, her honesty, her charm, her style. I surely wanna get older like her.
3. John: I love his talent, his personality, his humbleness, his patience (especially his patience )
4. Stevie: she's before Mick only because I used to like her. I never liked Mick very much. She has dissapointed me on so many levels. But I still love her songs and probably wish for something that won't happen.
5. Mick: he's Papa Mick, but I think he has given the throne to Lindsey a long time ago.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is my ranking:

1. Lindsey: my God on Earth!
2. Christine: not my favorite female singer but pretty close. I lover her sense of humor, her honesty, her charm, her style. I surely wanna get older like her.
3. John: I love his talent, his personality, his humbleness, his patience (especially his patience )
4. Stevie: she's before Mick only because I used to like her. I never liked Mick very much. She has dissapointed me on so many levels. But I still love her songs and probably wish for something that won't happen.
5. Mick: he's Papa Mick, but I think he has given the throne to Lindsey a long time ago.
For me, reverse #1 and #2, and #4 and #5.

I think Mick's a nice person, but quite an idiot. He has gifts, but common sense isn't one of them.

I really wouldn't care to meet him or Stevie. I'd give my left *** to have a couple hours with Christine, sharing a couple bottles of wine, and have her tell me band stories.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For me, reverse #1 and #2, and #4 and #5.

I think Mick's a nice person, but quite an idiot. He has gifts, but common sense isn't one of them.

I really wouldn't care to meet him or Stevie. I'd give my left *** to have a couple hours with Christine, sharing a couple bottles of wine, and have her tell me band stories.
I'd love to meet both Lindsey and Christine. But I'd probably be too shy to even say a Word.

John indeed is the middle man. A legend in his own mind.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Carnival Begin

2. Red Sun

3. On With The Show

4. In My World

5. Game Of Pretend

6. Too Far Gone

7. Love Is Here To Stay

8. Lay Down For Free

9. Feel About You

10. Sleeping Around The Corner
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My two favorite tracks, hands down, are "On With the Show" and "Carnival Begin." Maybe I love them so much because they are two commentaries on the same thing: the continuing persistence of Fleetwood Mac. Everything is just perfect about both tracks.

I like the entire album a great deal and feel it hangs together really well as an album. It makes me happy to listen to it. It has so many of the features that made me love this band in the first place. There are just a couple of things that I would have liked better if they were done differently. For the most part, there's just too much doubling/tripling/multitracking of vocals. It works better on some songs than others. I'd rather hear clarity: one Chris voice with one Linds voice would work better for me.

In general I like the production a great deal, with the one exception that I wish they'd use more keyboards, especially on Lindsey's tracks. It would have really put the "duet" in the "duet album." Maybe there will be more keyboards in some of the songs when they play them live.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. In My World
2. Feel About You
3. Sleeping Around The Corner
4. Carnival Begin
5. On With The Show
6. Lay Down for Free
7. Too Far Gone
8. Love is Here to Stay
9. Red Sun
10. Game of Pretend

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Remember when we all first heard In My World. I think the consensus was a little disappointment. When you listen to the album now you can clearly hear its one of the better tracks and how much more its appreciated. No?