Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
from what I understand "Behind the mask" sold roughly 800,000 copies in the US and 2 million woldwide and topped the UK album charts and made number 18 in the US (no doubt in the very beginning) but BTM for the most part is deemed by fans as a commercial "failure"
I think the reason why BTM was considered a commercial failure is because of the reputation Fleetwood Mac had already had. Each album went at least double platinum just in the U.S. alone, so BTM only going gold would be a failure (same reasoning of Tusk after Rumours being considered a commercial failure). When you sell a lot and then an album comes out that doesn't sell as much, it's considered a failure. But it all comes down to expectations, no sales figures. TISL was not ever expected I don't think to crack the top 20, much less debut there and stay there for three or four weeks.

Quote:
By comparison "greatest hits" never charted in the top 40 but is the second biggest US seller for Fleetwood Mac with over 8 million units sold.
Actually, I'm almost positive Greatest Hits peaked at #14. I don't know if that was it's debut or not.

Now, as far as worrying about where albums chart, it's not that (at least for me) I really care where they chart. I'm not going to say, this album didn't chart well, so I don't like it. Otherwise, I'd never listen to Street Angel. It's just the excitement of seeing your favorite band, especially one that has been around as long as FM, doing well. I'm sure the members of FM have to care a little bit about where their albums chart, and so if it does well, they are happy, so I am happy. I'm happy FOR them.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Rollingstone.com

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood

Well, at least we can look at it this way, Bekka is on 12 of 14 songs from Faith's new album "Cry" so we can say that there is an album with a FM member on it that is at number one right now anyways!

John
WHAT? YOU DON'T SAY !!!
oh my god i had no idea bekka was on this (well have to get it then (don't worry i have already bought both version of tbofm)
I've listened to cry in the store and did not hear bekka (not that i was listening for it ) gonna check it out again tomorrow
thanx for bringing it to my atention!!
Old 10-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Marc402

It figures, but the song "Cry" is one of the 2 songs on the "Cry" album that Bekka is NOT on. The other is called "You're still here". The REST of the songs on the "Cry" album Bekka IS on! She also co-wrote 2 songs "One" & "Unsaveable". I hope that helps.

Sorcerer386 - I'm glad you still get the "excitement buzz" for the "doing well" thing. It must be an age thing that makes it wear off or something (although as you say (and you're probably right that...), I'm sure Mick and some of the other FM members care about "success rates" too)!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-25-2002 at 06:28 PM..
Old 10-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Greatest Hits never charted in the US. It charted twice in the UK-#3 in 1988 and #38 in 1994. Its 8 million sold figure is a number acheived without any Billboard Top 40 entries. It did however make a long standing run on the Billboard catalog charts which are for albums that are 2-years old that have fallen below No. 100 on The Billboard 200 or reissues of older albums. Bob Seger's greatest hits and Dark Side of the Moon have taken up permanent residence here...

The entire point to this discussion for me is that Fleetwood Mac is one of the most successful bands of all time. Many, many incarnations and 35 years later the band is still relevant enough to make it into the top 15 on the charts. However, even if they were not, that does change the huge body of work this band has compiled, much of it of a high quality and some of it even innovative. That is something that a bunch of 15 year olds choosing to buy their albums or not choosing to buy Fleetwood Mac albums can never change or take away. The body of work is impressive and they are still a viable band making new music that all of us who are fans can look forward too.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I think the reason why BTM was considered a commercial failure is because of the reputation Fleetwood Mac had already had. Each album went at least double platinum just in the U.S. alone, so BTM only going gold would be a failure (same reasoning of Tusk after Rumours being considered a commercial failure). When you sell a lot and then an album comes out that doesn't sell as much, it's considered a failure. But it all comes down to expectations, no sales figures. TISL was not ever expected I don't think to crack the top 20, much less debut there and stay there for three or four weeks.
I'm sure you're right as to why BTM was considered a "failure" by the MUSIC BIZ people but my BTM example was more to ask as to why do those particular FM FANS I was referring to consider BTM a "failure" (for those that are going by the "success=chart placing+gold/platinum status" thing) as if they are going by this theory, then BTM should be consider a "hit" BY THOSE FANS but it isn't (or doesn't seem to be) for some reason.

Also, I can see why TISL made the top 20 for a couple of weeks in the sense that since Stevie is obviously considered the most popular member of FM, then naturally she is going to have the biggest "initial sales influx" (I had talked about last time) out of all the FM memebrs as say, if one of the other FM members was to release a solo album it would not sell as many and stay on for a few weeks (like you were saying, who knows why it apparently didn't happen with SA though!) coupled with the facts of TISL containing "new" material as oppossed to say, the FM VBO album which doesn't have any truly new material (as remixes do not class as new material in many fans books and therefore they will not be buying this time around etc.) so hence the more sales with such an album as TISL (and no doubt the same "chart/sales activity will happen with the new FM album next year for the same reasons but most likely will NOT "do more" than that), as well as the fact that it was well publicized regarding the "big name" guest appearances on the album (Crow, Gray, Mclachlan so therefore their diehards would run out to pick up a copy as well due to thier respective appearances on the album as well) and LB fans were going to pick it up as well due to his appearance on the album as well. This same "big name guest appeareance marketing move" was used on "Timespace" with the appearances of Poison's Brett Michaels (as they were apparently bigger back in thr early 90's then they are (or seem to be) now) and Jon Bon Jovi) though it's hard to tell if "Timespace" fared as well as TISL did in this fashion. Nevertheless, this would explain the 3rd & 4th weeks on the chart. I'm not saying this is "fact" or anything but it's simply JMHO as to the "reasons" behind the sales of TISL (going by what you had said which I'm sure you are correct on as to TISL being in the top 20 for 4 weeks). I guess I just don't want to see "those kinds of fans" be disappointed if the new album doesn't "do well" or whatever, it's just these kinds of things I would hope some of them would consider if they do see this. As I say, I'm glad you are happy for their success etc. but I personally have no allusions that the sales of yesteryear will return for FM because it will not happen unless the "music biz people" decide down the road sometime that FM is considered "hip & happening" again (in which case they would get behind them) which I doubt very much will be the case. Here's hoping it will be though someday!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-26-2002 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-26-2002, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
Greatest Hits never charted in the US.
Sorcerer386 was correct when he said that 'Greatest Hits' peaked at #14 on Billboard's album charts.

Johnny Stew