Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Tiptoeing back on-topic...

I've also never been really sure about that vocal collage part in the fade-out of Everywhere, which could be constructed from fragments sung by Stevie, but could equally be made from Lindsey or even Christine.
Yes... this song sounds like she's all over the choruses... especially on the the repeat of "I wanna be with you everywheeeerrrrrre"
Old 09-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
shame on you! it was Bleed To Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away.
I like Time better than SYW! There are about 6 songs I like on it, but that leaves a lot of rubbish!!! Like finding a lost diamond in a cat turd!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I like Time better than SYW! There are about 6 songs I like on it, but that leaves a lot of rubbish!!! Like finding a lost diamond in a cat turd!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey took credit for the "am what I am what I am what I am..." thing in "Family Man" too, but to my ear it sounds way too much like Stevie to be a studio trick. Someone who is extremely knowledgeable about all things Stevie told me it's actually her, and he's usually right. He says it was a Lindsey-led conspiracy to try to erase her from the album, and Warner wasn't having it.

I always thought I could hear Stevie on "Mystified" too, in some parts. It sucks that it's probably not her though.

Mick's book is probably wrong about Stevie's vocals being layered into "Everywhere", I think the ghost-writer did bad research and meant "Little Lies" instead. The background vocals on "Everywhere", like "Mystified", are a shimmering jumble of sounds, you can't specifically hear her. If she's there at all, it's still not the pronounced type of vocal like on "Little Lies" that would warrant a half page in his crappy book.

Stevie's accounts are troubling though. At one point she was blaming her absence from TITN on klonopin, but if she started that drug in 1986 she wouldn't have been on it long enough to cause the type of lethargy and not giving a **** that she was describing. That came later IMO, with BTM and OSOTM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I think Lindsey took credit for the "am what I am what I am what I am..." thing in "Family Man" too, but to my ear it sounds way too much like Stevie to be a studio trick. Someone who is extremely knowledgeable about all things Stevie told me it's actually her, and he's usually right. He says it was a Lindsey-led conspiracy to try to erase her from the album, and Warner wasn't having it.

I always thought I could hear Stevie on "Mystified" too, in some parts. It sucks that it's probably not her though.

Mick's book is probably wrong about Stevie's vocals being layered into "Everywhere", I think the ghost-writer did bad research and meant "Little Lies" instead. The background vocals on "Everywhere", like "Mystified", are a shimmering jumble of sounds, you can't specifically hear her. If she's there at all, it's still not the pronounced type of vocal like on "Little Lies" that would warrant a half page in his crappy book.

Stevie's accounts are troubling though. At one point she was blaming her absence from TITN on klonopin, but if she started that drug in 1986 she wouldn't have been on it long enough to cause the type of lethargy and not giving a **** that she was describing. That came later IMO, with BTM and OSOTM.
I always believed the Stevie part on Family man was added after Stevie made a fuss about not being on the album. I think its an obvious layer added late in the process.
Everywhere is like Don't Come Around Here No More. I swear I hear Stevie on both songs but there are many that don't hear her on either song.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Yes... this song sounds like she's all over the choruses... especially on the the repeat of "I wanna be with you everywheeeerrrrrre"
She is not on that song at all. What you think you hear is really Lindsey doing his thing.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you guys want to hear these manipulated voices
you should listen to the extended remixes.

For me they're a hard listen.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
She is not on that song at all. What you think you hear is really Lindsey doing his thing.
exactly, that was my point!

I don't hear her or any manipulation that is supposed to sound like her on Everywhere though. Or Family Man.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Then I think you need to give "Family Man" another listen. While I have no doubt Lindsey did some trickery, I'm absolutely convinced that the genesis of the "am what I am what I am what I am...." bridge started with a creaky Stevie vocal which he then manipulated. It just needed to be one line, really- then he just played with it to make it repeat and change key.

I'm also in full agreement with my well-informed friend that Lindsey was insanely jealous of Stevie's solo career and would have gladly excluded her from everything, were it not for Warner DEMANDING a big Stevie single and visibility in videos.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Then I think you need to give "Family Man" another listen. While I have no doubt Lindsey did some trickery, I'm absolutely convinced that the genesis of the "am what I am what I am what I am...." bridge started with a creaky Stevie vocal which he then manipulated. It just needed to be one line, really- then he just played with it to make it repeat and change key.

I'm also in full agreement with my well-informed friend that Lindsey was insanely jealous of Stevie's solo career and would have gladly excluded her from everything, were it not for Warner DEMANDING a big Stevie single and visibility in videos.
C'mon now, its ok to be a huge Stevie fan but facts are facts.
While her band was in the studio recording Tango, Stevie went on a drug binged tag along tour with Petty in Australia. She then toured herself and eventually ended up in rehab only to emerge when Tango was almost finished.
NO WAY any of this is Lindsey's fault or making. He actually handled the situation pretty well considering what he had to deal with. Was he jealous of her solo career? Probably ......but that does not explain or justify her absence from the Tango sessions.
Stevie herself stated the times she did show up, she was late and it aggravated Lindsey and probably the rest of the band. Christine had a right to lash out at Stevie for wanting to include her on tracks but guess what.....Stevie was not there.
Welcome to the forum Petep.....
Its not home and its not Tara

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-14-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the welcome, although I've been here since 2001.

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree, I'm not that kind of Stevie fan who can't handle another opinion.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, although I've been here since 2001.

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree, I'm not that kind of Stevie fan who can't handle another opinion.
Then I welcome you with big hugging arms!!! That's a rarity.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 AM
Ledgie

I thought similar to others re: Family Man -- that "am what i am, what i am, what i am" descension -- definitely Lindsey doing some "Stevie twisting" on his own vocals, and he did it in a 'cards on the table' way - showed the listener how it's his voice at first and then it gets gradually altered.

I remember feeling concern when I first heard "When I See You Again." I was a 19 year old college kid, listening to Tango on cassette in my dorm room. I was a big fan of the band even then and remember thinking, worried, "Christ, if this was the best they could get out of her, she ain't well." The vocals reminded me of the weak/fragile voice on some of "Rock A Little" (the title track, and "I Sing for the Things") the year before, but even weaker, and there had been a story or two in the news about her addiction/rehab struggles.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of us liked Rock a Little-era vocals, both recorded and on that hairy tour. It's what came afterwards (OSOTM and BTM) that makes me shudder.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some of us liked Rock a Little-era vocals, both recorded and on that hairy tour. It's what came afterwards (OSOTM and BTM) that makes me shudder.
Do people who do not enjoy TOSOTM truly not like Rooms On Fire, Long Way to Go, Ooh My Love, Ghosts, Alice, Juliet, and Doing the Best I Can????