The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I don't know who else he is dated, but maybe even though he manipulated Stevie quite a bit, the way she tells it, maybe she was still the strongest person he's ever been with.

She didn't exactly dump him, but stood up to him, at least from that story she tells about when he was hanging around distracting her bandmates and being a jerk and she finally put her foot down.

Maybe he doesn't like publicly remembering their time together because she made him feel weak, small, less than in control. She didn't feel like she was the dominant one in that relationship, but maybe he did.

Michele
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
hmm - are you saying female songwriters can be great just when not judged against men?

Walsh intentionally made it VERY wide - much wider than Howard's original question was - saying that when one thinks of great composers of the 30s...
No. I didn't say that at all! I implied that male musicians most always dominate any "best of" musician, songwriter lists overall in general. And therefore it's so characteristic for FM77 to list the obvious "Lennon/McCartney, Paul Simon, Dylan etc..." as being in that immediate realm of greatest songwriters ever, without even mentioning a Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith etc., etc. It's just an observation.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought mr walsh was quite introspective (as much as he can be)...no relationship that was based in such drug abuse can end well...the fact they both can still call themselves "soul mates" is nice...
Life on the road with all of its excesses doesnt breed stability...I'm impressed that Stevie has good relationships with ALL these men
Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My sense of their relationship has always been that she was in it much deeper (emotionally) than he was, and couldn't let it go so easily like he could. Maybe the drugs clouded her judgement of him and his attachment to her....but it really has always sounded to me like she for whatever reason just couldn't let go of him and perhaps he took advantage of that and strung her along beyond that summer of monogamy... and rather than realize "he's just not that into you" (because of drugs or her own emotional issues or whatever) she kept hanging on. I mean, his behavior could not have been more clear.... that night he went to the studio and disrupted her recording session bull****ting and goofing around with all the guy musicians and then her asking him "am I going home with you or..?" and he drops the bombshell "oh I forgot to tell you I'm leaving for Australia tomorrow". I always feel bad for her when I hear that story, like I want to say "Don't you get it?? Let him go, he's not worth it!!"
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel too like she was more in love than he was with her. I'm sure he loved the idea of being with Stevie, but he never took the relationship very seriously. She has said such deep, emotional things about him and even to this day he acts like it was some casual celebrity hook up. The crazy drug days has alot to do with it but for God's sake, he can't even remember the name of the song she wrote for him. He should feel honored that she wrote such a beautiful song about him and the loss of his daughter. He just comes across as a jerk to me.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
but for God's sake, he can't even remember the name of the song she wrote for him.
From the sound of his voice alone, it seems he's lucky if he remembers his own name.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69 View Post
From the sound of his voice alone, it seems he's lucky if he remembers his own name.
Yep..wet brain..has been for years.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
La Nicks did not write a word or note of "Talk to Me".It was written for her by comission by Chas Sanford after she expressed admiration for his "Missing You' as performed by John Waite.It is doubtful Chas was privy to any of the Walsh drama.
Yes, that's right, I had forgotten about that! I remember seeing the video clip of this song and her performance and was shocked when I bought the "Rock A Little" album and read that she didn't write it!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I came from a family brimming with addicts. I'm no expert and this is just based on my own history but most addicts I've known ended up full of self-loathing.

Some transferred that self "disgust" on to others, similar to what abusers do, because they couldn't stand the fact that someone loved them. ( Because whatever the reasons, they had declared themselves unloveable.)

But, when the pain - the void - the demon of whatever it was they were battling came back, as it always did, they were left with the option of loving themselves enough to do the hard work of recovery, or picking up a bottle or a needle to deaden the pain quickly.

It might be possible that Joe Walsh really cared for Stevie but "hated" her for loving him. That might've put pressure on him to love himself and he wasn't up for the challenge so he turned on her. Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
She has said such deep, emotional things about him and even to this day he acts like it was some casual celebrity hook up.
I'm not saying it was a casual hook-up or anything, but we all know how dramatic Stevie can be. Everything is as serious as a heart attack to her. There's not a whole lot of middle ground. I bet looking back on this relationship now she thinks, my god! I can't believe I said that he was one of my greatest loves! Cocaine is a helluva drug!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
I'm not saying it was a casual hook-up or anything, but we all know how dramatic Stevie can be. Everything is as serious as a heart attack to her. There's not a whole lot of middle ground. I bet looking back on this relationship now she thinks, my god! I can't believe I said that he was one of my greatest loves! Cocaine is a helluva drug!
Actually this is something she said in recent years, long after the clouds of cocaine and Klonopin dissipated. What can you say... the heart wants what the heart wants, and Stevie's heart wanted Joe, mush mouth and all. I thought it was interesting that Howard Stern (and Baba Booey- his producer) both picked up on that couplet in HAEWAFY- "I would rather be alone, Than be without you..." that I never gave a second thought about until now. Those are some serious words! And the cruel irony is that, indeed, Stevie has pretty much stayed single after breaking up with Joe! Yes, she's had her flings here and there (Prince, Rupert, Lindsey, a bagel boy or two??), but nothing that matched the duration and intensity of her relationship with Joe. I wonder if she died a little bit inside when they parted.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
but nothing that matched the duration and intensity of her relationship with Joe.
Oh. Oh. That's just gratuitous cruelty. Michele
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
nothing that matched the duration and intensity of her relationship with Joe. I wonder if she died a little bit inside when they parted.
Now if you replaced the name Joe in the above with Lindsey, I'd be onboard witchya.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Actually this is something she said in recent years, long after the clouds of cocaine and Klonopin dissipated. What can you say... the heart wants what the heart wants, and Stevie's heart wanted Joe, mush mouth and all. I thought it was interesting that Howard Stern (and Baba Booey- his producer) both picked up on that couplet in HAEWAFY- "I would rather be alone, Than be without you..." that I never gave a second thought about until now. Those are some serious words! And the cruel irony is that, indeed, Stevie has pretty much stayed single after breaking up with Joe! Yes, she's had her flings here and there (Prince, Rupert, Lindsey, a bagel boy or two??), but nothing that matched the duration and intensity of her relationship with Joe. I wonder if she died a little bit inside when they parted.
I'm sure it was difficult for her to get over Joe, but it always sounded to me that she had strong feelings for Rupert, and he was "the one" until the mystery occurance, when she stopped speaking of him and left.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh. Oh. That's just gratuitous cruelty. Michele
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Now if you replaced the name Joe in the above with Lindsey, I'd be onboard witchya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubird98 View Post
I'm sure it was difficult for her to get over Joe, but it always sounded to me that she had strong feelings for Rupert, and he was "the one" until the mystery occurance, when she stopped speaking of him and left.
No, no... I meant since Joe. There's no question that Lindsey will always be her true soulmate. But she did seem to get hot and heavy with the likes of Mick, Don Henley, Jimmy Iovine, et al. almost immediately after breaking up with Lindsey. But Joe seems to have scarred her for life; she would never fall so deeply in love again. Sure, she probably bumped uglies with Rupert for a time... but I get the sense that he was more of a fling than a serious, ongoing concern, especially given her fragile emotional/mental state at the time. And the *purported* fling with Lindsey during the Dance tour seemed to be short-lived and was a bit of forbidden fruit that ended disastrously before it had a chance to ripen on the vine. She has been so unlucky in love... and I simply don't buy this excuse that men cannot deal with a strong, famous, wealthy rock star woman. I really honestly believe she has intimacy issues stemming from her traumatizing break-up with Joe.