User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
The guy is in a rut the size of the Grand Canyon. In retrospect, the worst thing he did was come up with that solo guitar/voice version of "Big Love". Everything he's done since then was just remakes of that. He DID hit on a couple of things that were taking that idea to the next level ("Try For The Sun" & "Red Rover"), but all he's doing on this album is regurgitating Under The Skin type over processed vocals making the lyrical content unintelligable (which annoyed the fk outta me then and just pisses me off here) over the same type guitar patterns. He's not growing as a songwriter, a guitarist, a vocalist, lyricist or even producer (his production chops are atrophying faster than a corpse's muscle tone). What he needs is one of Jethro Gibbs' patented head-slaps. It's that "how can a millionaire sing the blues authentically?" thing. Lindsey's still going for the "quirky angry" schtick...comes off as really forced & phony. It's time for him to find a new direction.
I hate to say it, but I agree with much of your review. SWS is OK - I like most of the songs well enough. I look forward to seeing him in November. But this album is nothing special. Nothing unique or original. Nothing new or groundbreaking.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well he certainly can't please them all. Thanks for your honest feedback.

Quote:
About half way through my first listen, I just thought "what a piece of **** album" & was at least looking forward to "She Smiled Sweetly", but once it got here, nope, he even screwed the pooch on that one, too. The original version from the unofficial Gift Of Screws is infinitely better than this travesty.

This whole album sounds like he just rewrote the worst songs from Under The Skin & the official Gift Of Screws.

Finally, only the electric "Seeds We Sow" had the ever so miniscule molecules of "redeeming value".

I wonder if he has one of those sets of words that are refrigerator magnets that he just wakes up, pours his morning coffee and lets it get cold as he gets sidetracked from opening the fridge door to get the Coffee Mate creamer and arranges them into banal lyrical content.

I don't know whether to be angry or just bored at the repetitious lyrical & sonic tripe that he's dumped upon us once again.

Seeds We Sow...we'll be referring to as SWS...which in my head stands for Some Wasteful ****.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
The guy is in a rut the size of the Grand Canyon. In retrospect, the worst thing he did was come up with that solo guitar/voice version of "Big Love". Everything he's done since then was just remakes of that. He DID hit on a couple of things that were taking that idea to the next level ("Try For The Sun" & "Red Rover"), but all he's doing on this album is regurgitating Under The Skin type over processed vocals making the lyrical content unintelligable (which annoyed the fk outta me then and just pisses me off here) over the same type guitar patterns. He's not growing as a songwriter, a guitarist, a vocalist, lyricist or even producer (his production chops are atrophying faster than a corpse's muscle tone). What he needs is one of Jethro Gibbs' patented head-slaps. It's that "how can a millionaire sing the blues authentically?" thing. Lindsey's still going for the "quirky angry" schtick...comes off as really forced & phony. It's time for him to find a new direction.
I am loving this album, but I can see where you are coming from. This was my first Lindsey solo purchase; hadn't heard much of his earlier stuff. Now I am going back on Spotify and listening to the older albums, and I can see how, if I'd listened to him all along, I might find this more of the same and be disappointed. For a first-timer like me, it's great, sounding a little outdated (or should we say "retro?") in some ways, but quite beautiful.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've listened to ALL of Lindsey's stuff and still find this album beautiful. And I don't much care if anyone else doesn't. I don't genuflect over Law and Order or Go Insane. I find them rather ridiculous, actually, if anyone gives a rat's behind over what I think (and they shouldn't). So, I don't let his early work influence my love of absolutely everything he's done on OOTC and after.

Beauty is in the eye (and ear and heart and spleen) of the beholder. Don't try and convince yourself to dislike something you love.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I've listened to ALL of Lindsey's stuff and still find this album beautiful. And I don't much care if anyone else doesn't. I don't genuflect over Law and Order or Go Insane. I find them rather ridiculous, actually, if anyone gives a rat's behind over what I think (and they shouldn't). So, I don't let his early work influence my love of absolutely everything he's done on OOTC and after.
I don't find repetitiveness to be one of Lindsey's faults, especially not album to album. Now sameness within an album (UTS) has become an issue for me over time. But

And I say that as a non-musician who doesn't readily notce chord patterns, as long as the song sounds different to my ear. I'm sure it's different for someone who plays.

At any rate, while there are some artists that I love, I feel if you've heard one of their albums you've heard them all (Chris Isaak), but I don't feel that way about Lindsey. Having a history of his solo work does not diminish SWS in any way for me. While I compare my admiration for this album to others he's made, it's not really because it reminds me of them. It's more because it makes me feel as good.

Michele
Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I feel if you've heard one of their albums you've heard them all (Chris Isaak),

Michele
Uck. That reminds me of the likes of Joshua Radin and The Editors. Joshua Radin's songs sound EXACTLY the same. And when I saw The Editors live (they supported R.E.M. years ago) I swear I thought they played the same song for their hour long set. A grim time was had by Bee. Lindsey may be guilty of a lot of things, but creating a deluge of dull music isn't one of those things, to me.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Ok. But I'm asking a physical question really. Where is the b-side placed? In the old days, it would just be on the back of a 45. Now, that music is digital where does a b-side show up? Is it on the main CD and it's just labeled a "b-side" or what? Or is it on a second , separate CD called "the b-sides"? I do remember that Prince had a b-sides CD. I just didn't realize it was common. Michele
They're called b-sides in the same way cds and mp3s are still called "albums" and "records". However, yes, they now appear on the same disc or in the same download as the main single. Some discs do refer to something as a double A-side (e.g., a single Morrissey released off his live album on CD with 2 A-sides and 1 b-side).

Seeds We Sow - single
A1. Seeds We Sow (acoustic)
A2. Seeds We Sow (electric)

In Our Own Time - single
1. In Our Own Time
2. Sleeping Around the Corner

When She Comes Down - single
1. When She Comes Down (radio edit)
2. When She Comes Down (album)
3. End of Time (acoustic)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Ledgie

Heard the album twice now. I think it's a bit hit and miss which is a shame.

I could have done with a bit more precise production. I like a couple of tracks and I think they will really grow on me.

The only track I think should not have been included is One Take. I dont like the song at all.

Overall it's an "OK" album, nothing great I'm sad to say.

However - I do want tickets to the London show!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
About half way through my first listen, I just thought "what a piece of **** album" & was at least looking forward to "She Smiled Sweetly", but once it got here, nope, he even screwed the pooch on that one, too. The original version from the unofficial Gift Of Screws is infinitely better than this travesty.

This whole album sounds like he just rewrote the worst songs from Under The Skin & the official Gift Of Screws.

Finally, only the electric "Seeds We Sow" had the ever so miniscule molecules of "redeeming value".

I wonder if he has one of those sets of words that are refrigerator magnets that he just wakes up, pours his morning coffee and lets it get cold as he gets sidetracked from opening the fridge door to get the Coffee Mate creamer and arranges them into banal lyrical content.

I don't know whether to be angry or just bored at the repetitious lyrical & sonic tripe that he's dumped upon us once again.

Seeds We Sow...we'll be referring to as SWS...which in my head stands for Some Wasteful ****.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

the new album is great, we had it released on Monday 5th and listened to it straight away! I think he's awesome wheather he's with fleetwood mac or solo. I still love "Out of the Cradle" though! he was soooo HOT then!!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm enjoying this album a lot, but many of the songs just aren't that great imo. I got it yesterday with a friend, and he thought it was the worst he's ever heard Lindsey. But maybe it's because I didn't care for UTS and this album reminds me of it. When She Comes Down, One Take, Rock Away Blind, and End of Time are my favorites currently. Illumination and In Our Own Time are horrible to me, maybe I just don't "get" them?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The more I listen to it, the more beautiful it becomes. It's so shimmery and sublime. There are so many poignant lyrical moments that really jump out at me, since I haven't ever considered him to be the strongest lyricist. But nearly each song has a line or verse that I can't get out of my head. I think I agree that GTF is the most OOTC sounding tune on here. "End Of Time" is just gorgeous. Sort of epic, like IOOT. I'm loving it more and more with each new play...honestly can't wait to hear these live. Consider me a SWS stan. It's like biting on the heels of OOTC for me, not gonna lie. Thank you forever LB!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
Illumination and In Our Own Time are horrible to me, maybe I just don't "get" them?
I think it's all a matter of preference. I don't want to be so self-righteous to presume you can't "get" him if you don't dig some songs. Personally IOOT is stunning to me, but that's the beauty of opinions.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I think it's all a matter of preference. I don't want to be so self-righteous to presume you can't "get" him if you don't dig some songs. Personally IOOT is stunning to me, but that's the beauty of opinions.
Yeah. We all have our favourites, and not so favourite. I'm sure there are plenty of his fans out there who are completely turned off by OoTC. I mean, I adore R.E.M., but a couple of their albums are absolute dreck to me. But I still adore them. Because their good far outweighs any of their bad.

Still adore SwS though, by the way I think Stars Are Crazy is my favourite song today. And to think when I first heard it I just didn't like it. Now I think it's absolutely stunning.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The more I listen to it, the more beautiful it becomes. It's so shimmery and sublime. There are so many poignant lyrical moments that really jump out at me, since I haven't ever considered him to be the strongest lyricist.
I would say that it was around SYW that Lindsey first had entire songs where the lyrics jumped out at me, but he's always had sensational passages for me. Phrases that I found immortal. Like fate takes time, but even something as pedestrian as "I guess I need to be amazed," because it just captures those moments where I'm not disappointed. I'm not indifferent, but I'm still not satisfied and can't quite explain why. He has a way of throwing out words that might be about one thing or relationship, but somehow apply to life. And it may not be for a whole song, or even a whole verse, but he'll do it in a line that I can't shake.

Now, what I've noticed, comparing reactions in the last days is that the song that completely swept me away is forgettable to everyone else. I don't think any of the critical reviews even noticed Gone Too Far was there, yet I was taken aback by its beauty and pain. It's nice to see what's a consensus, but extremely interesting to learn what sounds "universal" to your ears, but which is actually just striking you in a very singular way. It's like hearing a dog whistle very clearly and looking around the room and realizing that no one else did.

Michele