Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Being just an employee I do not know their personal details, just that it was a business decision by them as equal partners to make her the majority owner and register as a corporation. We are able to apply as a minority owned company with the County of Allegheney for project bidding incentives and other benefits. And, no, it is not because of a better credit rating on her part, at least as far as I was told.

Where is the hypocricy?

Rob
Bidding incentives are not loans.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Bidding incentives are not loans.
Yup, you are right.

I am not sure of the specifics regarding the financial benefits they received (i.e. Loans and financing). But, the decision to make her the controlling owner instead of a joint partnership was a calculated decision to take advantage of various economic benefits offered to minority or female owned, small businesses.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Jason, I understand your point. What I can't agree with is that you are saying all wrongs have been righted. Look at the current experience of African Americans in comparison with other ethnic groups. By and large, they go through a period of suffering very serious hardships, then they seem to pick themselves up. Black folks have had a considerably different experience. Can anyone deny that?
That's fine, and I agree with you. BUT, how far are we going to take this idea of "righting all the wrongs" done to people in America’s history? My ancestry is Scottish and Irish. My family wasn’t even in this country during the time of slavery. They were busy being persecuted by the English and then by Americans when they arrived hear in the late 1800’s. Every race has gone through periods of persecution in their histories, including the English AND the Germans. It is a terrible and unfortunately recurring reality throughout history.

In my circumstance, based on this reasoning and because of my Irish ancestry, I could argue to be included under Affirmative Action because of the horrendous persecution and regard for Irish immigrants in America during the 19th and 20th centuries. It sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it?

Affirmative Action has a noble intention but it does not address the root problems of discrimination which is education. It is merely a Band-Aid that addresses the symptoms but not the cause of the problem. And, it’s like fighting fire with fire instead of water (how about that analogy! )

We all want equality, and AA, as it stands, is not equality.

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 01-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No to mention, the Italians and Jews would still be paying back the Christians, who were fed to the lions for heavans sake! Then, the Catholics would have to pay back the Protestants and the Arabs, etc.

Seriously, I submit as long as we as a society, no matter how noble the intention, continue to place one group over the other based on race, religion, or past wrongs we personally had nothing to do with causing, we will always be in trouble. So, again, I submit poverty, not race, should be the test. That way everyone who needs a break to better themselves but cannot afford one will get one.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Seriously, I submit as long as we as a society, no matter how noble the intention, continue to place one group over the other based on race, religion, or past wrongs we personally had nothing to do with causing, we will always be in trouble. So, again, I submit poverty, not race, should be the test. That way everyone who needs a break to better themselves but cannot afford one will get one.
Agreed! As long as there are incentives in place so that those people have to take steps to better themselves and not abuse the system as a means for survival.

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Agreed! As long as there are incentives in place so that those people have to take steps to better themselves and not abuse the system as a means for survival.

Rob
Touche

I guess I was sort of looking at the program as that incentive.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Touche

I guess I was sort of looking at the program as that incentive.
Only in an idealistic world, my friend...

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

An example of political correctness gone awry - I mean come on people get a sense of humor

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Old 01-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
An example of political correctness gone awry - I mean come on people get a sense of humor

Exactly! WTF.

Life is too short to worry about a dumb joke, insensitive or not.

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. They jump all over everything she does. I would say they are quite threatened by her.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. They jump all over everything she does. I would say they are quite threatened by her.
If it were a Republican instead of the Hillmeister would you look at it differently?

Rob

- Dennis Miller
Old 01-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree to the extent that they take everything too seriously. I even say, although I cannot stand Trent Lott and am glad he is gone, I think he meant his comments at Strom "Cock of the Walk" Thurmond's birthday party were meant in jest not derision. Yet, in this day and age, satire and wit (corny and bad taste though it may be) cannot be expressed for fear of the witless A good example is that Betty Bowers website. I think it is hysterical, yet I am sure someone will find it offensive and actually take it seriously.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yet another example of political correctness run amuck!!!!

I mean come on!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yet another example of political correctness run amuck!!!!

I mean come on!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html
Good lord!

These people have alot of time on their hands!

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .