User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
As for the rest of the points you made, let's just agree to disagree...as we always do.
Who us ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!

P.S. Carne must be changing diapers this evening because you would have had an ally had he been reading!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Who us ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!

P.S. Carne must be changing diapers this evening because you would have had an ally had he been reading!!!!!

Ah, Carne...someone who knows what they're talking about!

Old 12-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
I for one can get along with just about anyone, because I don't let my party affiliation define who I should like and dislike, or even what I should believe. I actually can be critical of my own party, and don't automatically press the button beside the "R." I actually have my OWN principles and think for MYSELF. I don't think Bill Clinton is an anti-Christ because some conservative talk show psycho like Ann Coulter does.

And I have made the decision to be a conservative. Guess that makes me a bad person in some people's eyes. I still think pretty highly of myself regardless.
I don't think anyone here feels you are a bad person for your conservatism, that is your right. Stand, dissention, myself and some others have friendly discusssions like this a lot here and they truly are just friendly discussions.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Interestingly, go here to see a Fox News poll suggesting Bush has less than half of a chance of being reelected. Yes, this is on FOX news and they give the raw data. How about them apples!!!! http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105000,00.html
Old 12-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, Nancy, if it helps, I am about the most fiscally conservative person around. If fact, I am so fiscally conservative in my politics, many so called fiscally conservative politicos would call me a liberal I am, after all for one flat income tax to help lessen the strength of the special interest lobbies, which is fighting words to almost all politicians

Socially, however, I probably make Dissention look like Pat Robertson (I am just joking and could not resist ). Seriously, I think the govt. has no business telling anyone what they can and cannot do as long as the act you are doing is not hurting anyone else. In other words, smoke pot, be gay, commit suicide if you are too ill to live, marry ten people if you want - I could care a less and think the govt. should have no say for or against - that is for people and their individual faiths - which the govt. has no business supporting one over the other. But, those are fighting words to politicians who knows that branding one group as evil fills the coffers with $$$$ and lots of it

Stick around Nancy - I think you will find all opinions offered in a friendly way (as your's are) are respected. If not, just call someone on it and say - look I meant that in a respectful way.

Cheers!!!!!

Last edited by strandinthewind; 12-06-2003 at 11:05 PM..
Old 12-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Socially, however, I probably make Dissention look like Pat Robertson (I am just joking and could not resist ). Seriously, I think the govt. has no business telling anyone what they can and cannot do as long as the act you are doing is not hurting anyone else. In other words, smoke pot, be gay, commit suicide if you are too ill to live, many ten people if you want - I could care a less mand think the govt. should have no say for or against.
So you're a Libertrian? Sorry, no one falls into a simple set of labels.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
I know - I cannot figure if Fox posted this as a battle cry to rally the troops or what All I know is for FOX - FFOOXXX - to publish this is significant in my eyes.

Yes, I pretty much am a Liberitarian.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Socially, however, I probably make Dissention look like Pat Robertson (I am just joking and could not resist ). Seriously, I think the govt. has no business telling anyone what they can and cannot do as long as the act you are doing is not hurting anyone else. In other words, smoke pot, be gay, commit suicide if you are too ill to live, marry ten people if you want - I could care a less and think the govt. should have no say for or against - that is for people and their individual faiths - which the govt. has no business supporting one over the other. But, those are fighting words to politicians who knows that branding one group as evil fills the coffers with $$$$ and lots of it

Nancy--

I completely agree with gldstwmn and Strandie, we mean no harm or offense when we talk politics. That's pretty much the biggest thing we talk about 'round these here parts and we all stand by our opinions. Hopefully you'll be just as loud with yours as we are with ours! I think everyone here loves a good debate and we'll argue back and forth about it until we're blue in the face...but in a nice manner.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I pretty much am a Liberitarian.
Check out some of these, maybe you could add one to your sig (same for you Goldie!):

http://www.internetbumperstickers.com/politic.html

Faux News must be trying to get more traffic from the liberals!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Johnny Stew:

But I definitely don't think anyone who disagrees with me is the enemy.
Well hell bud, I'll buy you a drink then too...or maybe a cup of coffee at this time of the day! Of course I agree with you on that sentiment.

Joe
Old 12-07-2003, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Partisan politics

Quote:
gldstwmn:

I would have voted for John McCain but they(Bush's special interests) bought the nomination out from under him. So jwd, if you're sick of the partisan politics what's your plan? Because we're stuck with it. It's the lesser of two evils type thing.
I agree with your choice of McCain, although our lesser of two evils, I do believe were different. My plan basically is to vote for the best candidate, regardless of party affiliation. There have been times where I couldn't cast a vote for either(any) of the candidates. We're only stuck with IT because of apathy and people not voicing their opinion. Quite a tragedy that it's happening/happened in this country. What some people in the world would give to have freedom of speech! I'd like to see more people get involved with what's going on in government, not just on a national level, but also at state and local levels too. I do believe the rise of a STRONG third party is something else needed to turn things around with all the bs partisan politics going on. SO MUCH TO DO , SO LITTLE TIME!

Joe
Old 12-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Bush's accomplishments

Quote:
strandinthewind:

Bush's economic policies are working and are helping lead us out of the recession that started at the end of the prior administration. Again, we have a long way to go, but all indicators suggest the economy is in a recovery mode. So, his policies are working enough on some level. That, to me, is remarkable considering the effects of 9/11 on the already crippled economy.

Bush has done the best with the terrorist problems that he could do in my opinion. Granted he has not caught OBL, but his organization clearly is weaker than it was when it blew up our buildings and killed our people; it also has no state that "officially" sponsors it. Interestingly, I can remember people I know bitching and complaining about us invading Afganistan saying there was no clear link with OBL, etc. It turned out they were wrong, esp. when OBL and one of the heads of the Taliban appeared together after the Taliban lied and said OBN was not there and he could never have committed the acts on 9/11. then there was the video tape of OBL laughing about the attacks as he heard of them and saying wait there is more. In the end, though, we need to capture him and kill everyone in that organization, a goal I submit no President from any political party will be able to achieve.

Iraq - still in the air for me. As we have discussed before, I think it was the right thing to do the oust S.H. because 11 years of his b.s. was just too much in todays world of terrorism on American soil (I am not equating S.H. with O.B.L. ) and the world via the U.N. consistently and unanimously found for 11 years that S.H. had WMD, but would not cooperate with the inspectors. They also voted S.H. must face serious consequences for not cooperating with the inspectors. So, the defiance Iraq's leader showed the world, in my opinion, was the sole cause of this war. I do not agree with the policies of the police state currently there. I do not know why we are not working faster if that is even possible.

The new medicare bill, while not perfect, is far better than anything passed to date. Short of state owned drug companies and socialized medicine which no party will ever advocate, I know of no better bill that could have had a chance of passing. Bush even managed to get the AARP to support it, a feat not thought possible a few years ago. This is a major victory for him and it will help many Americans, although not as much as I would have liked but what I wanted was not obtainable and will never be obtainable untilt he govt. controls the doctors and the drugs.

There are the biggies I can think of now. Again, I am not saying Bush is perfect. I am just saying he has had successes and these are some I think were that.

Jason, I couldn't agree more with your post. Bravo!

Joe
Old 12-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Partisan politics

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
My plan basically is to vote for the best candidate, regardless of party affiliation. There have been times where I couldn't cast a vote for either(any) of the candidates. We're only stuck with IT because of apathy and people not voicing their opinion. Quite a tragedy that it's happening/happened in this country. What some people in the world would give to have freedom of speech! I'd like to see more people get involved with what's going on in government, not just on a national level, but also at state and local levels too. I do believe the rise of a STRONG third party is something else needed to turn things around with all the bs partisan politics going on. SO MUCH TO DO , SO LITTLE TIME!
I try to vote that way, but it only lasts so long with me because the Republicans are never the best candidates. I also look at it as how is it going to affect the the other branches of government. I fit will effect it so much as to give the Republicans more power, I certainly won't vote for a Republican. I just don't like what the party stands for (believes) and I pretty much never like the things they do.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bush has done the best with the terrorist problems that he could do in my opinion.

In the end, though, we need to capture him and kill everyone in that organization, a goal I submit no President from any political party will be able to achieve.
I just can't agree with those two statements. I don't believe Bush has done the a good job at all with handling terrorism and I firmly believe that he has made things worse since he got involved. He should've stuck to sports, not politics.

And once we capture people from those groups, we shouldn't kill them. Imprison them and do whatever, but nothing condones more violence and barbarism. Killing them would make us no better than them, we'd be just a sick.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
something like 60 % of them were thankful of the removal of S.H. and a similar percentage felt they would be better off in the next year. So, that is something.

How could they possibly be better off with him in power? With the exception of the elite who beckoned to his every wish and demand, or believed what he did; they were oppressed, raped, murdered, tortured, and basically stripped of all their freedoms. If they don't realize it now, they will come to believe and know that they are in a much better place without the ruthless dictator we know as Saddam H. in power.

Joe