The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Should "What's the World" have been first single?

I think so! It is so great! It's got a beautifully melodic and catchy hook and the title seems to fit in with everything that's going on.
I LOVE IT! Don't get me wrong, I love everything else, but this song jumped out at me. "What's the world coming too, ohhhh" ,the change in chords from "coming too", to "oh" is very Brian Wilsonesque and quite beautiful.

Last edited by secondhandchain; 03-09-2003 at 06:28 PM..
Old 03-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Perhaps - but I hear a lot of other songs SO FAR that could be singles, esp. the "new" Thrown Down, Say You Will, Steal Your Heart Away (just beautiful). Imagine if I think these are that are that good, what I will think the others will sound like, esp. Come and Goodbye Baby is it is indeed "The Tower."

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-09-2003, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm quite fond of Murrow myself. I like the manic vocal on the verses, and then the chorus is just fantastic. The solo at the end sounds suitably weird as well. I think WTWC is a good opener, and Murrow is the perfect second track.

Is Illume available anywhere? Is it a rocker or a slower one?
Old 03-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Nah

I think Peacekeeper is an excellent first single! It definitely grabs your attention, it's beautiful, catchy, you can hear Stevie, and most importantly IMO, it's a Lindsey-authored song, which I think is the only appropriate way to kick off this album for the world. Stevie's new music is still fresh in the public's mind with TISL but Lindsey hasn't had any really good exposure/a chance to knock people's socks off since The Dance.
WTWCT is a great first song for the album, and might be a good single...But Peacekeeper I think may be more of an attention grabber.
I've only heard the clip of WTWCT...and forgive me for saying this, but the phrase "What's the world coming to?" is very very hard to take lightly these days. Being that there is so much turmoil and horrible stuff going on and the world is very tense right now it's kind of hard to hear that in an upbeat song.
I'll leave it at that for now.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."
Old 03-09-2003, 07:01 PM

I am blown away by this song. "What's the World Coming To" indeed. It's as if Lindsey's been reading my thoughts and attuned himself to my worries. Like he has nothing better to do!

Wonderful. Love this song. The acoustic strum is reminiscent of "Go Your Own Way," one of the greatest rock songs of all time.

I am also feeling more positive about the album in general hearing these snippets. I like the new version of "Thrown Down." Stevie sounds good, sparser arrangement makes sense and the new lyrics are an improvement.

I'm still not loving "Peacekeeper," but, hey, I'm glad I have the other version. I still think the two voices in the verses don't work. "Steal Your Heart Away" sounds a lot like the GOS version, and Stevie's vocals sound great.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink GAH!!

Ya'll are making it REALLY HARD not to go download the clip!! LOL I am holding off on the newest ones...I've already heard too much!! HAHA!!

Carne...if YOU loved this song...I'm pretty much guaranteed to love it!!
Old 03-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sonia...Your'e opinion ofcourse is valid, but I love the fact that it is such an upbeat song against what he is singing. There also seems to be a longing for better times in his voice even though it's so upbeat and catchy. It's such contradiction which is what makes it so great.

Last edited by secondhandchain; 03-09-2003 at 07:42 PM..
Old 03-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I love the irony in Peacekeeper, so I totally understand what you mean, secondhandchain. I do think some of that irony was lost in the newer version of Peacekeeper, where the Lindsey version was a little darker, and I think I'll always like that one better...but that's beside the point.

WTWCT is the first new song I've heard from Lindsey in 2 years that I haven't fallen in love with instantly. I think it's gonna take a while to grow on me. I just can't get over the question "What's The World Coming To?" being asked in that context. I know, that sounds bizarre. I just need to get used to it.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

Old 03-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I refuse to download any songs that I haven't already heard before, at least in part. So still, I only know Thrown Down, Peacekeeper, and Say You Will. I'm probably the only one unhappy with the Thrown Down change, but eh, I don't care.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted this in the previous post in the wrong thread...oops! Sorry.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:12 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm very happy with Peacekeeper being the first single. I really like the Lindsey/Stevie version and I'm hoping Fleetwood Mac will have some great success with it. It's a fantastic song.

Steal Your Heart Away is just gorgeous! I'm really liking it as well and hoping it may see a release at some point. I absolutely can't wait to hear the full version of this!

What's the World Coming To is going to take a few more listens for me. I've only played it a couple of times but it just didn't make me say "OMG, Lindsey, this is great!" like SYHA did.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like WTWCT personally. When I first heard it, I wasn't sure about the held notes in the verses, but other than that, it's a good foot tapper, and a good lead into Murrow, which is one of the best things on there for sure imo.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gazza
I like WTWCT personally. When I first heard it, I wasn't sure about the held notes in the verses, but other than that, it's a good foot tapper, and a good lead into Murrow, which is one of the best things on there for sure imo.
Yeah good point Gazza. Good to see another avid Murrow fan!
The more you mention it the more I see how this will lead really well into Murrow.

Sonia, you can think of it as WTWCT as the optimistic one and Murrow as the cynical one!
Old 03-10-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Re: GAH!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Carne...if YOU loved this song...I'm pretty much guaranteed to love it!!
You not only are going to love it. You are going to flip. In fact, I can't believe you've been able to resist. Great melody with that trademark Lindsey angst. Beautiful chord progression, reminiscent of the structure of Steal Your Heart Away and Soul Drifter. Nice mix, with the acoustic strum right up front. Great words.

The only thing I don't like is the walking on the moon line.

Does anyone else see this as Lindsey's commentary on the Enron affair and all the other corporate meltdowns?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: GAH!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Does anyone else see this as Lindsey's commentary on the Enron affair and all the other corporate meltdowns?
Maybe. It is kinda the first thing that comes to mind when you thear the word "greed."
You know, this song is reminding me a bit of "What Makes You Think You're The One?" don't know why. I agree, a great Lead-in to Murrow. Soul Drifter didn't cross my mind though. It's amazing how the focus of Lindsey's writing has really shifted away from himself since OOTC.
-Sonia