Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not willing to spoon-feed...

John, I didn't/don't have a problem with anything you've said - my comments were not directed at you. However, whilst I appreciate your suggestions, I don't consider it necessary to clarify every statement I make simply because some members have difficulty differentiating between fact and one's personal view. If I occasionally choose to exercise a little sarcasm in order to emphasise a point, then surely that's my prerogative?
I realise I'm setting myself up here, but what is it with Americans and their complete incomprehension of irony on any level? A generalisation yes and of course, not all of my detractors hail from the 'great land', but I am perpetually bewildered by this basic lack of understanding. Just a thought mind!

Last edited by Phil; 05-18-2003 at 10:38 AM..
Old 05-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

You "differenciated" it for us when you said "Oh but everything I stated was fact! Christine is all washed up and the "career" is long gone. Fact." There were no smilies or anything so how were we to know you were "not being serious" or "sarcastic" when you said this? It is your perogative to do that if you wish but if you do choose that route then you should expect such a response (IMO).

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 05-18-2003 at 10:44 AM..
Old 05-18-2003, 10:43 AM

Cool Peace

Well, I swore off this thread, but Phil's last post brought me back.

Phil, your statements--if sincere, and I have no reason to doubt them--do clarify things for me, and I appreciate you taking the time. It seems (as I suspected) that certain terms in my world generate much different reactions than in yours. Also, I probably misinterpreted your comments on her looks. I never found her overly attractive, I just don't like to see an artist judged on looks. Too many musicians, particularly young females, get careers launched mostly on sex appeal with little artistic energy to back up the flash.

So my posts were made in anger--usually not the best time to post (but it can make for lively discussion if handled maturely! Which in this case, it was not).

Anyway, my apologies for some immature and uncalled-for remarks, and let's get back to some good ol' Ledgie banter--the fun kind.

Thanks again for posting

Rainman

Pink Floyd
Old 05-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Ledgie

So Phill is not american that says it all.You are canadian or french right?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dougb
So Phill is not american that says it all.You are canadian or french right?
Please don't embarrass your fellow Americans by suggesting any sort of unfounded air of superiority over other nationalities - especially those of the Commonwealth (knocking France is alright though ). Unless you are joking - which wasn't made very clear. In that case I am the embarrassed one.