Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter Green interview

I have just discovered two clips on Youtube from somebody called maartjepietje. They are from a documentary about early Fleetwood Mac, but unfortunately the name of it is not mentioned. One clip (called Early Fleetwood Mac) is about 9 minutes and the other one (called Peter Green)about 2,5 minutes. The first one has a short filmed interview at the end with Peter Green from around 1988. The other one an interview with Peter with pictures from when he lived in Richmond - also the eighties I think. There is no new live footage, but some pictures that I haven't seen before.

I am writing this in detail because I can't attach them at the moment. I need to find out how to do it (just tried and failed).
Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Links to interview

Here it is (at last):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2bGKBX2ZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFRtzI47x-U

Ms Moose
Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Both are from a 1988 British TV doc called "Fleetwood Mac At 21".

I've been looking for an upgrade of this so let me know if you come across the whole 60 minutes of it posted somewhere so I can D/L.

John
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
mm - thanks for posting this. it was gone by the time i got to following the link. the poster closed their account, so both had vanished.

however i ran across this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSnw...eature=related

which is claimed to be 'homework' 1968 live in france. it's definitely homework and definitely live.

also a fragment of pete in orkney with the the bb allstars doing black magic woman. its ragged...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Jd_88BCNY

solos are traded, pete plays the first quietly in a typical low key splinter group approach, then there is louder solo by unidentified. then wait for the 3rd, the break right before pete starts singing again, near the end of the clip, a very close take on the original release solo, played in a different tone. that's pete playing that, right?

zero
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
however i ran across this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSnw...eature=related

which is claimed to be 'homework' 1968 live in france. it's definitely homework and definitely live.
That's a great clip, and it is indeed from France. The band recorded it live in Paris for the French TV show "Surprise Party". Christopher Hjort's "Strange Brew" book dates the taping as being done on 27 November 1968. The show was broadcast on New Year's Eve. The band also performed "My Baby's Sweet" and "Please Find My Baby" (sometimes incorrectly listed as "Dust My Broom"), both numbers led by Jeremy Spencer. Those two clips can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yGkkufpq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpxUlxUwB2k

Last edited by sharksfan2000; 01-31-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
That's a great clip, and it is indeed from France. The band recorded it live in Paris for the French TV show "Surprise Party". Christopher Hjort's "Strange Brew" book dates the taping as being done on 27 November 1968. The show was broadcast on New Year's Eve. The band also performed "My Baby's Sweet" and "Please Find My Baby" (sometimes incorrectly listed as "Dust My Broom"), both numbers led by Jeremy Spencer. Those two clips can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yGkkufpq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpxUlxUwB2k
sf2k- oh my goodness! jeremy spencer! great, great clips.

i hadn't seen either of these. thanks for the links and the background. i notice from the pr forum that you grew up in the bay area. so you really are a sharks fan.

zero - 10 in 68
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i notice from the pr forum that you grew up in the bay area. so you really are a sharks fan.
I am, but they keep disappointing me year after year!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What a pity

Quote:
mm - thanks for posting this. it was gone by the time i got to following the link. the poster closed their account, so both had vanished.
That's a pity. Maybe they will be put back on again. That happenes sometimes.

Ms Moose
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Black Magic Woman solo

Quote:
solos are traded, pete plays the first quietly in a typical low key splinter group approach, then there is louder solo by unidentified. then wait for the 3rd, the break right before pete starts singing again, near the end of the clip, a very close take on the original release solo, played in a different tone. that's pete playing that, right?

zero
Yes, it looks and sounds like Peter Green is playing it, but it is more subdued and less powerfull than the original.

Ms Moose
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, it looks and sounds like Peter Green is playing it, but it is more subdued and less powerfull than the original.

Ms Moose
ms moose- thanks for confirming.

it is a loose take, and his voice doesn't sound strong or clear, so i can understand why some of the youtube comments on the clip are to the effect that 'he's lost it.'

but when i listen to him play i hear someone capable of, well, tossing off the original solo from black magic woman if he happens to be in the mood. that he's not playing an out of phase les paul, at less than half the volume and has altered the phrasing makes it seem subdued and less powerful, but i don't know that it is exactly that.

i've heard a lot of splinter group renditions of black magic woman and nigel always played the solo. every time the thought creeps in, well maybe he really can't do it anymore. of course a song or two later pete would do something like play 'the stumble' or 'the supernatural' better than his mayall versions and i'd wiseup. so, even though this is a shambling pick-up band performance of black magic woman, i kind of think that he hasn't lost it at all.

zero
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The enigma of mr. Green's playing

Quote:
ms moose- thanks for confirming.

it is a loose take, and his voice doesn't sound strong or clear, so i can understand why some of the youtube comments on the clip are to the effect that 'he's lost it.'

but when i listen to him play i hear someone capable of, well, tossing off the original solo from black magic woman if he happens to be in the mood. that he's not playing an out of phase les paul, at less than half the volume and has altered the phrasing makes it seem subdued and less powerful, but i don't know that it is exactly that.

i've heard a lot of splinter group renditions of black magic woman and nigel always played the solo. every time the thought creeps in, well maybe he really can't do it anymore. of course a song or two later pete would do something like play 'the stumble' or 'the supernatural' better than his mayall versions and i'd wiseup. so, even though this is a shambling pick-up band performance of black magic woman, i kind of think that he hasn't lost it at all.

zero
Yes, I agree with you. The "recording" is very primitive, and his voice sounds as if he hasen't used it for a while. Still his voice has changed a lot since his younger days, but still as soulful and emotionally to the point as ever (not particularly in this take, but on the Splinter Group recordings).

Peter Green is an enigma in many ways, and I think that his playing is a lot about mood, and I think it always has been. It used to sound more mercurial and driven (this is what I mean by powerful) - but his mood - or moodswings are different now (of course - he is not 23 anymore!). Actually I think the same thing has happened to a lot of the so called guitar-heroes - they just got noicy, boring and repetetive - which he never did. "The tone" is still there (or was - as nobody has heard him play for four years).

I only saw Splintergroup once in september 2002, and I felt exactly the same way: "he has lost it...oh, no he hasn't".

His version of The Stumble on You tube (clip from The Splintergoup DVD) is brilliant - and it's gets better with every listen. And how brilliant it is becomes very clear when you compare it to Gary Moore and Mick Taylor's versions. They are very energetic....and boring (I hope I don't offend anyone by writing this).

Ms Moose
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the tone is the thing

you did not offend me,

every time i listen to peter's old stuff , I think " Why isn't he singing and playing like that now"

Yet every time I listen to him doing dangerous man, or real world I think that he has just wonderful timing that you can't learn . He has matured and grown in ways we will never know.

Too many artists work too hard in sounding "brilliant" and "snazzy".
Peter knows what it is to "sell" a song and as such is a song interpreter. This is not any different than how they used to sayabout his playing

"saying more with less" This is a great lesson from BB King it could just as well have been from Frank Sinatra or Bobby Darrin

doodyhead
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Doodyhead - you are right: The tone is the thing!

And to Wetcamelfood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Both are from a 1988 British TV doc called "Fleetwood Mac At 21".

I've been looking for an upgrade of this so let me know if you come across the whole 60 minutes of it posted somewhere so I can D/L.

John
I will certainly look for it.
But does anyone else here - some of the expert collectors like Mario for instance - know what has happened to this programme and were to look for it?

Ms Moose
Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Yes, Doodyhead - you are right: The tone is the thing!

And to Wetcamelfood:

I will certainly look for it.
But does anyone else here - some of the expert collectors like Mario for instance - know what has happened to this programme and were to look for it?

Ms Moose
Well, I can confirm the program "Fleetwood Mac at 21" was screened by BBC back in 1988 and that - thanks to R.Jim Greaves - I saved it to posterity on an old VHS tape.

Peter features on the first part of the story 1967/1970 and in his darkest/long fingernails days in Richmond.I'm also pretty sure that part of that interview is/was available on the Bob Brunning's book "Behind The Mask".

There is also a very short interview, probably from 1980/1981, where a much confused Peter,wearing sort of african clothes, talks about the "different kind of music" he had in mind......

I think that one of the shots taken during that interview ended up to be the picture sleeve of one of the many "Katmandu" LPs/CDs, titled "Guitar Hero"

Stay Green,

Mario
Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac at 21 discovered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Well, I can confirm the program "Fleetwood Mac at 21" was screened by BBC back in 1988 and that - thanks to R.Jim Greaves - I saved it to posterity on an old VHS tape.

Peter features on the first part of the story 1967/1970 and in his darkest/long fingernails days in Richmond.I'm also pretty sure that part of that interview is/was available on the Bob Brunning's book "Behind The Mask".

There is also a very short interview, probably from 1980/1981, where a much confused Peter,wearing sort of african clothes, talks about the "different kind of music" he had in mind......

I think that one of the shots taken during that interview ended up to be the picture sleeve of one of the many "Katmandu" LPs/CDs, titled "Guitar Hero"

Stay Green,

Mario
Yes, Mario - and thank you very much for saving it for posterity! -that sounds exactly like the bits of film I saw on Youtube. And yes, PG was wearing some kaftan-like blouse with a square neck and short sleeves, that is also on the cover of the Guitar Hero CD.

The film bit from in front of the house in Richmond seemed to me to be from around 1988, but I am not expert enough to be really sure. I must admit that watching it, I found it very wrong to film somebody/anybody (in this case PG) without their knowledge or consent, which was obviously the case here.

I wonder why some clips disappear from Youtube? A while back a clip of PG and Splintergroup from the ninetees - playing a version of Green Manalishi was taken of. It was not the version from the DVD "An Evening with...", and it was very good!
I don't quite understand which clips violate copyrights or whatever it is called in the music business, and which one that don't.

Who is this R. Jim Greaves?

Ms Moose