Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Ledgie

Post Mick at Stones concert last night

Just found this article on Yahoo news - two FM references: attendance of Mick and the song "She Smiled Sweetly" (of which Lindsey has done a cover).

Big stars shine at small Stones show
by Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rolling Stone Mick Jagger's star power has been put to the test as the cream of Hollywood turned out to see his veteran rock band play its first theatre show in Los Angeles in more than 30 years.

Rock stars among the 2,200 fans at the Wiltern Theatre on Monday included Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek, Fleetwood Mac co-founder Mick Fleetwood, Dwight Yoakam, Kiss singer Paul Stanley, former Rage Against the Machine singer Zack de la Rocha and Eagles bass player Timothy B. Schmit.

The film and TV community was represented by Anjelica Huston, Benicio del Toro, writer/director Cameron Crowe, comedian Dennis Miller, Peter Boyle of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and Reese Witherspoon.

Jagger joked at the outset that he would allow all the famous people -- "and everybody that thinks they're famous" -- to come up on stage and join hands.

The Wiltern stop marked the final show of the Rolling Stones' Los Angeles trilogy. They played at the 20,000-capacity Staples Centre last Thursday and the 45,000-capacity Edison Field on Saturday. The last time they played such a small venue in Los Angeles was in 1972 at the Hollywood Palladium, an old ballroom that holds about 3,500 people.

The Rolling Stones have played four other small shows since their "Licks" world tour kicked off on September 3: in Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York. They have one more left in Las Vegas on November 29. The rest of the tour is divided between stadiums and arenas, with the song selections notably different among the venues.

For almost two hours, Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood and drummer Charlie Watts mixed old tunes like "Stray Cat Blues" and B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby" with crowd-pleasing classics like "Start Me Up" and "Honky Tonk Women".

The Wiltern marked the first club show where all the songs had been previously performed on the tour. On previous club stops the Stones dusted off rare ballads such as 1967's "She Smiled Sweetly" and 1981's "Worried About You".

Surprisingly, given the high-wattage crowd, the Stones deigned to share the spotlight with only one guest, opening act Solomon Burke. The rotund soul icon staggered on stage to make a cameo appearance as the band covered Burke's 1960s tune "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love".

One of Burke's sons draped Jagger in his father's elaborate cape, much to Jagger's delight, while Burke Sr. declared the band to be "the true kings of rock 'n' roll".

Jagger responded, "Keith said you can fit three of us in that cloak!"

Tickets were priced at just $68 (43.5 pounds), and the show was an instant sellout. Prices for the other venues are as high as $350, but most dates have sold out.

---------
Julie
Old 11-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Surprised Stevie didn't go...didn't she say she is a Stones groupie,lol...

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 11-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea
...lol.........are you serious??!

Old 11-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LMAO!!

Groupie? EW!! YUCK!! LOL

Mick just went to check out the "competition"...after the concert was over, he went up to Lindsey and John and said this:

"Lads, we have NOTHING to worry about." LOL
Old 11-05-2002, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie actually does love the Rolling Stones. On the US Festival concert 1983 before Gypsy, she talks about singing everyone's favorites, "a little Rolling Stones, a little Turtles," or something along that line.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:48 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea
Yes, she has said on many occasions that she's a fan.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Hmmm...

"Mick just went to check out the "competition"...after the concert was over, he went up to Lindsey and John and said this:

"Lads, we have NOTHING to worry about." LOL"

...I hope F.M. dont try to compete ticket price-wise with the Stones. The Stones tickets are even higher than the Sir Paul McCartney tickets were (Stones tickets at the Ford Center in OKC are $90-$300 while Sir Paul's were $67-$250)...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Classic Stevie

I think Stevie has a lot of respect for artists like the Stones. I remember her once saying how "blown away" she was whenever she heard one of FM's songs(and I guess especially one she wrote) being played on the radio between The Who and Led Zeppelin.

Joe
Old 11-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess now we know why Mick was there! They must have personally given him the backstage pass in the studio...!!

Really cool that the Stones are involved with this new album...