Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New duet with LeAnn Rimes

The day before LeAnn Rimes releases her Re-Imagined EP, a collection putting unique new spins on some of her best-known songs, the country-pop powerhouse unleashes another surprise track from the collection. And this one comes with a bona fide rock superstar attached. Stevie Nicks, whose work as a solo artist ands as a member of Fleetwood Mac have influenced Rimes for decades, joins her on an updated rendition of “Borrowed,” a track originally featured on Rimes’ brilliant, yet underappreciated, 2013 LP Spitfire.

Written by Rimes with Darrell Brown and Dan Wilson, and produced by Rimes, Brown and Nicks with famed guitarist Waddy Wachtel, this updated version of “Borrowed” finds the two singers sharing melody and harmony, imbuing the tune with emotional depth yet never overpowering each other. The result is a bittersweet country ballad with just a touch of glittering pop-rock magic.

Nicks, who refers to the “How Do I Live” singer as “the best I have ever sung with,” notes that she chose to record “Borrowed” for Re-Imagined after Rimes sang it on The Tonight Show in 2013.

“I stopped in my tracks and sat down on the floor and started to cry,” the rock icon tells Rolling Stone. “I understood what she was singing about. I understood that the pain was real… and I understood that it had happened to me. When the song ended, I called my assistant to tell her that one day, I would sing this song with LeAnn. It was our destiny.”

Nicks, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with her Fleetwood Mac cohorts, says of Rimes as a vocalist, “You can’t compete with her; you can only keep up with her. To sing with her is to be blessed. She teaches you; she takes you along for the ride. She takes you on her journey and you arrive a much better singer."

"Stevie has been inspiring me as a songwriter and performer since I can remember,” adds Rimes. “To know that my music has seeped its way into her heart the way her music has into mine is magical. Connecting with her, not only musically, but on a soul level – understanding what it’s like to be a woman with passion, a pen and a desire to tell the most authentic, heartfelt truth through song, has been an experience that’s forever left an imprint on my life.”
The Re-Imagined EP, also featuring newly crafted versions of such Rimes hits as “Blue,” “How Do I Live” and “Can’t Fight the Moonlight,” is available June 20th.

https://www.rollingstone.com/country...agined-w521697

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not a fan of LeAnn Rimes but this song is pretty damn good. The harmonies are gorgeous. Thanks for posting!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM
sodascouts
This message has been deleted by sodascouts.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Be careful if you're going to Amazon to buy this, guys. There's an older version of "Borrowed" that doesn't have Stevie on it. It looks like the "Re-Imagined" one isn't available yet, although other "Re-Imagined" tracks are.

Please tell me this isn't going to be one of those things where you have to buy the whole EP to get the Stevie track....

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-19-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Old 06-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Be careful if you're going to Amazon to buy this, guys. There's an older version of "Borrowed" that doesn't have Stevie on it. It looks like the "Re-Imagined" one isn't available yet, although other "Re-Imagined" tracks are.

Please tell me this isn't going to be one of those things were you have to be the whole EP to get the Stevie track....
I love it when Stevie sneaks a duet in on us. I don't think any of us had a clue this was even happening unless I missed something. I love it.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I really like this song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Nicks, who refers to the “How Do I Live” singer as “the best I have ever sung with,” notes that she chose to record “Borrowed” for Re-Imagined after Rimes sang it on The Tonight Show in 2013.
So do we really think that Stevie believes Rimes is the best she's ever sung with, or is this maybe Stevie being generous?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't want to over-analyze what is a compliment- it's like when someone makes you dinner, you say, "That was the best ever." It's not like you line up every dinner you ever had and do a taste test. It was just what it was- how she felt in the moment.

I agree- the harmonies are gorgeous. This was a nice surprise.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not feeling it, sorry. Won't be a Top Country nor POP hit by any stretch.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So do we really think that Stevie believes Rimes is the best she's ever sung with, or is this maybe Stevie being generous?
She's probably just complimenting her. Stevie sang with Don Henley lol, I doubt she thinks Leann Rimes is better than Don Henley.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Please tell me this isn't going to be one of those things where you have to buy the whole EP to get the Stevie track....
Thank you so much for the heads up! Appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very nice. She has enough duets and one-offs for a box set now, surely!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder who she's singing about. She said she fell to the floor when she heard the song, because she'd been there (or something to that effect)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

super fun to hear a new track...however, I feel the producer and engineer did nothing nuanced with SN's harmony track. It is there, seemingly untouched, layered evenly over the lead vocal like fondant over a cake--same thickness, same consistency throughout. This is where LB would've shined by pushing and pulling and resting the right tones/notes, using dynamics and reverb and whatever else.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the hell out of some new music and glad that she is asked to do these things.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I wonder who she's singing about. She said she fell to the floor when she heard the song, because she'd been there (or something to that effect)
I wondered the same thing. It's from the perspective of a woman who's with a guy who belongs to someone else, so I'm guessing the lyrics remind Stevie of one of the married men that she has dated. The question is - which one? (Assuming she only had one guy in mind.)

Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wondered the same thing. It's from the perspective of a woman who's with a guy who belongs to someone else, so I'm guessing the lyrics remind Stevie of one of the married men that she has dated. The question is - which one? (Assuming she only had one guy in mind.)
Well Stevie's dramatic but I would assume it's more than one guy. She was involved with various married/taken men (Mick, Derek Taylor, Rupert Hine, the rehab guy she wrote FWIW about, etc). Why she did that numerous times I don't really understand but she probably was just able to relate to the feeling the song conveyed about that type of situation.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

I just purchased the single off iTunes and it's only the one song. I'm in Australia so it should be available over there pretty soon.

Nice harmony, but as someone already said more could've been done to make it pop a little.

Thanks for sharing, I had no idea this was on the way.