User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Actually, I heard them play it in 1974 during the Heroes Are Hard To Find tour. (They did two Kirwan tunes that night..."Station Man" & "Jewel Eyed Judy")...unfortunately, even with all my detective work, I've yet to find a recording of that show; it was amazing!
Never knew that - I would've liked to hear Bob do those
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't imagine Bob singing either or those Kirwan tunes. Odd choice for him. But I love Station Man!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article on Black Crowe Robinson:
Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/01/2...#storylink=cpy

Sporting contributions by such jam-band elite as Warren Haynes, John Medeski and Larry Campbell, the record is alive with loose grooves, wide-open interplay and the kind of focused but wonderfully unvarnished electric romps that spin the years back to the late '60s and early '70s. In fact, a standout on the album is a cover of the Danny Kirwan-era Fleetwood Mac nugget Station Man, where Robinson luxuriates over a lazy, hazy boogie groove.

"Fleetwood Mac is just one of those bands that went through so many changes but was always great in every incarnation — from the Peter Green blues songs right up through the pop stuff with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. They were always great, and always great for different reasons.
"Station Man was just a song I found myself listening to. I felt I could do it some justice, so I cut it."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/01/2...#storylink=cpy
Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Junior Ledgie

I agree with vivfox, the intro riff sounds really very similar, the rest of course is completely different!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rolling Stone

David Fricke's Year in Rock: Shows, Albums and Memories From 2014

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...#ixzz3OXt4eYFo
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Phosphorescent Harvest (Silver Arrow)
Rich Robinson, The Ceaseless Sight (The End); City Winery, New York City, June 15th
Trigger Hippy, Trigger Hippy (Rounder); Gramercy Theater, New York City, November 20th A feast of Black Crowes, in installments: Phosphorescent Harvest is the third, straight winner from Chris' Brotherhood, a California dreaming of day-glo R&B, loamy country and easy-going ascension. There was a certain FM-radio hit in the first track, "Shore Power," with its Kraftwerk-at-the-Fillmore electro-percolation – if last year had been 1973. Rich's third solo album was a seamless, earthy whirl of electric-blues aggression and psychedelic introspection, with strong hints of Fleetwood Mac's Danny Kirwan in Rich's courtly vocals. He reinforced that connection at City Winery with a great cover of Kirwan's "Station Man", from the 1970 Mac gem, Kiln House.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...#ixzz3OXshLekm
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 01-18-2015, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Old thread! But I just found it. The guitar riffs are very much like Station Man. This could either be a deliberate rip off or an untended coincidence.

I really like the original album version.
I like the original live slow-burn version.
I was unaware it was performed in 1974 with just Christine and Bob Welch?? Would love to hear that! I wish there was comprehensive documentation of the set lists from all the performances circa 1968-1974.

I absolutely love the 1975-1976 live Buckingham Nickified version. Lindsey and Stevie did a great job reinventing the Fleetwood Mac songs that came before them. It's understandable why most of those songs disappeared from the set lists. Only Oh Well was the last song standing. When Rick Vito joined the band, he naturally gave homage to the Peter Green era.

Christine has such amazing run of songs from 1971-1974 . It's too bad she didn't occasionall.y drop one of those songs into the set lists from time to time. I was hoping, on this recent tour, she would have performed Why. Even if it was unknown to a large fraction of the audience, they would have loved it anyway. 'Wow...is that one of her new songs?"

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-18-2015 at 04:02 AM..