User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question More edits on Future Games?

We know from the Chain box that there was stuff cut out of Lay It All Down from Future Games and I was thinking about the timing inaccuracies on some other tracks on Future Games such as:

Woman Of 1000 Years (actually around 5:23, listed on both vinyl & CD editions of this album at 8:20)
Morning Rain (actually around 5:32, listed on both vinyl & CD editions of this album at 6:22)
Sometimes (actually around 5:21, listed on both vinyl & CD editions of this album at 6:25)

So I wonder if there are parts of these tracks we haven't heard (i.e. that maybe the times they list were the running times of the original unedited versions then maybe after some edits they put the edited versions on the album but forgot to change the running times on the packaging to the running times of the edits)? Any thoughts?

John
Old 09-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain box had a complete different take of "Lay It All Down"...not an unedited version.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Well I just meant the Chain one has that extra verse or whatever and find it interesting they could be so way off with a good chunk of the timings from that album etc.

John
Old 09-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess they figure if you were stoned while listening to it, that's how long the songs FELT!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

It’s an interesting thought nevertheless. Now the next time I play Future Games I’m going to have to listen very carefully to those three tracks to see if I can spot any edit points!

I think I read once that What A Shame was recorded and added to the album at the last minute after the record label said that they would not release an album with only seven tracks. I’m really surmising here but could it be possible that edits were made (or shorter takes recorded) in order to make room for this song?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Gray View Post
It’s an interesting thought nevertheless. Now the next time I play Future Games I’m going to have to listen very carefully to those three tracks to see if I can spot any edit points!

I think I read once that What A Shame was recorded and added to the album at the last minute after the record label said that they would not release an album with only seven tracks. I’m really surmising here but could it be possible that edits were made (or shorter takes recorded) in order to make room for this song?
Never thought of that. There must be more to What A Shame also since it has the fade in etc.

John
Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I was wondering about this ever since I first got the album. It makes a lot of sense that they might've trimmed other tracks to shoehorn an eighth in like that! I've always thought of it as their 'prog' album, and considering a Yes album was released in the early seventies with 'only' three tracks, I'd love to hear an even more proggy edition of seven tracks with room for the songs to stretch out even further (or eight too, that'd be fine).

Heck, let's just go for a 'Deluxe Edition' with the single sides from the time to boot! Purple Dancer and Dragonfly, and the Dragonfly with Bob Welch that was on Youtube.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Gray View Post
the record label said that they would not release an album with only seven tracks
Interesting that Reprise would say this but a year earlier they would put out PG's End Of The Game which has only 6 (and much less commercial tracks to boot).

John
Old 09-13-2014, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know if it's relevant, but on a Vinyl album there was a big problem as to how much you could cram on a side- the groove became smaller and I think, therefore, the volume decreased (I think Todd Rundgren was a pioneer in trying to sort out this compromise ) but within this limit, also one had to carefully consider the last track on the first side ^You couldn't have have half the track on one side and the rest of it at the start of the other side when you flipped it over and this sometimes caused major problems in deciding the track running order . I believe many mastering engineers and producers were very grateful when the CD was introduced and this was no longer a consideration.!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Don't know if it's relevant, but on a Vinyl album there was a big problem as to how much you could cram on a side- the groove became smaller and I think, therefore, the volume decreased (I think Todd Rundgren was a pioneer in trying to sort out this compromise ) but within this limit, also one had to carefully consider the last track on the first side ^You couldn't have have half the track on one side and the rest of it at the start of the other side when you flipped it over and this sometimes caused major problems in deciding the track running order . I believe many mastering engineers and producers were very grateful when the CD was introduced and this was no longer a consideration.!
Oh no doubt this came in to play and certainly strengthens the possibility that they had to edit things to fit in What A Shame if Reprise did say there has to be another track (i.e. 8:20+6:22+8:15=22:47 & 5:23+5:32+2:13+8:15=21:23) but Peter had just 3 tracks a side for End Of The Game and they let that go. He was well under the threshold time-wise, but I doubt they heard much in the way of singles material on those 6 tracks!

John