Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie owes this band NOTHING

So, I can totally understand all of your frustrations about Stevie doing a tour and likely being the main reason that the new FM album is delayed until further notice. I'm annoyed too. BUT. I was thinking about what she has contributed to this band since 1975 and it's astonishing. Also, lots of people fail to recognise many of the following points. I've made loads about how she has contributed to this band.

Here goes...

- 1976 - Rhiannon is the single that propels FM to #1.
- 1977 - Dreams is the Mac's ONLY #1 single.
- 1981 - Stevie has enormous success with Bella Donna but keeps her
supporting tour short in order to join FM in the studio for Mirage.
- 1982 - The success of Bella Donna creates more interest in the new Mac
album and ultimately helps it to reach #1.
- 1987 - Even though Buckingham leaves, Stevie stays with the Mac and tours
for over a year.
- 1990 - After a successful solo album and supporting tour, Stevie agrees to join
the Mac for Behind the Mask. She is warned that it could sell less
than her own solo album and harm her image. It does sell less but she
still chooses to go on a huge supporting tour.
- 1991 - Even after Stevie's unwavering commitment to the band, Mick refuses
to let her have Silver Springs, which is HER SONG, for her
Timespace album.
- 1997 - Landslide is the song that captures the most attention from The
Dance
and helps the album reach #1.
- 2002 - Even after a successful solo album and tour, Stevie goes back in to the
studio with the Mac even though her close friend and ally Christine is no
longer with them.
- 2003 - Stevie goes on a mammoth tour to help support the album which lasts
well over a year.
- 2009 - Another huge tour with the Mac without Christine.
- 2013 - Another huge tour with the Mac without Christine.
- 2014 - She is willing to put off promotion and touring in support of her new
solo album to tour with the Mac for over a year.

So, for the minute I can't think of anything else exactly but does that help to demonstrate how committed and vital she has been to Fleetwood Mac? If you don't think so then I think ignorance plays a large part in your judgement.

She's more than entitled to do what she wants. She owed the band nothing, even though I would LOVE a new album to come eventually when she and the rest of the band are all happy and ready.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New Years 1975- Mick Fleetwood asks Lindsey to join the band and Lindsey won't join unless he can bring Stevie
Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

I'm sure there are contracts stating otherwise
Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hate to nitpick but it was "Say You Love Me" that finally propelled "Fleetwood Mac " to number one .

Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think she owes them anything other than clarity about her intentions. She's voluntarily in a band and there are certain obligations that come with that.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's words to Fleetwood Mac (2016)

You know I love you
so you probably won't get what I'm gong to do
I'm walking away from you
it probably won't make much sense to you
but I'm trying to save you
from all of the things I'll probably say or do

I'll probably do...

You'll probably call me a fool
and say I'm doing exactly what a coward would do
you know that I love you
it's a shame, what a lame way to live but what can I do?

I'm a Martyr for my love for you
a martyr of my love for you
Old 09-08-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Hate to nitpick but it was "Say You Love Me" that finally propelled "Fleetwood Mac " to number one .
I love it when you're nit picky!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Senior Ledgie

If this band did not expand and contract... It would not be FM.

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 09-08-2016, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that being in a band is giving and taking.
Stevie is well known for biting the hand that feeds her.

At the very least, she does owe the band RESPECT.

And the number she has been playing with Lindsey and Chris over recording an album is anything but that.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with those that believe Stevie owes this band NOTHING. I don't think Christine or Lindsey do either. And if John were to quit, I'd say he's paid his dues, too. It's long been known that Mick keeps this band together. And he's probably the one that has had to count on it the most. He has guilted all of them from time to time to get back on the road as he makes no money on royalties and he spends money lavashly. (well, they all do- this is a band known for it's excesses)

The other part of the discussion here is Stevie owes the band respect. I think she has made her intentions clear to Mick and he doesn't like it. So he (like they all do) panders to the press to get leverage, hoping it will push Stevie back "into line" with his band. I believe she has probably been totally clear with her intentions. But Mick wants the Rumours 5. He needs the Rumours 5 and he now has Christine back.

As Michele said multiple times, I think the rest of band is to be blamed for not moving forward. They should do what they want to do: Break out into solo or duet groups if they want, record and tour as Fleetwood Mac, (as someone mentions a la Tango) and do whatever they want. Or, if they choose, they can wait for Stevie. I suspect Mick will continue to try to guilt and pressure Stevie in the press. But I agree, none of them own anything to Fleetwood Mac at this point. If Mick wants a band, he could find a replacement for any of them. It's Fleetwood Mac's history.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I agree with those that believe Stevie owes this band NOTHING. I don't think Christine or Lindsey do either. And if John were to quit, I'd say he's paid his dues, too. It's long been known that Mick keeps this band together. And he's probably the one that has had to count on it the most. He has guilted all of them from time to time to get back on the road as he makes no money on royalties and he spends money lavashly. (well, they all do- this is a band known for it's excesses)

The other part of the discussion here is Stevie owes the band respect. I think she has made her intentions clear to Mick and he doesn't like it. So he (like they all do) panders to the press to get leverage, hoping it will push Stevie back "into line" with his band. I believe she has probably been totally clear with her intentions. But Mick wants the Rumours 5. He needs the Rumours 5 and he now has Christine back.

As Michele said multiple times, I think the rest of band is to be blamed for not moving forward. They should do what they want to do: Break out into solo or duet groups if they want, record and tour as Fleetwood Mac, (as someone mentions a la Tango) and do whatever they want. Or, if they choose, they can wait for Stevie. I suspect Mick will continue to try to guilt and pressure Stevie in the press. But I agree, none of them own anything to Fleetwood Mac at this point. If Mick wants a band, he could find a replacement for any of them. It's Fleetwood Mac's history.

I agree with this totally. I think Stevie HAS made her intentions clear to the band and Mick is refusing to accept it. Just because WE don't know that for a fact, WE speculate and spew hatred. WE form opinions based on hearsay and the fact that Mick whines about her every chance he gets. You don't see Christine and John doing interviews and complaining about Stevie's reluctance to record. Lindsey.......well we all know how that works. She shoots barbs at him, he shoots barbs at her, they kiss and make up today, tomorrow they hate each other. It's called good old fashioned LOVE/HATE. It adds drama to an already volatile relationship and they both love that drama. SO, yes, I do think that the other members of this band are clear on where Stevie stands. The rest of us don't really matter in the scheme of things. Love her or hate her, she's got a right to do what she wants and apparently she wants to go solo right now. Good for her!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don't think she owes them anything other than clarity about her intentions. She's voluntarily in a band and there are certain obligations that come with that.
How do you/we know that Stevie has not in fact told Mick "I will NEVER work with Lindsey on a new FM record ever again"...Personally I think she has in fact told Mick this and it looks like Mick has tried every trick in the book short of firing her to try and get her to change her mind...How many years since the last full FM record???Looks like Stevie is standing her ground and Mick is unwilling to give up his "cash cow" touring revenue in order to move FM forwards...
Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
How do you/we know that Stevie has not in fact told Mick "I will NEVER work with Lindsey on a new FM record ever again"...Personally I think she has in fact told Mick this and it looks like Mick has tried every trick in the book short of firing her to try and get her to change her mind...How many years since the last full FM record???Looks like Stevie is standing her ground and Mick is unwilling to give up his "cash cow" touring revenue in order to move FM forwards...
Keep in mind, it's a bit telling that she wants to be the boss right now.
She took a potshot at LB. She fired back at Mick a bit. But at the end of the day, I don't think a 3 month tour is going to affect a FM album in 2017. Mick is touring, as well. I think she may have picked the down time correctly. If she extends the tour into 2017 that's different. But I think this still may be on track.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

I think Stevie has great respect for FM but a certain band member has little respect for Stevie as an artist and that's the problem...After all the years Stevie has been in this band I think she has earned the right to record a few songs within the frame work of FM the way she wants...If Mick were smart he would tell Lindsey "Look Stevie is going to record her songs the way she wants with the producer of her choice and I don't want you giving her a hard time over it just do what she wants"

If FM would have done this the record probably would have been out by now...Yes Stevie's song may have been different but at least the complainers would have their FM songs from CM/LB...
Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I think Stevie has great respect for FM but a certain band member has little respect for Stevie as an artist and that's the problem...After all the years Stevie has been in this band I think she has earned the right to record a few songs within the frame work of FM the way she wants...If Mick were smart he would tell Lindsey "Look Stevie is going to record her songs the way she wants with the producer of her choice and I don't want you giving her a hard time over it just do what she wants"

If FM would have done this the record probably would have been out by now...Yes Stevie's song may have been different but at least the complainers would have their FM songs from CM/LB...
Who's complaining?