Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Weird Midnight Special Question

Okay, this one is weird, but it's been bugging me. About three months ago, I downloaded Rhiannon from the Midnight Special (75 or 76??), anyway...it turned out to be an mpeg, not an mp3 (I never even looked). If anyone has seen this, *WHO* is the lady that does the introduction????

"A few weeks ago, Fleet-Wood Mac day-booed their new album, and introduced a song...called Rhiannon..." Every time I watch it, I laugh for about a minute...what the hell is day-booed!?!?!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think you're talking about Helen Reddy.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Weird Midnight Special Question

Quote:
Originally posted by jmn3
Okay, this one is weird, but it's been bugging me. About three months ago, I downloaded Rhiannon from the Midnight Special (75 or 76??), anyway...it turned out to be an mpeg, not an mp3 (I never even looked). If anyone has seen this, *WHO* is the lady that does the introduction????

"A few weeks ago, Fleet-Wood Mac day-booed their new album, and introduced a song...called Rhiannon..." Every time I watch it, I laugh for about a minute...what the hell is day-booed!?!?!
That is a great performance of that song! I love Stevie's flipped out hair! I just saw this for the first time the other day.

This is a screen shot from a Midnight Special performance - but the song was World Turning. Its from LilyRhiannon's site:

http://www.arizonalily.org/lilyrhian...-turning-live/

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .

Last edited by Mad4stevie; 08-05-2003 at 10:26 PM..
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Weird Midnight Special Question

Quote:
Originally posted by jmn3

That's Helen Reddy saying "debuted."

Your date question ('75 or '76) is vexing. I wish someone knew just when the Midnight Special performances (four of them that I know of) were recorded. The April '76 date is a broadcast date, not a performance date. If Reddy is correct, she refers to the album being released "a few weeks ago," which would put the performance in August or September (1975). But I have trouble believing it's as old as that. Remember the pics of the Balboa Stadium show (August 31) floating around, or even the late summer video of the Landover show? Stevie & Chris had not yet started wearing their flashy black stage attire.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL - that "day-booed" always makes me laugh....and Stevie's hair! It's like she was bored and spent the entire day with her new curling iron.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LMAO I always thought that lady was hilaroius too. I crack up every time I watch my video compliation and she comes on the screen. Oddly enough, the way she shakes her head and lits her eyebrows when she says "Fleetwood Mac" right before they perform always strikes me as really funny for some reason. Is she famous for anything?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SmthngOfADreamr
Is she famous for anything?
You haven't heard of Helen Reddy????

Here I've done your research: http://www.helenreddy.com/

Last edited by chiliD; 08-06-2003 at 12:32 PM..
Old 08-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Livia
LOL - that "day-booed" always makes me laugh....and Stevie's hair! It's like she was bored and spent the entire day with her new curling iron.
LMAO - that is so true!!!!!!! She is such a Breck Girl there!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-07-2003, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LMAO I always thought that lady was hilaroius too. I crack up every time I watch my video compliation and she comes on the screen. Oddly enough, the way she shakes her head and lits her eyebrows when she says "Fleetwood Mac" right before they perform always strikes me as really funny for some reason. Is she famous for anything?
This is great. I'm so glad I'm not the only freak who laughs his ass off every time I watch this one. I've got to watch it right now..........

Okay, yep...now I know exactly what you are talking about with the way she says "Fleeetwood Mac." I still can't get past the "day-booed" thing...that is priceless!

And I had no idea that "The Crazy Day-Booed Lady" was Helen Reddy! I feel slightly stupid now, but honestly...I was four to five years away from being born...so I get a pardon!

Day-booed......LOL
Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I'm going to have to say this is from '75. If Ol' Day-Booed is talking correctly, then it must be in '75 with the White album just being released, er - daybooed, a few weeks prior.

Also, the arrangement and sound of the song are very '75 tour-ish sounding...or early '76 I guess. I'm still sticking with 75 on this one. Someone e-mail Helen Reddy's website and ask her if she remembers when this one was taped?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

By 1976, wasn't Stevie's hair more "shag" than "breck girl"? Since her hair is "breck girl" in the midnight special, I'm guessing it was 1975. Good reason, huh?

By the way, this is my favorite Rhiannon. Not only do you get to hear the incredible "early years" ending, but you get to see it too.

Last edited by KathyD; 08-07-2003 at 11:42 PM..
Old 08-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Is she famous for anything?
Ouch, I'm only 30 and that still made me feel old!

For the "younguns"... Helen Reddy played Nora in 'Pete's Dragon' (Lampie's daughter, who was pining away for her long lost love, Paul).
She also had a huge hit with "I Am Woman (Hear Me Roar)."
Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Ouch, I'm only 30 and that still made me feel old!

For the "younguns"... Helen Reddy played Nora in 'Pete's Dragon' (Lampie's daughter, who was pining away for her long lost love, Paul).
Lest we forget the eerie parallels between these women:
Candle on the Water/Candlebright
Not to mention Battle of the Pete's Dragon.
As I recall, Stevie had wanted the Shelley Winters role, but she was just too hot.

- Jake
Old 08-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Date question solved!

On my video of this performance there is a date placed in the video prior to the performance (when Ms. day-booed is on the screen). The date is April 9, 1976.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 08-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't forget that Ms. Reddy also had a hit with "Delta Dawn," previously a hit for Tanya Tucker.