The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me the best Fleetwood Mac song ever is Silver Springs. Stevies Lyrics are powerful and she she sang it live on the dance just blew me away.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Little Lies is one of My favorites and of course Seven Wonders!!! That was single right? Those are my favorite singles by the Mac and I really like the current Say You Will Single on the charts now. As far as Stevie's solo singles go, my favorite would be Two Kinds of Love and Leather and Lace. I don't know if these are all singles because I rarely listen to the radio, but I'm pretty sure they are... Is Seven Wonders a single? This is starting to bug me because I love the song so much. So if it is a single that would be my pick!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 07-28-2003, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This doesn't seem to be a subjective answer to the question.

"Dreams" was the ONLY #1 single ever attained by FM. So, that would make it the "Best Mac Single". Unless you were accounting for taste.....

If so..... "Gypsy" has to be about the greatest pop song ever written, in my opinion. "Sara" should've been, but it wasn't.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by The Tower
This doesn't seem to be a subjective answer to the question.

"Dreams" was the ONLY #1 single ever attained by FM. So, that would make it the "Best Mac Single". Unless you were accounting for taste.....

If so..... "Gypsy" has to be about the greatest pop song ever written, in my opinion. "Sara" should've been, but it wasn't.
"Owner Of A Lonely Heart" was Yes's only #1 single. But you also got to remember that not only is that song one of the weakest on the 90125 album, but it's not representative of what Yes is really about. Not in the least. People remember Yes for "Heart Of The Sunrise" and "Close To The Edge." Many fans consider "Owner" to be the lucky fluke they had along the way so chart placement has absolutely nothing to do with it. Any Yes fan would take the lower placing "Roundabout" or "Wondrous Stories" as best Yes singles ANY day.

"Think About Me" was a stinker compared to "Dreams" if we're going by chart placement for greatest, yet I prefer "Think About Me" by a huge margin. So once again, it's a matter of taste more than chart placement and units sold. I think I read somewhere that although "Dreams" was the highest charting, "Hold Me" actually sold more anyways. I could be wrong there though I'm really not sure.

As far as "Silver Springs" I might have to say that would be very close to "Hold Me" or better if it were actually a single. Why that song was a B-side is beyond me and I'm guessing pretty much everybody else too. How in the hell did that get swept aside for "I Don't Want To Know?" They must have been doing way more coke than what was reported. Unless it was for a good reason I don't know about. Anyone care to fill me in? I'm basically a Mac newbie.

And Seven Wonders was a single, with Book Of Miracles as the B-side in the US and UK. I hear lots of good things about Seven Wonders, and I'm really tempted to buy Tango In The Night as I also love the deliciously cheesy 80s gloss of "Isn't It Midnight" along with the familar singles, but I've never heard Seven Wonders. I'm also really curious to hear the song where Stevie sounds like she's croaking a bunch of paranoid garbage.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Sara, Spare Me a Little, Man of The World and Big Love. Peter Green does and insturmental of Man Of The World on his Destiny Road album and it's really beautiful. It makes me get a little sad. Every time I hear it I just want to start barking "C'mon Peter, sing!"
I love "Spare Me a Little" too, great song, didn't know it was released as a single though.

I will have to say that the ever-popular, always over-played Dreams is my favorite Fleetwood Mac single. I say this mainly because when I think of Fleetwood Mac (the Buckingham/Nicks years anyway) I think of that song, that song IS Fleetwood Mac in my opinion, especially at that particular time in history. I was only two years old when that song came out, but it reminds me of living in Carson City, NV before my family moved to Texas and those will always be fond memories for me.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can understand the argument that a band's biggest selling/highest charting single isn't necessarily their "best" single.

In the case of a band like Yes having a hit with "Owner Of A Lonely Heart," or the Grateful Dead having a hit with "Touch Of Grey," it is true that these songs are in no way indicative of their best work.

But for Fleetwood Mac, "Dreams" pretty much encapsulates many of the things that make them so recognizable... ace production, exquisite harmonies, reflective lyrics filled with compelling imagery, and a wonderfully memorable chorus. On top of that, add Stevie's unique voice... which, in many people's opinion, was at its all-time best.
Mix in a dose of the drama, glamour, and intrigue which surrounded Fleetwood Mac at the time, and lent itself to the music, and you have a truly top-notch single... and one that is a perfect example of "the best of Fleetwood Mac."
Old 07-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew

But for Fleetwood Mac, "Dreams" pretty much encapsulates many of the things that make them so recognizable... ace production, exquisite harmonies, reflective lyrics filled with compelling imagery, and a wonderfully memorable chorus. On top of that, add Stevie's unique voice...
And the trademark "Mac Stomp"

Boom---chuck Ba-boom chuck, Boom---chuck Ba-boom chuck...etc.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
" I hear lots of good things about Seven Wonders, and I'm really tempted to buy Tango In The Night as I also love the deliciously cheesy 80s gloss of "Isn't It Midnight" along with the familar singles, but I've never heard Seven Wonders. I'm also really curious to hear the song where Stevie sounds like she's croaking a bunch of paranoid garbage.
BUY IT!!! I wholeheartedly recommend it, and daresay I play it as much as Rumours (gasp)... I know. And I'm not saying its as good as Rumours. But it is a lot of fun... so much fun! The beats alone have me banging on pots for hours. Big Love, Seven Wonders, Everywhere, Tango in the Night, Little Lies, Isn't It Midnight, and When I See You Again are all absolutely stellar tracks. All the others are solid to excellent as well, with perhaps every song except "Mystified" bearing repeated listening. Sure its 80's... but more importantly, its superb. BUY IT!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

yeah "Tango" is definetly 80's... I don't really "care" for 80's music but there are great tracks on there... "Seven Wonders", "Little Lies", and "When I See You Again" are my favorites...
Old 08-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Ledgie

Best single...hmm...

Since we've already covered how "best" is subjective, I'll stay away from Dreams.

If we're talking best according to my tastes, I would probably say something like Hold Me as well, simply because it provokes lots of great childhood memories. My mom used to play a bunch of 45's in those days. I remember the rotation...Don Henley's Dirty Laundry, John Cougar's Hurts So Good, and Hold Me.

I also remember my sister and I staying up late hoping to see the video on MTV. We got a kick out of John and Mick messing around with all of those guitars in the sand.

If we're talking best according to the long-lasting impact of the band, I would say Go Your Own Way or Don't Stop. Even though Dreams was this incarnation's only number 1 hit in the US, I think the former two are more recognized as big hit songs by the band. Plus, they're great foot-stomping rock songs.

And anyone passing up the current tour because Christine isn't involved is really making a huge mistake, in my opinion. I didn't want to see the band live during the BTM and Time days because Lindsey was gone. But, I think the situation was different, because they attempted to "plug the hole" rather than just going on with what they had. And even without Christine, you have the core of the so-called Buckingham-Nicks era of Fleetwood Mac. The fireworks Lindsey and Stevie produce on stage (as staged as they may be these days) are worth seeing. I miss Chris too, BTW.